• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hole Numbering of Adjacent 9 Holers.

Martin Dewgarita

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
It seems to make sense that the 18 holes I have built here for the YMCA Camp are listed as 2 separate 9 holers, Bald Eagle and Golden Eagle. But it sure gets confusing when I mention "Hole 1" since there's two of them, I have to be more specific "Hole 1 Golden" which still confuses folks that have been around for a while, because originally I had always referred to it as "Hole 10" until I listed the back 9 as a separate course.

I still refer to Golden Eagle as the "Back 9" or the big brother to Bald Eagle. So, does it make sense to start the numbering of Golden with number 10? Is it possible to have the hole numbering changed on the course listing on this site to have a 9 holer labeled as holes 10-18? Is there another solution to this problem I'm not looking at? It doesn't seem to be much of a problem at complexes that have multiple 18 hole courses. Maybe I'm just over thinking it...

Not having been there....why exactly are you listing it as two 9-holers, instead of one 18?

Well. Because my boss wants it that way. But I also agree with his reasoning. Bald eagle is the course that I built for the kids, it is sponsored by the EDGE program, and is really the only course the kids of summer camp will be aware of and ever play. The tee pads (for the short tees) are built up and gravel, the baskets are Disccatcher Pro 28 chains. It will have its own map and tee signs, it is really the only course the camp is willing to support and put $$ towards.

While Golden Eagle is the course that I built for you and me, it's a bit more underground and much more challenging. The baskets were built by a fabrication company back in the 90s and have been re-purposed from the old Oak Island course in Albert Lea. It may never have nice tee pads or tee signs. The summer camper kids will never need to know of its existence (though they will obviously see the baskets around, and if any of the counselors really get in to it, it will be there as an option for them to check out). After I leave (who knows when that might be, an opportunity could present itself in the near future, or maybe I'll be here for another 20 years), the baskets of Golden Eagle will be coming with me and the course will dissolve, while Bald Eagle should be around forever...

Gotcha. I think I'd refer to the Bald Eagle holes by their number (hole 1, etc.), and the Golden Eagle as "Gold-1", etc., for clarity.

Borrow an idea from Cheap Trick. Their first album was so good it had a side 1 and a side A.

Bell And Howard in Statesville, NC has two nines that are far enough apart that you will typically drive to the other nine. They are numbered 1-18, though they feel like two completely separate 9 hole courses.

Latest posts