• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How fast do discs fly?

Here's a chart from a study done on the correlation of distance and disc speed:

Copy%20of%20chart%20copy.gif

interesting to see some of those distances at the lower speeds

interesting to see some of those distances at the lower speeds

I think I read somewhere that putters will often exit the hands at a higher speed than distance drivers. They just won't maintain it as long, but their initial speed is often higher.

Do you have any more info with this? Like a legend? It seems helpful but it just doesn't seem all there.

Do you have any more info with this? Like a legend? It seems helpful but it just doesn't seem all there.

It comes from here

"The speed of the disc is shown on the horizontal axis. The chart shows a good correlation between speed and distance. For example, a disc thrown correctly and efficiently at a speed of 50 mph is likely to travel about 300 feet. Reaching a distance of 400 feet or more requires a disc speed of around 70 to 75 mph. The circled group of plots seems to be a slight anomaly. It shows a group of discs that traveled a long distance, but with a slower disc speed. This might be attributed to the amount of spin imparted on the disc, the height that it was thrown, and wind direction. Increased angular momentum (spin) will help keep the disc stable and aloft for a longer period of time.

The weight and model of discs thrown varied from player to player. This factor also contributed to how fast a disc was thrown, and how far it glided. The most popular weights of disc used by the professionals in this study were 165 grams (11%), 172 grams (10%), 174 grams (14%), and 175grams (17%). The disc models that flew the farthest were the Discraft Xtra, Innova Teebird , Discraft XL, and Innova Eagle.

Additional speed and distance measurements were taken using amateur players. Table 1 gives the disc golfer an idea about the level of expertise needed to play in a particular division."

I need that disc that went 548' when thrown 49 mph. I'd like more information on the large distance scatter for a given speed. Technique, weight, stability, wind, or ??

Interesting read. I don't think the correlation changes, however it would be interesting to see how the distances have changed from all the high speed drivers introduced since the study.

It comes from here

"The speed of the disc is shown on the horizontal axis. The chart shows a good correlation between speed and distance. For example, a disc thrown correctly and efficiently at a speed of 50 mph is likely to travel about 300 feet. Reaching a distance of 400 feet or more requires a disc speed of around 70 to 75 mph. The circled group of plots seems to be a slight anomaly. It shows a group of discs that traveled a long distance, but with a slower disc speed. This might be attributed to the amount of spin imparted on the disc, the height that it was thrown, and wind direction. Increased angular momentum (spin) will help keep the disc stable and aloft for a longer period of time.

The weight and model of discs thrown varied from player to player. This factor also contributed to how fast a disc was thrown, and how far it glided. The most popular weights of disc used by the professionals in this study were 165 grams (11%), 172 grams (10%), 174 grams (14%), and 175grams (17%). The disc models that flew the farthest were the Discraft Xtra, Innova Teebird , Discraft XL, and Innova Eagle.

Additional speed and distance measurements were taken using amateur players. Table 1 gives the disc golfer an idea about the level of expertise needed to play in a particular division."

Thanks!

So I'm guessing these speeds are shortly after the disc is released. I know it'd be difficult to measure, but I think it would be cool to see a graph of the speed of a disc over the course of its flight.

So I'm guessing these speeds are shortly after the disc is released. I know it'd be difficult to measure, but I think it would be cool to see a graph of the speed of a disc over the course of its flight.

The shape of those curves is really what is meant by disc speed. Slow discs like putters slow down a lot faster once out of your hand (though as was mentioned above they can leave the hand faster because you can get a better grip on them), while wide rimmed low profile drivers hold their speed a lot longer.

Airborne has a radar gun and many discs you can fire as wildly as possible attempting to make the wall of fame (60mph+). I was ripping max weight D1 and D4, 56 was all I could get. Then I grabbed the blizzard wraith, bam instant 10mph more.

The wall of fame has only 1 or 2 that have broken 80, a short list over 70, and a longer list of over 60.

Mash, can you provide a link or cite the source of that graph? I'd love to know more about what the data points actually represent. I wonder if they might be different molds thrown at vrious speeds. Obviously, the circled portion merits attention: more D with less V... noodle arms rejoice! :D

BogeyNoMore, it's from a Theo Pozzy study/article in DGWN in 2000.

Those are individual throws by competitors at a bunch of events. I have Theo's Excel file of raw data, as well as the Word document of the article itself. I'm not free to publish them, but I'm able to look at them and tell you what's in them.

The weight, mold, speed, distance, and competitor were recorded for each throw.

Events were:
Bob West Memorial
Ft. Steilacoom Open
Souper Bowl
Windy River Open
Worlds 2000

Last edited:
Here is a sample of the throws with the highest distance-to-speed ratio:
Code:
Dist	Speed	Weight	Disc	First Name	Last Name
528	48	176	XL	Steve	Rico
498	52	175	TeeBird	Ken	Jarvis
456	49	175	Eagle	Ken	Jarvis
465	52	147	Firebird	Aaron	Weild
546	62	174	Eagle	Christian	Sandstrum
447	51	171	Eagle	Ed	Doppelmayr
480	55	173	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
408	47	175	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
456	53	175	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
489	58	174	Eagle	Christian	Sandstrum
435	52	173	TeeBird	Gibson	Hollub
387	47	172	TeeBird	Mike	Werth
393	48	176	XL	Steve	Rico
429	53	166	XL	Steve	Rico
267	33	174	JLS	Jay	Townshend
450	56	175	Eagle	Ken	Jarvis
417	52	171	Viper	Kurt	Karlsson

There are additional data points on the graph that didn't have a disc weight recorded. I can tell you the 540ft at 49mph was also an XL, but it was by somebody named "Randy" without a last name recorded.

Thanks! will peruse this when I have a chance to digest it.

Here is a sample of the throws with the highest distance-to-speed ratio:
Code:
Dist	Speed	Weight	Disc	First Name	Last Name
528	48	176	XL	Steve	Rico
498	52	175	TeeBird	Ken	Jarvis
456	49	175	Eagle	Ken	Jarvis
465	52	147	Firebird	Aaron	Weild
546	62	174	Eagle	Christian	Sandstrum
447	51	171	Eagle	Ed	Doppelmayr
480	55	173	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
408	47	175	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
456	53	175	Eagle	Sam	Ferrans
489	58	174	Eagle	Christian	Sandstrum
435	52	173	TeeBird	Gibson	Hollub
387	47	172	TeeBird	Mike	Werth
393	48	176	XL	Steve	Rico
429	53	166	XL	Steve	Rico
267	33	174	JLS	Jay	Townshend
450	56	175	Eagle	Ken	Jarvis
417	52	171	Viper	Kurt	Karlsson

There are additional data points on the graph that didn't have a disc weight recorded. I can tell you the 540ft at 49mph was also an XL, but it was by somebody named "Randy" without a last name recorded.
Those 500'+ throws at low recorded speeds are highly inaccurate for their distance and the throwers. My guess is they were thrown so high that the radar gun didn't catch their actual speed on an upward trajectory. They might have been going only 50 linearly, but guaranteed those disc were going 70mph+ on an upward angle. Randy Wimm probably.