• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help save our disc golf course!

erocscot

My home course in Utah is in danger of getting ripped out to be replaced with baseball diamonds and soccer fields. I've created an online petition to show the city why they should keep this course and why it would it be a tragedy to pull it out.

Please sign the petition and let the city know why you love this sport, how it has changed your life, or anything else you think might help the city to see how great this sport is and why they should keep this course.

Thank you so much!

https://www.change.org/p/saveartdye

XlFSkmBQqZRrYpd-556x313-noPad.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, this is my main course, I have used this area since I was a kid. It's arguably one of the best, most challenging, most popular courses in the state! This can't happen!

Hey, mine too! I live in Lehi and play this course every week. We talked to the city and the PARC tax that was passed this week will go towards this plan that I posted. They said they would start out with the baseball diamond up top that would tear out holes 14-18.

sign and commented.

Good luck.

I looked over some satellite maps and land use / zoning maps. Are the parcels directly NW of American Fork Boat Harbor along the shore have any possibility of disc golf course usage?

That is a large scale project that will cost millions of dollars. The traffic it would produce will outweigh any petition you are going to be able to come up with. So unfortunately that course is probably gone.

The angle I would try to take would be to talk about how many people will lose out on an activity that they enjoy, and that while you understand this land is worth more as a baseball field you don't want to lose disc golf. Then see if they would be willing to set aside a small bit of that budget aside to replace that course with a new one. A disc golf course (without tons and tons of tree removal) would probably be like 1-3% of that total budged.

I would scout out city owned land before hand and write up a small budget for building a new course. Honestly a disc golf course is extremely cheap. Also you could then have a chance to build a brand new course.

This is just what I would try. If they already have plans drawn up(which cost a lot more then you think, thousands more) its going to be incredibly hard to keep that course.

Sorry, tried to sign. Work browser does not support. Looks like an uphill fight against the powers of baseball/softball and soccer. Good luck. I will try to sign this at home.

Our town just went through and installed a baseball/softball complex that is to be used for tournaments and the like. It's a good idea EXCEPT it's miles from any type of lodging, no where close to anything to do aside from playing and it cost the taxpayers over 4 million. They justify it by saying it'll pump more tax spending back to the town.

Sorry, the disc golf course is done.

Best solution will to have the parks department REPLACE it in another area. They already have the baskets so that is a huge expense they don't have to cover again.

Good luck.

Our town just went through and installed a baseball/softball complex that is to be used for tournaments and the like. It's a good idea EXCEPT it's miles from any type of lodging, no where close to anything to do aside from playing and it cost the taxpayers over 4 million. They justify it by saying it'll pump more tax spending back to the town.

Sorry, the disc golf course is done.

Best solution will to have the parks department REPLACE it in another area. They already have the baskets so that is a huge expense they don't have to cover again.

Good luck.

Yeah, I agree with bballr4567 and Stover. But I still signed the petition, hopefully your efforts will be enough to convince the city to build a new course elsewhere.

I normally don't sign these as I think they're a waste of time, but we may be losing a nearby nine holer for similarly stupid reasons soon, so count me in. Hopefully, you'll at least get a replacement course out of this.

Make sure you get some people who have some actual skin in the game (i.e. people who actually pay taxes and can vote in the appropriate jurisdiction) to voice their concerns. Getting something in the local rag/TV will help too.