• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How did you get introduced to disc golf?

Levi615

I was introduced by a coworker at a Tennessee Amazon fulfillment center. I had heard him always talking about it and would laugh because it sounded really lame to go throw a frisbee like you were playing golf. But after hearing numerous stories and seeing his pure enthusiasm for it I tagged along to see what all the fuss was about. the first time I was really horrible at it but still had a little fun. decided to go and second time with him and totally fell in love with it obsessed some would say. this is the result of him introducing me to the world of disc golf and my wife thanks him wholeheartedly. lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1390807618873.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1390807618873.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 111
Apologies for the lengthy story... but you asked! :eek:

My addiction to the beautiful flight of a disc started at age 11 or 12 when Wham-O Frisbees were really getting popular. I got pretty good at throwing for distance and accuracy, and even won an age group distance contest (over 200'). Joined the International Frisbee Association at age 15, looking to get certified as a 'Master', but we moved, and the list of contact's I'd received were then all out of town. Gradually, through the years, the Frisbees went in a box and I worked a desk job for three decades lamenting the fact that I was putting on weight, and couldn't find an inexpensive, fun way to get some exercise.

In 2011, frustrated and 50, I started walking the neighborhood for exercise, got bored, & started throwing my old Frisbees at stop signs & fire hydrants. Once I was playing an 18 hole object golf course daily, a neighbor suggested I try the real thing. He mentioned having worked with a lady who was 'pretty good' at it, and said she'd actually traveled to Japan for a tournament! (I later looked her up on the internet: Tammy Pellicane, 5 time World Champ!)

Knowing that the sport existed, and we had a 1980-ish course nearby (Woodland Mound), I finally stopped at a Play It Again Sports & got my first set of golf discs (Birdie, Valkyrie & Orc...yes, an Orc!). I immediately fell in love with the sound of the chains. I went back to the internet and discovered I lived close enough to about thirty courses, including Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, Mt. Airy, etc. I've been pretty insanely active around the region ever since. Now if only I could get really good at it!

Wife and I love the outdoors. I would pass by the DG park on the way to go fishing. One day, she wanted to do something different and I suggested to try throwing Frisbees at these metal baskets. Bought a starter set from Big 5, went to the park and throw as high as possible, and had a great time. After seeing some guy chuck it like Tron through trees and park it like no one's business, I was hooked and haven't gone fishing since.

In college I worked as a lifeguard at a pool in a city park. One summer, the park built a course. I grabbed a lid from home and decided to try it out.

Not to prerube you but you can check out the thread in my sig for some other stories, including my own. I love hearing these stories, too.

I asked my son 25 what he wanted for x-mas he said maybe a disc or two , he had played afew times with friends . so I bought him 3 driver mid and putter and a bag. When he came over for easter dinner I ask if he had tried them yet , cold winter michigans here , anyway he said no but would like to so we got in the car and my youngest son and I went with him . I sucked pretty bad but could see a potential for fun , Had my wife buy some disc for me in May for my birthday hooked ever since 53 now kind of old for a new sport but myself and a few friends love it.

My dad took me and my brother to play at the park (la Mirada) when we were really young, and bought us a shark and a cobra. We threw them around the course not really knowing what we were doing.

About twenty years later I took my toddler to the park to play on the playground. And I watched a group of young guys walk up to hole 1, which was by the playground. They didn't really stretch, gust waved there arms for a couple seconds and chucked it. The third guy walked up took one practice swing, and let it rip. A huge hyzer went up and out. As it began to fall it went straight towards the basket. It slammed the chains, and they all went nuts.

It was so cool.

Git laid off work and needed a cheap hobby to replace paintball every weekend. I went and bought a voodoo,x buzzz, and a driver(can't remember). For the next year I spent more on discs a month than I ever did paintballing.

I can't 100% remember all the details, but it involves a group of buddies asking me if I wanted to tag along to play "frisbee golf" (hell, I don't even remember if that's what they called it) and I believe I borrowed a loaner disc or two.

A few months later, a different group of friends from a new job were talking about going discing, and I said I was interested in going out, and they were going to stop at a hole in the wall shop on the way. I was definitely going to pick up a driver and a putter. I remember paying like 20 bucks for a Pre-Kenny Star Wraith 175g (Star Wraith - just sounded so right. Still have it bagged and use it all the time) also bought a DX Rhyno.

It wasn't until I found this forum that I really started to get into it and work on my terrible throwing ability. Years later I still am not great, but I love the game :thmbup:

i first started by hucking frisbees with the other neighborhood kids in the mid 70's. back then it was "from here to the stop sign" kinda holes. then a few years later i found out that girls were actually pretty cool and i didn't play again for decades until some friends re-introduced me to the game. i played a few times with those friends and soon became obsessed with game. five years later and i would still play every day if i could and i routinely beat all my friends that re-introduced me to disc golf.

I bought a house half a block from a course situated in a nature park. Started finding discs while walking the dog, and even after returning a large portion of them, ended up with a stack of about 10-15, so I decided to try it out. Hook, line, sinker.

