• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do I keep this from happening?

maansmit

Double Eagle Member
So how do I prevent the blurring of the darker color that you see in this disc? I did a navy blue dip, rinsed well a couple of times and washed with soapy water, and then let sit in the freezer for about 18 hours. I followed that up with a tangerine dip without remasking and ended up with the serious blurring of the navy blue that you see here. Is there a way to prevent that without remasking? Thanks.

IMG_4991-1.jpg

It is supposed to be 2 distinct colors so I am not sure how mixing them together and doing a single dip would accomplish that unless I am misinterpreting your comments.

maybe the freezer did it? i have done a few dyes with two colors but right away just a hot rinse, soap and water and then into the next color. fwiw i have noticed that some ions seem to like to not not take dye as well as others, i have a black rit dyed ion, that is already faded to purple ish after a coupe weeks.
great dye i just did that same one on a echo star leopard!!

i think the blurring actually makes it look more realistic.

It was a commissioned dye and i had another one with the same colors on a star teebird to finish. I wanted to see how to prevent the same problem on that disc before I did the orange.

Run the disc under medium-temp flowing water for 5+ minutes immediately after the dip - it will help to remove the dye on the surface.
I wouldn't suggest freezer time in between dips either. From my experience, back to back dips come out the cleanest, and I never found any benefit to any freezing until the dye is finished.
It is a great effect when intended though.

Run the disc under medium-temp flowing water for 5+ minutes immediately after the dip - it will help to remove the dye on the surface.
I wouldn't suggest freezer time in between dips either. From my experience, back to back dips come out the cleanest, and I never found any benefit to any freezing until the dye is finished.
It is a great effect when intended though.

Will give that a try. Thanks.

I think yawp is right on curing freezer in between dips, I also usually wait to cure the disc before I try to clean anything off it. It looks like that bleeding might have been from the running water dragging the fresh dye off the disc when you were cleaning it. I've had rubbing alcohol and cotton balls do a similar thing when I tried to clean off gunk before I let the disc cure in the fridge.

I do dig the effect thought, adds a nice drop shadow and depth to the design. The cuts on that also look fantastic, some of your best yet.

I think yawp is right on curing freezer in between dips, I also usually wait to cure the disc before I try to clean anything off it. It looks like that bleeding might have been from the running water dragging the fresh dye off the disc when you were cleaning it. I've had rubbing alcohol and cotton balls do a similar thing when I tried to clean off gunk before I let the disc cure in the fridge.

I do dig the effect thought, adds a nice drop shadow and depth to the design. The cuts on that also look fantastic, some of your best yet.

The blurring wasn't there until I dipped in the orange. The orange areas were perfectly white right until I dipped it for the orange. My teebird with the Illini logo is having better success without the blurring right now so that is good.

I really dig the new swivel Xacto knife I just got. It really makes some of these cuts much easier which really helped on the bears logo and the Superman I did a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks for everyone's input, it is appreciated.

As stated rinse the disc well between dips. The blur was caused by residual dye the spread when placed into the 2nd color. Also wash your discs before applying the vinyl

Dipping in water for 5 minutes might work better than rinsing it. Could it be from dipping in the dye to long? I had a similar problem with black and then red. I had the red in for a long time and maybe since the black warmed up again it caused it to bleed.