• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you throw straight down hills

Best throw for a very steep downhill tunnel shot is a putter. You need to experiment to find the one that will hold the line perfectly at the required speed and angle to get to where you want to land. I have had little success with drivers as they flare out and skip a mile. Mids work OK, but it is easier to float a putter in my experience. With the water behind the basket, you really need something that will not get away from you and will not skip/skid a mile after landing (that would be a putter). Try a mildly beat in Aviar.

BTW, just to give you a point of reference, most steep roofs on houses are 45 degree slope (12/12). It is almost impossible stay on those roofs doing the crab walk with your butt, hands and feet down.

This. If it is longer than you can get your putter (this would have to be exceedingly long if it a steep hill) then a mid. Just make sure you throw down the hill, not straight out.

EDIT: Crab walking on roofs sucks, but when I tried not to I immediately dropped to my hands as well before sliding uncontrolled down the shingles...killed my palms

Thumber or Grenade is a great way to park.... depending on the range though you could use a very stable mid or putter on a 45 anhyzer, spin it relative to the distance, low, and make sure it stalls out 35' short and it'll skip sideways or roll in a circle. If you're feelin tricky.

If I'm throwing a downhill tunnel shot I use Magic or Wizard (anny to stall 50'short) or a: Voodoo, Aero, Buzzz/beat-in,Avenger SS for a straight at it shot but the blowby could be huge especially on anything with a wide wing.

Thumber with a Dragon at least it'll float!!! More Spin= More Skip

Last edited:
This would have been better as a poll. I still don't know the answer...I've scanned some other polls about uphill and downhill. Is there anyone out there that has a definitive suggestion?

Going downhill.....Overstable, stable, or understable? I'm guessing understable or stable like a putter. Just based on experience, if I have a disc that hyzer's on a RHBH when thrown level, as my disc stops spinning and is only influenced by the force of gravity then it will pull to the left.

Same thing with an Understable...but we would want that on a RHBH since we are throwing it on an anhyzer line.

But there are those that think the glide of a stable putter might be a better option.

Am I correct???? :\

Latest posts