I still find a ton of discs in that park, and it's expanding to 18 this year. It's not a great course, but it's hard to not be happy about having an 18 holer literally within a drive and approach shot of your front door.

When I was a kid, we were playing ultimate, and wanted to take a break, so during the break a few us just started a competition to try to hit a tree in the distance. Then we started playing longer made up object holes with out ultimate Frisbees. One day I found a disc golf course in the late 1990's and tried playing that with a Frisbee. The only other people I saw on the course was me and my friends and other people who played with ultimate Frisbees. Fast forward to 2003 after several moves and not playing awhile, I was in San Diego and found Morley field. That was the first time I realized they had specific disc golf discs. I rented an all purpose spider and played with that for along time until I could make it go a decent distance. I was hooked from the first throw. I definitely sucked, but I had a blast.

It was my then girlfriend's (now ex-wife's) birthday and I thought I'd offer her a romantic weekend at the country side. The place we stayed at had a small course installed in the woods and we played it through once, propably throwing Wraiths or something like a beach frisbee. Otherwise it wasn't a good weekend, as we are both vegans and the place also had cows. Their mooing did not really cheer us up. Maybe a year later I was properly introduced to disc golfby a friend who had played it for a couple of years. I still remember the first discs I bought: DX Aviar and DX Cobra.

My buddy's dad use to play a little bit in the 80's, and a few year's ago he found some old plastic at a thrift store in Dayton for dirt cheap and told us a basic outline of the rules. So we went to the closest course from my house (which was surprisingly less than 10 minutes) and made fools of ourselves for a while.

It's pretty cool that we made our own scorecards in one of those small memo notepads because a couple months ago I stumbled across it while cleaning. I was throwing 70+ strokes on the shortest 18 hole course in the area :doh: But in a few short years, I've been able to conquer the course with -13 and I'm extremely grateful for discovering disc golf. I'll never be the same for knowing it!

When I was a toddler my mom wanted my uncles to spend more time with me so they took me disc golfing. One of my uncles bought me a DX Cheetah & a Innova DX Starter Set (Leopard, Shark & Aviar P&A). I tagged along with them for years but didn't start taking disc golf seriously until my early teens. In my early teens I lived on a farm for awhile so I would practice driving in the fields & I was in a local league. I'm eighteen now & have been hooked on disc golf since then.

In high school, a dude I played ultimate frisbee with took me to Morley Field to try out disc golf. He was pretty good, and I was terrible, but we went once a month or so for a few years. I went to Indiana for college, and completely forgot about disc golf. My sophomore year, a friend mentioned that there was a course in town, so I went out and bought a teebird and an aviar and started playing again. I found the other two courses in town and started playing a couple times a week. I introduced my girlfriend to it, and we played together every weekend as a way to get out together and take her dog for a walk.

We started getting bored with the local courses, so we made hour long drives to play a couple new courses on the weekends. That turned into stopping on our trips home to visit family to play new courses, and then into taking road trips just to find cool new places to play. Fast forward 6 years and I married her and we've played over 750 courses together in 41 states and 3 countries.

I grew up in Colorado, but it took me moving out to San Francisco, CA to start playing the sport. My buddy (from CO) came out to visit and brought his discs. He said there was a sick course in Golden Gate Park that he wanted to check out. Some other friends and I bought starter packs and we all went out on a beautiful afternoon and played. I fell in love immediately, and we went back again the next day.

I've since moved back to CO and regret not picking up disc golf earlier. However, I've been trying to make up for lost time ever since.

:D

Shattered my collar bone playing soccer in college (non-throwing arm). After surgery I was healthy enough to get back out and move around but not healthy enough to get back to soccer. I was going crazy being stuck inside so some of the guys on my team suggested we go play disc golf. I had never heard of it but we went out and I hated it. A few days later, out of an even greater hatred of being stuck inside, I went back with them and showed some improvement. We started playing more frequently the healthier I got and it just kinda stuck.

I played a lot of ultimate in high school with friends, but I didn't know much about DG at all. Then between my sophomore and junior year in college, I decided to stay on campus for the summer and my younger brother came out to stay with me for a week or two. After a few days we had sufficiently explored town and were just playing video games. On our way to a Hastings (for more video games) we passed a park with a DG course. I had known the course was there, but I never really paid any attention nor had I ever seen anyone actually at the course. My brother asked what it was for, and after I gave him the rundown, he thought it sounded cool. I wasn't really interested, but I was up for anything that we could do to hang out together and get out of my apartment. So, instead of Hastings, we went to Wal-Mart and picked up 3 discs. One driver, one mid, one putter... all DX. And we made decisions purely on the coolness of the stamp. Ended up with a teebird, gator, and rhyno. We were atrocious (and the gator didn't help) but we played nearly everyday for the rest of his trip.

The rest, they say, is history. A rather obsessive one.

i used to skateboard everyday when i was in highschool. one day when my buddy was hurt we were sittin around pissin his dad off, who was a disc golf pro, so he showed us his crates of discs gave us a few to chuck around, and we soon had another hobby. Little did i know i would be grossly addicted to dg yrs later.