• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HELP with analyzing form

tomjulio

Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
Finally got around to capturing my driving form this year. Super rusty after winter and letting an elbow injury heal.

Went from consistent 350+ straight (450 max) plateau to a whole lot less.

Watching my form it looks awkward now. Suggestions, thoughts, analysis would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I've never thrown 400, much less 450. I'm only chiming in because I've been watching so many vids of top pros to improve my own form lately.

It seems to me that the top tour players have their momentum going forward right at the moment of the hit, but it looks here like you're standing very upright when you release the disc. It looks like you accelerate then pull off at the last second - or you didn't "commit" to the shot all the way through.

Hope I'm helping and seeing the correct things, it will help us both!

I would say as far as motion goes, you look pretty good so I suspect it has to be something with timing. Need someone with a good eye cause I cant catch it though.

Take my advice with a grain of salt, because I've never thrown 400, much less 450. I'm only chiming in because I've been watching so many vids of top pros to improve my own form lately.

It seems to me that the top tour players have their momentum going forward right at the moment of the hit, but it looks here like you're standing very upright when you release the disc. It looks like you accelerate then pull off at the last second - or you didn't "commit" to the shot all the way through.

Hope I'm helping and seeing the correct things, it will help us both!

Yeah, I can see what you're seeing there too now. Maybe that's the awkward part that looks out of place.

-reach back further
-not a lot of shoulder rotation (goes hand in hand w/ 'not enough reach back', obv.)
-your 'pull' seems to begin before, or simultaneous to, your foot planting as opposed to after you are planted
-you seem to be swinging the disc around your body in a bit of an arc, instead of bringing it forward in a straighter line
-hips don't seem to be closing and opening with enough force or the proper timing
-you are releasing the disc quite a bit before it gets all the way up/around to your right pec area
-it's hard to tell because of the grass, but it doesn't appear you are actively pivoting/rotating at either the heel or ball of your plant foot as you uncoil

looks like some winter rust to scrape off, to me...but what do i know- you're the self-proclaimed smartest guy on this site!

You are pulling early and before the weight gets forward with a weak follow through and nose up. I agree about the foot pivot, hips and arm swing as stated above, but they are easily fixed by getting the timing of the pull, and weight forward.

-reach back further
-not a lot of shoulder rotation (goes hand in hand w/ 'not enough reach back', obv.)
-your 'pull' seems to begin before, or simultaneous to, your foot planting as opposed to after you are planted
-you seem to be swinging the disc around your body in a bit of an arc, instead of bringing it forward in a straighter line
-hips don't seem to be closing and opening with enough force or the proper timing
-you are releasing the disc quite a bit before it gets all the way up/around to your right pec area
-it's hard to tell because of the grass, but it doesn't appear you are actively pivoting/rotating at either the heel or ball of your plant foot as you uncoil

looks like some winter rust to scrape off, to me...but what do i know- you're the self-proclaimed smartest guy on this site!

awesome and awesome! thank you for the insight and the humbleness.

--tomjulio (world's largest penile implant recipient)

You are pulling early and before the weight gets forward with a weak follow through and nose up. I agree about the foot pivot, hips and arm swing as stated above, but they are easily fixed by getting the timing of the pull, and weight forward.

Concur, looked like you're pulling slightly too early and yes, that's awesome background music.

i dont throw nearly as far as you... so i cant offer much advice.....

what i saw....

Something is stopping you from getting the seamless / almost effortless throw that you see some pros get. I think you have the capacity and ability to do this. I watch your video and see that it should be there, but for some reason it's not....

My thought is that there is an issue with timing or something in your arm is incorrect.
(thinking out loud) i wonder if you are keeping your arm too stiff.... There is a fluid "rigidty" to your throw that may be rectified by finding a way to make your throw less mechanical. It's almost as if, you are really tensing muscles to throw and using your arm more than the fluid mechanics of your body? I know this is exactly what makes you throw, but for some reason it seems to be "stiff".

Something to think about....

I am certianly no expert at critiquing forms, but it looks like your plant foot is too far forward and light not allow for proper hipw twiting action to get that upper body rotation. Looks like you are throwing more with arm and not with upper body twist. Maybe shorten your final step and put more hip rotation into it. Hope that makes sense and hope that helps.

All tremendous help, truly! within a day regained one of my previous levels. almost back. The hips and the early pull I still need to work on. :)

I like the music.

That's all I got.

Dude that music is well, gitmo ready. Give a terrorist 4 drops of LSD and insert a loop of that and they will tell you everything.:p Even with everything fairweather mentioned, you still have better form than I. Good luck and congrats on throwing 350. You are ready to take on Dave242.:D

Latest posts