• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hey Old Timers...

I started in the late 90's
Gas stations near the course is where most purchases were made. If you wanted something different/limited you would drive down to inflight an hour away. Tournaments had the best selection though.

Someone mentioned Brian Malone. I bought Discraft and Lightning from Brian wholesale for $3.95 a piece. Bought Innova directly. That's when I was selling for the MFA. He was from Iowa.
Yes, Brian was the guy in Iowa someone mentioned had a white van for selling discs at Iowa events, many which he ran until he became the disc supplier at events when others were TDs. I bought wholesale from Brian for events I ran in Minnesota typically when I was running leagues or opening a new course in the early 90s.

Kokesh Athletics was a small chain of sporting goods stores in the Twin Cities where I bought my first golf disc in 1989, a 195g Phenix because it was the current distance champion. I think Billie Ashton may have been the one to get Kokesh set up selling Innova discs.

I suspect the guy selling discs at West Park in Joliet was Hall of Famer Gary Lewis who is still active in the area with Highland one of his newer courses.

Latest posts