• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you train your dog not to pick up discs?

progprowl

Par Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I am going to try and get a dog at the shelter in the next few weeks. Obviously I don't know which breed she'll be or how well trained.

My question for anyone who has a dog that they bring out on the course is, how do you train them not to pick up discs. I plan on bring her with me whenever I play and eventually I'd like to not have to handle the leash at all times. Any advice?
progprowl

Just take her a whole bunch, i got my dog as a puppy and took him all the time. Don't let them ever use a disc for a toy and you should be ok. Alot of this will depend on breed, if you get a retriever well its in the name. If they start to pick one up give them a yell they should drop it.

What I've always wondered is how people train their dogs to not pick up their discs, but still be able to play catch with it from time to time. You'd think it'd get confused if you wanted her to catch or bring back the disc in one situation and leave it alone in another.

Train your dog to fetch with a ball and nothing else. My dog will only pick up racket and tennis balls. He looks at a disc and doesn't know what to do with it.

Maybe you can have one specific disc for the dog as a toy/catch/fetch disc.

It can confuse a dog to be allowed to chase and catch "dog discs" but not disc golf discs. However, a smart enough dog can learn to distinguish between his disc and the off-limits discs. One thing you might work on is teaching him only to chase a disc if you give him an explicit invitation. There's also a really good thread from last year about someone who trained his dog to find, mark, and retrieve discs each as separate commands. He had a very careful, patient system, but it looked like a workable method. You might also want to consult your local dog trainer.

Remember that it's also entirely possible that your dog won't have a strong chase or retrieve instinct, and it won't be an issue at all. A lot of this depends on breed.

Practice the "leave it" command before you apply it to disc golf. The dog must understand what "leave it" means first. Then go out to a field and throw some short throws, just to get the dog used to discs. Everytime he tries to pick one up say leave it and eventually he wont even try. It took my pup about 2 months of tarining for him to leave them alone. He still enjoys running out after them, but now only stand at the disc until you walk up, then waits for you to throw again. The key is repetition, Good luck!

some dogs have no interest in picking up discs. mine has never cared about them. just train them the way you would for them to not mess with anything else. Like krover said, train them for the "leave it" command and you should be fine. Also the stay and wait commands are key to keep them by your side and not chasing discs or anything else.

to add to my last post. Watch some of the dog whisperer with Cesar Milan. The guy is strange but his techniques work great.

get a crap disc, pour pickled jalapeno juice on it, throw it, if he grabs it, he'll leave it alone for good after that........... j/k

From what I've seen & heard a dog's world is one of dominance & submission. You must be in charge, not the dog. If you don't 'claim' the disc he will assume that you are weak & he will think it's OK for him to 'own' it (bite it, chase it, dominate it, etc). Start by putting discs, baseballs, hamburgers (no kidding) in front of him but don't let him touch it or smell it or anything. In fact, turn him around so his back is to these items. When you can have all these things around him & he doesn't seem interested, you have done it! These items are your property & he will learn to take only what you give to him. It will take some time to train him properly but any dog can be trained. Getting a dog from a shelter is a noble deed. Be aware that these dogs are often victims of abuse and/or are already stressed. It seems obvious but try to pick a calm, happy dog (if possible).

get a dog with fear of abandonment issues, my dog runs like hell when i drive but gets scared half way and stops, or maybe try putting a disc on the living room floor then when it gets close sneak up with the vaccum

I think a fairly smart dog could learn the difference between YOUR disc golf disc and THEIR ultimate disc. I don't have a dog yet, but will one day and I would love to have it catch a frisbee, but don't want it to eat my discs! The comments on this thread, and the other, about dogs is very encouraging.

I think having a dog that would just go and sit by your disc would be awesome. You would never have to look for it (the disc, not the dog). You could even replace your mini with dog slobber!

shock collars are for people that dont watch or understand the dog whisperer!

Latest posts