• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade DiscCatcher Gallery

Excellent work leppard! That's impressive that you did it for $100 too.

Just think... for $1800 you could have a full 18 hole course!

The chain was $60.
I wish I had made another frame while I was working on it. It wouldn't have taken much longer. Then I could have bought the chains for the second one later.

The chain is the problem. Unless you are good at fabricating or have a bunch of junk laying around it's really not worth the time/money to make a home made basket.

Doesn't keep me from planning on one though.

The chain is the problem. Unless you are good at fabricating or have a bunch of junk laying around it's really not worth the time/money to make a home made basket.

Doesn't keep me from planning on one though.

Now if you are going to college and could squeeze in a welding course like the art metal welding class at our college. Spend I think it was a bit over 400 bucks(to take the class) and then buy your materials for cheaper because it's through the school. You will end up with probably any tool you should need.(just hope you get good at welding first) Otherwise you could hope the junk people throw out could be used to make one.

I spent $63 on the one i built for back yard. It has a garden edging, metal center pole, and plastic chain links. Took about an hour to make. I got the plans by googleing how to make one and it gave me a link.

Here's a couple pics of some mini baskets I made...

1. The first one is just some 2 in. PVC pipe with some couplings on it. The top and bottom are a electrical wire reel. I just drilled holes around the outer rim and hung chain down to the middle and used a ring to hold em together. Got all the material at Lowes for under $20. I got the wire reel from when I did electrical work. Still figuring out something for the basket part. It's sitting in an empty 5 g water jug now for stability. No base!

2. This is probably my favorite one. It was little more expensive but well worth it. Got the idea from a course in Hawaii. Bought all material at Lowes for around $40. Round top about 16". small pack of eye hooks. Some chain, thick dowel rods cut 1' long. 2-2x4's for middle, and legs. Some L brackets underneath for stability. I pre-drilled holes on the underside of the top for the eye hooks and holes on top of the dowels. You'll need 32 eye hooks. I put 16 dowels around. No basket you just hit the dowels. It's pretty sweet. (Pic doesn't show it but I added feet after this. )

3. This was probably the easiest to make. To old hanging baskets from flowers. Outer set of chains. Then I need to hand an inner set from the middle of the basket to the top and then you just hang the basket some where. Catches real good!

Attachments

• Original.jpg
    Original.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 250
  • Homemade basket.jpg
    Homemade basket.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 264
  • Hanging Basket.jpg
    Hanging Basket.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 292
My first attempt at a full size basket was built like the second picture with a lower basket to catch. It actually worked OK but the disc would kick off if not hit close to center. The other major issue with my first basket was I made the rim of the basket smooth. A basket definitely needs nubs on the lower part to avoid rim outs.

I finally finished it yesterday. Here's a breakdown of the materials:

Bike wheel
Chain link fence post
9-gallon planter
Christmas tree stand
I-bolts
1/8" cable (and cable clamps)
2" ring
Chain
Zip strips (zip ties)
Tub drain
1 1/2" to 1 1/14" pipe adaptor
2 - 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" rubber pipe couplers (I'm going to be replacing one with a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"

It's pretty sturdy but I also built it with portability in mind. I can disassemble it and put the chain assembly and stand into the basket itself and only have a 5' pole leftover. I'm very satisfied with it, but I'm going to make some subtle changes for the next one (if I don't buy one first).

DSC01614.JPG

DSC01615.JPG

DSC01616.JPG

I finally finished it yesterday. Here's a breakdown of the materials:

Bike wheel
Chain link fence post
9-gallon planter
Christmas tree stand
I-bolts
1/8" cable (and cable clamps)
2" ring
Chain
Zip strips (zip ties)
Tub drain
1 1/2" to 1 1/14" pipe adaptor
2 - 1 1/4" to 1 1/4" rubber pipe couplers (I'm going to be replacing one with a 1 1/4" to 1 1/2"

It's pretty sturdy but I also built it with portability in mind. I can disassemble it and put the chain assembly and stand into the basket itself and only have a 5' pole leftover. I'm very satisfied with it, but I'm going to make some subtle changes for the next one (if I don't buy one first).

View attachment 3357

View attachment 3358

View attachment 3359

That's a pretty high end wheel to be doing that with. Was it taco'd? Where did you get it? It's funny, that wheel would cost more brand new than most of the portable baskets on the market.

bikinjack said:
That's a pretty high end wheel to be doing that with. Was it taco'd? Where did you get it? It's funny, that wheel would cost more brand new than most of the portable baskets on the market.

I got it from a friend. The wheel was warped here and there. I think he said that he slammed a rock that got kicked up by a truck. I'm sure it was a less than stellar ride before it became a chain hanging masterpiece.

I got it from a friend. The wheel was warped here and there. I think he said that he slammed a rock that got kicked up by a truck. I'm sure it was a less than stellar ride before it became a chain hanging masterpiece.

I figured it had to be something like that. Good job on the basket. I have a question, though. Did you attach the freehub body (the ratcheting thing the gears go on) to the pole somehow, and do you have it otherwise secured so it won't spin?

bikinjack said:
I figured it had to be something like that. Good job on the basket. I have a question, though. Did you attach the freehub body (the ratcheting thing the gears go on) to the pole somehow, and do you have it otherwise secured so it won't spin?

Nice catch. I hammered a dowel down down through the top (you can see it on one of the photos) through the freehub and into a piece of round ~1 1/2" hickory (it was actually a sledgehammer handle that broke). From here I drilled a hole through the fence post, through the hickory and attached using a wingnut and a standard bolt. Spinning problem = neutralized.

what is it made of?

Here's one that we did and then made several. We now have a 18 basket course set up that is a very decent set up.
100_0923.JPG

My first guess would be wood.

We used a 4x4 for the pole and 2x4's for the braces. Lag bolts to hold it. We went to a tire store and got some used tires the size of the basket and cut the sidewall out of the top with a sawzall. Drilled holes in the bottom sidewalls for drainage. Then went to Lowes and bought 1 inch chain 2 feet long. The top is from a water softener brine tank. Any water treatment company usually has a lot of old tops sitting around and are glad to get rid of them.

It works great. They will make you a better putter. If you slam one in they will bounce off the 4x4 and sometimes come back out.

The hole thing cost about $30.

Last edited:
815RocSolid said:
mine is finally done!! catches perfectly!

Nice dude! Good use of the snow coaster on the bottom. I was thinking about hitting up a yard sale this spring/summer and using one of those for the chain assembly on my next basket. You could drill holes for i-bolts anywhere on that. How did you keep your saucer on the basket? Did you use a flexi pipe coupler?

Latest posts