• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hog Island- Proposed course in Superior, WI

laramiecarlson

Eagle Member
SuperiorTelegram said:
Hog Island had a toxic history. That was before a $6.7 million cleanup and restoration about a decade ago.

Now a new idea is being lofted to give the county-owned island near Loon's Foot Landing new life as a recreational space everyone can enjoy.

"I have a plan to develop it into the world's only disc golf island," said Charlie Deville, who introduced the idea Tuesday to the Douglas County Land and Development Committee. "Now if you're not familiar with the sport, it's the second fastest growing sport in the country, right behind NASCAR. There are more disc golf courses in the country then there are regular golf courses. And my plan for this is to turn it into a professional disc golf course where upon tournaments, national tournaments and such, can be held."

Deville said the first phase of the two-stage project would be to establish a boardwalk to get out to the island from Loon's Foot Landing. The estimated 650-foot boardwalk would be compliant with the Americans with Disabilities Act and feature six points of interest with interpretive signs, in addition to four points of interest on an observation deck.

"There's a lot of history to that area," Deville said. "Most people driving by would never know there was a $6.7 million project to gut all the poison out of there and make it right again."

He said while the project cost a lot of money, the public has very little access to the area.

The boardwalk would have as little an impact to the swampland as possible, Deville said.

"We're going all out on this thing," he said.

Construction of trails and possibly boardwalks to protect environmentally sensitive areas was included in the Environmental Protection Agency master plan for Hog Island that guided the cleanup effort.

Deville said the boardwalk would essentially lead out to the first hole of the disc golf course, the second phase of the proposal. However, he said he's talked to people that would have an interest in utilizing the area for education, bird watching and other outdoor activities.

With world-class disc golf courses at Mont du Lac and Spirit Mountain, Hog Island could create the opportunity for three-day tournaments in the area, something that could bring $1 million to $1.5 million in economic activity to the area.

Deville said he's had experience in developing disc golf courses, working to establish a nine-hole course in Lincoln Park and at Woodland Hills in Duluth.

"I'm totally against it," said Supervisor Terry White; he acknowledged he could be persuaded under the right circumstances. "The habitat restoration that was done was for habitat … there's two eagle nests out there right now, active eagle nests right now."

White said he did a straw poll online, and the vast majority were against it.

Deville said there were two nests, but only one was active; an eagle left the nest in a tree with a deer stand affixed to it. The active nest is in an area that would not be used, he said.

White said he could be persuaded if a referendum passed, demonstrating a majority of people did want it.

Supervisor Charlie Glazman questioned whether Deville had talked to the Wisconsin DNR.

"That would be the next step," Deville said. He said his goal Tuesday was to weigh support for the idea with the county.

"I'm open to the idea, but I've got some other concerns — one being the DNR … and whether there's any support from the convention and visitors bureau for something like this," Glazman said. He also questioned the liability if someone is injured.

"We can look at it," said Douglas County Board Chairman Doug Finn. "I think one of the first things you have to do is talk to the DNR."

Finn said the county should take a look, at least determine if the idea is viable.

"I'm totally onboard with the concept," said Supervisor Alan Jaques. He said there are a number of issues that have to be addressed, but he said it would be nice to have access to the island.

"I'd like to be able to bring my bike out there … or be able to jog out there or something like that," Jaques said.

Now, 'Fox 21 News' on facebook is soliciting opinions on the matter. If anyone can stop by and say a few words, it would be much appreciated!