• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you approach a recreational round?

Before I tee off on the first hole, I will decide whether it will be a learning round or "competition" round. If it's a learning round, I will try new throws, new routes, second throws, multiple putts, etc. Most times, I will not even keep score for a learning round. If it's a "competition" round, I play as if I am in a tournament. I use my mini to mark my lie, no re-throws allowed, no gimme putts, etc. I definitely keep score. And sometimes, I will do a scenario where I am either up or down a few strokes. Every three holes, I will flip a coin to see if my imaginary opponent birdies or bogies. (They par the two holes in between.) This simulates the feel you get in a tournament when you have to maintain the lead or close the gap.

I noticed that when I am playing recreational rounds, while I want to get my personal best for the course I am playing, I notice I do an awful lot of experimenting so maybe I am not really trying as much as I should for personal best.

For example, last weekend, I was at my most frequented course and my best has been +1 over par. I had worked on a few things and they were going well and I finished the 1st round, at my best again of +1.

So, I start a 2nd round and by the 7th hole, I am -1, which usually doesnt happen for me at that point; usually I bird a few of the later ones to get me to +1. I decide I want to work on forehand, which I dont do a lot and it goes ok but by hole12, I got myself up to +3.

At this point I realise that I kinda pissed away what might have been my best round there ever and I go back to using my RHBH and drop myself back down to even going in to hole 18.

Hole 18 is one of those that should be easy and for some reason I get in my head "I'm going for ace" then smack a tree and take a +1 on it and that day was no different and I finished +1.

Anyway, nice long story for you I guess, but the point is, after that, I realised I do all sorts of different things that stray from my tried and true approach to each shot despite always comparing my outing for the day based on how well I scored.

Seems counter-productive. Anyone else like that?

meh. it depends.

on a course i'm familiar with, by myself? experiment.

on a course i'm familiar with, with others, for bragging rights/cash? tried and true shots.

unfamiliar, alone? experiment.

unfamiliar with others who are unfamiliar? depends on the score

I'm competitve...

Non-comp rounds = Mullies ok, score ok, beer ok, I tend to get frustrated when I throw more than a couple of of bogeys.

I usually go out by myself 2-3 times a week on the home course and play the same 1-2 holes for about an hour to practice different throws and whatnot.

When I play alone, I'm trying for good, scorebook-worthy rounds. Pretty serious. If it goes wrong early, I'll finish up but work on experimental lines or throws I wouldn't normally try.

A truly casual round with friends, I'm probably not keeping score and probably having a couple beers.

I play serious alone. Sometime better than with people. When I am alone I can take as much time as I want to putt, drive and I can throw more discs.

only your first shot counts

Sidenote: I also hate trying new grips. I get frustrated quickly and end up switching back.

I've done it both ways. I've tried for best score, but on days where I've struggled, I've turned it into practice. I have a tendancy to focus too much on the score and miss the point of just "getting out" and enjoying the day.

One of my latest things is to play "better disc" with myself. I'll toss two or three discs from the tee (and it can't be three of the same) to force myself to make new and different shots, such as those I stink at. Sometimes this leads to a better way, especially when navigating obstacles, wind, etc, others have me say "I'll never do that again!" Then I pick a drive and go from there. Score matters less, learning matters more on these days.

And of course there are those fun drivng holes, where I throw every driver I have...

I would have to ask you this: are you playing for fun and enjoyment or preparing for competition? There is a time to mess around and a time to focus..

That's pretty much how I roll. I just started scoring my casual rounds this year. I typically start out scoring a casual round by the book, and if I'm doing alright, I'll stick to the rules so my course record has integrity. But if it seems like an uneventful round, I start trying out other stuff, because that's how I learn different throws and what my discs do in certain situations.

That's when I'll throw a mulligan after a lousy shot - I hate walking away feeling defeated. I want to know that I can make the shot I want, so that next time I'm on that tee pad (or fairway). I'm not thinking "Last time I was here, I shanked one off into the dark forest."

Taking disc golf seriously? That's what leagues and tournaments are for!;)

Depends on the course...If I am playing a beast then I am focusing on minimizing mistakes, playing the higher percentage routes, and trying to keep my scores in a certain predetermined range.(50s at the short technical course, in the 60s at the pro courses and trying to break 80 at Nockamixon, yeah I'm being honest I'm trying to break 80 there!) Sometimes I don't keep score for the round but just try to see how many pars I can get. This keeps me focused on the hole and gets me away from taking foolish chances that will inevitably blow up my round and ruin my day.
If I am at a simpler more wide open course I never keep score..I might try for the ace on every hole, or I might try out new discs or new throws or throw multiple lines.Sometimes I pack nothing but midranges or nothing but drivers or carry a few different putters....these days I like to call bag tryouts as in let's see who is going to make the bag and who gets to sit in the car for the more competitve rounds.
The only times I always keep score is if I am playing with my partner who is of equal ability..we go back and forth and have a nice little rivalry going. Often once my round goes south when alone I begin to work on my game.

