• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

HOD 1/11/2022: Patapsco Valley State Park Hole #3 Marriottsville, MD

Bardu

* Ace Member *
Patapsco Valley State Park in Marriottsville, MD

Red Tee
Pin A 234 ft
Pin B 316 ft
Pin C 419 ft

Grey Tee
419 ft

Blue Tee
Pin A 304 ft
Pin B 436 ft
Pin C 539 ft

Green Tee
539 ft

"#3 Starts as a field hole but after a precise drive dips into a wooded nook with trees and elevation all around"

Tee
b95b19cf.jpg

This is one of my home courses so let me add some key information:

The picture looks like it was taken from the long tee, and you can see the short tee. Pic looks like it was taken a long time ago.

The left and right trees that define the fairly generous gap form a double mando. Miss the gap and you go to a drop zone. There is always a green basket in the "C" position, and the grey basket rotates between the "A" and "B" positions.

The "A" pin is through the gap into an open, grassy area. I throw a stable mid (Hex) from the short tee, and a stable fairway (TL) from the long tee.

The "B" pin doglegs left into the woods. I play the B pin for 3, so it doesn't much matter what I throw as long as I hit the gap.

The "C" pin is where the course gets fun. Dogleg left, through the trees, with a dropoff long and left of the basket, which is set on a slope. Lots of different ways to play the "C" pin:

1. Try to land near the "A" pin, and then approach with a putter or mid. This is my usual play.

2. Land short left of the "A" pin, and approach with a sidearm. This used to be my play, but some trees make this line more difficult now.

3. Throw something overstable to try to penetrate into the woods as far as possible. This can leave you with an easier approach, but often leaves you in a rocky ditch or behind a clump of trees.

4. Big-arm play: Try to blast a spike hyzer over the trees and penetrate into the woods while still making the mando. While impressive to watch, results are usually similar to (3).

This is one of my home courses so let me add some key information:

The picture looks like it was taken from the long tee, and you can see the short tee. Pic looks like it was taken a long time ago.

The left and right trees that define the fairly generous gap form a double mando. Miss the gap and you go to a drop zone. There is always a green basket in the "C" position, and the grey basket rotates between the "A" and "B" positions.

The "A" pin is through the gap into an open, grassy area. I throw a stable mid (Hex) from the short tee, and a stable fairway (TL) from the long tee.

The "B" pin doglegs left into the woods. I play the B pin for 3, so it doesn't much matter what I throw as long as I hit the gap.

The "C" pin is where the course gets fun. Dogleg left, through the trees, with a dropoff long and left of the basket, which is set on a slope. Lots of different ways to play the "C" pin:

1. Try to land near the "A" pin, and then approach with a putter or mid. This is my usual play.

2. Land short left of the "A" pin, and approach with a sidearm. This used to be my play, but some trees make this line more difficult now.

3. Throw something overstable to try to penetrate into the woods as far as possible. This can leave you with an easier approach, but often leaves you in a rocky ditch or behind a clump of trees.

4. Big-arm play: Try to blast a spike hyzer over the trees and penetrate into the woods while still making the mando. While impressive to watch, results are usually similar to (3).

i will be playing here this fall

i wont forget to hit you up to meet up

im super excited and i hear they have plenty of hiking and mtb in the same area so it seems like a heaven for me

i will be playing here this fall

i wont forget to hit you up to meet up

im super excited and i hear they have plenty of hiking and mtb in the same area so it seems like a heaven for me

Looking forward to it! I have seen mountain bike races at Patapsco. They had it set up so the race finished with a hairpin turn followed by a brutal uphill climb. You could see the racers' expression go from "Whee, I'm almost done!" to "Oh, sh**" as they rounded the turn. :p

Looking forward to it! I have seen mountain bike races at Patapsco. They had it set up so the race finished with a hairpin turn followed by a brutal uphill climb. You could see the racers' expression go from "Whee, I'm almost done!" to "Oh, sh**" as they rounded the turn. :p

yall got way moar elevation out there than my flat midwestern ass does

that sounds terrible but would be priceless to watch

im sure they ride 20x harder than i do

Z Wasp or VIP Northman