• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hornets Nest question

Peter S

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Can someone tell me what the web and original means. From pictures and description it gives me the impression that there are 18 tees & 36 baskets & you decide prior if you are playing to the yellow or white baskets.

Are there 2 basket choices for each tee pad or are there seperate tees for yellow & white baskets? Would you consider this a 36 hole course if you play web & original?

Was this a way to make long B position shots without adding more tee pads?

There is a short and a long tee pad on every hole (I think). Yellow baskets are original layout, white baskets are the Web. So there are 4 layouts. Now the Web may have added teepads for some holes, maybe someone from Charlotte could elaborate. Ive only played the Web a couple times.

From what I recall when I played it, it is two separate layouts that share some tees and fairways, but also have some distinctly separate tees, fairways, and baskets. For example, hole 1 shares a tee with two baskets while hole 3 has two separate tees and fairways that I believe approach the same basket from opposite sides. On the back side, there's also a Web hole that incorporates two of the original holes as one. So original 18 and web 18 are also entirely separate holes (original 18 serves as web 17, and so forth).

Basically, you want to commit to one layout and play it out or you could get very confused. Playing with a local or having a map is essential (I had the luxury of being guided by Stan the Man himself).

JC is correct. with the addition of there being a few holes that are completely different on Nest and Web layouts. Like holes 11 and 18. they are 2 totally separate holes. The 2 layouts are mutually exclusive.

Some holes have different teepads going to the same basket (#5), some have different teepads and separate baskets (#2), some have one teepad and 2 baskets (#1). A few of the holes are the same (8,9,14,15) and a few of the holes are completely unique holes that aren't played on the other layout (web 11 & 18).

Edit:What they said

some tees are the same, some baskets are the same, some holes are totally separate, others are unchanged.

some holes have two tee pads (2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 11, 17, 18)
some have 2 baskets (1, 2, 6, 10, 11, 13, 16)
some are completely different holes (11, 17, 18)
Some holes don't change (7, 8, 9, 12, 14, 15)

From what I recall when I played it, it is two separate layouts that share some tees and fairways, but also have some distinctly separate tees, fairways, and baskets. For example, hole 1 shares a tee with two baskets while hole 3 has two separate tees and fairways that I believe approach the same basket from opposite sides. On the back side, there's also a Web hole that incorporates two of the original holes as one. So original 18 and web 18 are also entirely separate holes (original 18 serves as web 17, and so forth).

Basically, you want to commit to one layout and play it out or you could get very confused. Playing with a local or having a map is essential (I had the luxury of being guided by Stan the Man himself).

you'll need a guide.

These are the correct answers. Both layouts are great, though, and although they share many of the same features, they are still very different courses and excellent in their own rights.

you'll need a guide.

Or a map.

7dd359a1.jpg

Is this still accurate for the most part? Stan is always tinkering. I know for instance that 1 Originals' basket is a little to the left and 6 Web is much longer now. But, this map will still keep you from getting lost.

"Classic"

This course is a prime example of a good local course that's been around for a long time. This course was the place to throw so it was very popular. But everybody & their mother goes there & it gets packed with people! As far as the golfers were concerned the idea may have been to change the layout & add a few more holes, send people off in a whole different direction it wont seem so crowded.
Luckily as years passed this area has become a disc golf mecca & new premium courses have popped up all around town. MANY courses!!
But we can always come back to Hornet's Nest & have a great day of golf with it's quirky layout(s)!

That map is fairly close to accurate.

Only changes :

Original 4 pin location will no longer be used at request of Park and Rec because of the proximity to baseball fields, and people climbing the fence to retrieve discs.

Web 6 has a long tee and basket = 600 ish.

Web 16 basket will not be replanted and now plays to Original 17.

Sounds like I would need a guide:confused:

May spend the night in the area and have 2 days. They would be a Wednesday & Thursday. As someone with a short time in the area, can anyone suggest some other area courses that are not as hard to navigate as this one seems to be?

Also, is there a lot of traffic on the area courses on weekdays. I hear the weekends are very busy at all Charlotte area courses and rounds can take up to 3 hours?

There will be people at the Nest, but it won't take you more than 2 hours to play. Also, the flow is pretty clear if you just want to play the Nest. I would also suggest playing Bradford, Nevin, and R.L. Smith.

Sounds like I would need a guide:confused:

May spend the night in the area and have 2 days. They would be a Wednesday & Thursday. As someone with a short time in the area, can anyone suggest some other area courses that are not as hard to navigate as this one seems to be?

Also, is there a lot of traffic on the area courses on weekdays. I hear the weekends are very busy at all Charlotte area courses and rounds can take up to 3 hours?

Weekdays won't be too bad anywhere. Nevin is 5 minutes from Nest, and it's never really crowded, because it's such a ballbuster.

Nest is only really bad on weekends where the park is busy, like people cooking out at the picnic shelters can interfere on 5-7, and I was out there one time where there was a mini World Cup going on in the middle of 2 fairway.

That posted map will get you around both layouts. The differences Ox mentions above are pretty obvious on the ground.

Nevin is hard, but awesome. Bradford would be a lot of fun. I like the Bailey/Bradford combination -- they're close (and close to my house :) ) and Bailey has some nice challenges for a short course.

cool. Thanks. I forgot to mention we are white level players. We are also thinking of Plantation Ruins, R.L Smith & Renaissance park. Any reason for or against these in the 2 to 3 days we will have?

My favorite in Charlotte are RL Smith, Bradford and Hornets Nest. Winget is fun too. so is Scrapyard.

cool. Thanks. I forgot to mention we are white level players. We are also thinking of Plantation Ruins, R.L Smith & Renaissance park. Any reason for or against these in the 2 to 3 days we will have?

Plantation ruins is probably a good choice, it's well maintained, and full of interesting shots without demanding a ton of power. More L to R than most CLT courses...either of you lefties?

As white level players, know that the hardest courses in town are Web layout @ Nest, Nevin, Rennaisance, and Angry Beaver @ Elon. Not saying don't play them (how does a DGer come to CLT and not give Renny a go?) just saying be prepared for some pretty serious difficulty on these layouts.

I'll go ahead and throw Eastway on the list (of ones to play,) which I think is a good course, and doesn't get enough credit. There's above the average number of open holes, but not really too repetitive, and some tricky shots from OB rather than impenetrable rough. (Some bad rough all around this time of year, actually.)

I played both the nest and web layouts following the map with no guide and had no issues figuring out either layout. The only issue we ran into was some conflict with people playing the original layout while we were trying to play the nest layout.