In general we will try new things and carry a really fat bag but now that we have some tourneys coming up we have whittled the bag down to bare bones and will "go with whatcha know" for now...

Practice throwing drivers OFF the course in a field so you can see what they really do and how far they will go. No trees to lose in or bang them up either! Try different angles of release, and rollers. On the course try different lines/angles, and throw a couple putters on each hole. That is practice like you would at a driving/pitching range for ball golf. On the rounds on the course, I like to go real casual, no minis, throw for aces, stop in the middle of the hole and throw Roc up shots. Just for practice.

If I'm in a rec round and wanting to test new things, but still go for score I throw 2 discs. The first is my drive, the tried and true that if I was in a tourney I would throw that. Then I throw a disc or more after that of something I wanted to try. The course I play regularly is empty enough that I can do this, if there are too many people I just throw my normal one.

However, sometimes I want to work on just one thing. Then the score goes out the window, I focus all on that and just throw to practice it. No score. No worries

I did that work on one thing last weekend and go nothing but forehand, since I am a BH dominant player. It didnt go that well. I mean, I think I can do one ok enough if I am in trouble but I have been playing BH for over 7 years. While Im just now really focusing on improving it and still not great at it; still, its very rough to try to switch to FH for me.

I noticed that when I am playing recreational rounds, while I want to get my personal best for the course I am playing, I notice I do an awful lot of experimenting so maybe I am not really trying as much as I should for personal best.

Seems counter-productive. Anyone else like that?

BOY! I'm glad you started this thread. It jogged me into thinking that I need to stop screwing around on the course and get back to playing the game. I haven't kept score in a couple of years now and I think that may be part of the reason my game has gotten so sloppy. THANKS.

... practice like you would at a driving/pitching range for ball golf.

Is that game what's his name plays?? You know, that Tiger guy in all the TV commercials?
I hear he's like the Ken Climo of that game.:p

I did that work on one thing last weekend and go nothing but forehand, since I am a BH dominant player. It didnt go that well. I mean, I think I can do one ok enough if I am in trouble but I have been playing BH for over 7 years. While Im just now really focusing on improving it and still not great at it; still, its very rough to try to switch to FH for me.

Keep trying it from time to time. Don't forget to try a two finger roller, both as a trouble shot and off the tee. I was the same way, it was anything but natural to me, now I have a serviceable forehand.

A rec round for me is a time to relax and have fun.

If I'm by myself I count my first throw for score and then will often experiment or practice something else.

Rec rounds for me are just that - recreational.

I have no interest in keeping score - keeping score is for tournament play - it's the only time it matters. Even in tournament play - I do my best to ignore the score - it's just one more distraction that takes away from actually performing the shot you are trying to execute.

Recreational rounds are opportunities to have fun, goof off, or try different discs for different shots. The opportunities (for me) are about learning the extent to which you would choose a certain disc. So I will frequently throw multiple shots either off the tee, or as 2nd/3rd shots. Certainly course courtesy is always a factor if the course is crowded - I try not to be the one holding other people up - but I play pretty quickly regardless of the number of throws I take.

Rec rounds are also the time to learn your new plastic. So sometimes I'll just take the new driver out w/a putter and throw it on every hole so I get to know it and can feel confident using it when it comes tournament time. Or if it's a new version of a disc I already carry - the rec round is the opportunity to check the subtleties of its flight characteristics. Again - get to know your discs so you are confident in executing later.

This next time I get out, I am probably going to try to play my best round of the course, just because the season is comming to an end, if not technically over already. I dont mind playing in the cold OR rain but when its both, like it is usually this time of year, Im not a big fan. Actually looking forward at this point to the colder, dryer winter air.

I like the idea of just a new drive and a putter. Once it gets to where I can get out more often again, I might start doing that with the ones I already have.

I try to play my rec rounds like they were tournament play. I mark everything, don't take gimmies, etc. That doesn't mean I'm not having fun. It just makes tourney play feel less formal so I can ease up and do well.

Rec rounds for me are just that - recreational.

I have no interest in keeping score - keeping score is for tournament play - it's the only time it matters. Even in tournament play - I do my best to ignore the score - it's just one more distraction that takes away from actually performing the shot you are trying to execute.

Recreational rounds are opportunities to have fun, goof off, or try different discs for different shots. The opportunities (for me) are about learning the extent to which you would choose a certain disc. So I will frequently throw multiple shots either off the tee, or as 2nd/3rd shots. Certainly course courtesy is always a factor if the course is crowded - I try not to be the one holding other people up - but I play pretty quickly regardless of the number of throws I take.

Rec rounds are also the time to learn your new plastic. So sometimes I'll just take the new driver out w/a putter and throw it on every hole so I get to know it and can feel confident using it when it comes tournament time. Or if it's a new version of a disc I already carry - the rec round is the opportunity to check the subtleties of its flight characteristics. Again - get to know your discs so you are confident in executing later.

That's almost word for word what I was going to post.

Latest posts