• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Highest Round Rating Difference VS. Overall Rating

Biggest difference I've had was 71 points for the better. Been rated 902 for a while now and shot a 973 round and followed it up with a 964 right after it. Then I negated those helping me the very next tournament.

Due to reasons I do not understand, I've played two sanctioned tournaments since joining the pdga and still do not have a rating (been updated twice since the two tourneys). But at the first tourney after joining the round ratings on the pdga site said I shot a 976 in the morning and followed that with an 881 in the afternoon. I had a five stroke lead and ended tied for third. Not my best showing, but it taught me to relax and not worry about the score until everything is over with.

Are the scores for those two rounds showing up as 'official' on the PDGA site? The basic process after a tournament is:

1). Tournament Director (TD) uploads round scores, typically shortly after the event. This allows players to look up the scores, and see 'unofficial' round ratings.

2). TD fills out and submits their report to the PDGA. This gets reviewed and eventually becomes 'official', after which point round ratings get applied to player ratings.

If step 1 has been completed, the PDGA listing for the event will be labeled 'unofficial'. If step 2 has been completed, the listing for the event will be labeled 'official'.. and should be included in your rating, provided it became official with enough time before a rating cutoff (otherwise it would be the next rating cutoff).

Also, just to add to this thread.. when I'm feeling well, my tourney rounds typically come in at a very tight spread. All three rounds at my last event were clustered within roughly 10 points of each other: 945, 956, 946.

Last edited:
They are not official for the first tourney, and for the other one, the TD had a typo and put down the wrong pdga #. I'm working to get that one fixed though.

I shot two 941 rated rounds in May when I was rated 887. It was a four-round tournament. The next two were slightly better than my rating, and all four together were good enough to get me a USDGC spot.

I shot a 949 rated round this year with a 884 rating, a 65 point difference.

My friend opened up a three course tournament shooting a 1016 rated round with a 934 rating. He fell apart with two round around 900, but he is still proud of his round over 1000.

I shot a 926 rated round at the 2009 Nor Cal Champions in the Rec division when I was 849 rated. Biggest difference for me.

+126 points! Played in a tournament at an easy par 54 course, shot a 2 down and to my suprise was round rated 1025. My player rating at the time was 899. Anyway the TD screwed up and switched SSA ratings with another, much harder course. Problem never got fixed and it bumped my player rating up to 930, I'm still not a 930 rated player.

I'm a 872 overall.

First round of this year I threw a 981.

Difference is +109.

Anybody else have this big of a difference?

I did until yesterday. Highest round rating was 858, and rating was 751. Now tha the 858 (and other recent 800+ ratings have come into account), I have a 770 rating, but that rating also brings back in some low ratings that had beeen previously not included because they were below the SD. Now that the higher ratings have increased the SD, those lower ratings kick in and counteract the higher ratings, to some degree.

So if you are improving rapidly, the old low ratings can come back in and keep your rating down, but the new higher ratings get double counted to account for that.

Gratz on improving so rapidly.

Last edited:
I did until yesterday. Highest round rating was 858, and rating was 751. Now tha the 858 (and other recent 800+ ratings have come into account), I have a 770 rating, but that rating also brings back in some low ratings that had beeen previously not included because they were below the SD. Now that the higher ratings have increased the SD, those lower ratings kick in and counteract the higher ratings, to some degree.

So if you are improving rapidly, the old low ratings can come back in and keep your rating down, but the new higher ratings get double counted to account for that.

Gratz on improving so rapidly.

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Quite the variety and really good reading.

Um, I guess I improved.
The next round I was throwing a better score and on the 9th tee my legs started cramping up and spazming. I had to walk half steps to finish the round and I couldn't trust my legs the rest of the weekend.
I usually shoot a 930-ish the first round and fall apart health wise after that just trying to finish the tournament(I'm a recovering kidney patient the last 5+ years).

I just can't put two 'good rounds together, not even two in a row of 900+. My legs keep giving out and my concentration is so taxed after the first round that I'm really just 'throwing' and trying to rely on ability alone. Just doesn't work, but I keep trying to get my legs stronger and able to do more endurance. Jogging and 30 minute walks with 25lbs in a backpack, etc. Guess I need to increase those...???

I'll get better though, I have too, it's the only thing left to do besides give up and I'll be damned if I'm gonna go downhill now.

:hfive:

Now let's go get'em!!!

:cheers: