• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hire a good coach at least once…

ChrisinFL

Eagle Member
I have been playing 10-11 months, and I studied online a lot, watched video of myself throwing to find issues, and played and practiced a lot…. But I only recently found a coach in my area, and took my first lesson. Oh boy, I wish I found her sooner! I was shocked at how many things I was still doing wrong. Right off the bat, I had a grip issue, release issue, balance issues, footwork issues, and swing issues. Luckily, I do think a lot of the build up of throwing has still given me progress, but boy could I have progressed more, faster, if I had hired a coach sooner! Day one, she had me quit doing the x-step, and go to standstill, while I work on all of the changes/improvements, and I am throwing as far as I was before. I am early in the process of making gains from her teachings, but it is already clear that I can get a lot better just by spending a little bit of time with someone that really knows good form, and knows how to teach it!!! I found out, some things, like not letting go of the disc, but forcing it to rip out of your hand, work, but might not work when you have multiple issues going on! I tried it on my own, and it was a disaster, but with the multiple changes she got me doing, now I can let the disc rip out of my hand, and it works, for the first time!!! With my screwed up form, all it did was cause the disc to go crazy, mostly right, and not even act like a throw at all. Also, I had to flick with my wrist at release in order to avoid unintentional hyzers every throw, and now, I keep my wrist straight, and down, and it works. With my old, messed up form, I threw significantly better with a wrist flick - I guess it must have corrected for other things I was doing wrong. Anyhow, just saying, for those of you who have played for a while, self taught, I suggest get at least one lesson from a coach that knows their stuff, and I bet they can help you, and you won't regret it!

The amount of help and change I can give a player in 1 hour in person is just magical vs form check form check.

I can show you in person.
I can show you video.
I can demonstrate to you and why you're doing what.

There is 1000 more things I can do in person coaching than I can just banging words out on a keyboard to get you corrected.

You can't quite 100% get it all, but in person lessons also have a drive level to them for the learner.

It's not me telling you what to do and your level of discipline is determining the progress. It's me telling you that you're screwing up shot after shot and looking to find the way to get you to do what I need you to do. showing you, and then showing you the results from your throw or video. Right there.