• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Has The Game Changed?

Paulie

Birdie Member
Hey you long timers, how has DG changed in the years you've been playing? Just wondering. Wanna hear some stories.

And yes I did a search. Just not for this. :p

I don't classify myself as a long timer by any sense but I do know a few long timers.

Just from what I've noticed the disc technology, types of molds, number of molds has skyrocketed compared to say even 10 years ago. The speed of discs has gone way up as well. There's almost something for everyone these days.

As Russell noted, course design has become a lot more complex. Older courses tend to be shorter more geared towards the older discs that were new at the time. More of a pitch and putt style though there are some that break that rule. Newer courses are from what I've noticed; longer with more par 4s and 5s that require more planning on shots, more adventurous in their design of hole shapes/basket placements, and demanding both mentally and physically.

I've only been playing for a few years but I can tell the course development has changed greatly. My phone won't let me do links but check out West park in Joliet,Illinois. It is the oldest park in Illinois(1976 I think). Most of the holes are under 300'. Compare that to Highland park also in joliet(2009) same style terrain but completely differnt course. It's fun playing those old ones though

although the discs have gotten faster i don't really think there has been a quantum change in discs since i began playing... the whippet and viper were both already out at that point and all the rest is just logical extension from there imo.

the biggest difference on the course is the advent of golf-like course design with legit par 4's and 5's.

public recognition of dg as a worthwhile activity is the biggest change altogether i'd say. parks actually WANT disc golf courses now... that wasn't the case years ago...

Everything has just sort of followed a natural evolution.
The viper and the cyclone grew into the destroyer and nuke
The baskets have gotten deeper and added a few chains
Technical holes have a few more trees and a bit more distance
No real radical changes, just a slow but steady evolution.

waaay back when i started, we didn't have nukes and katanas. i don't know how we ever got any distance off the tee.

on the "sport" side of it... there is much more depth to the fields at the top due to more natural athletes playing as well as second generation dg'ers who grew up throwing golf plastic... when i started it was kenny and all the rest to a degree...

I used to play at Huntington Beach in 1979 after a day at the beach, and we all had one wham-o disc. Then the wham-0 $50,000 championship tourney was held there the same year and some dudes had multiple discs, which we couldn't really fathom. So yeah, it has changed alot.

Mostly the technology of the plastic today. The ability to use the internet to find courses & players (DGCR) Buying discs online. Back in the day your home course pro would have a supply of discs in his van to sell so he could make some cash to go to tournaments.

The 14-year-old kids that can throw 450'.

As Biscoe said there was Kenny and everyone else. If The Champ didn't take 1st in a tourney that was the story. Most courses there would be a 400' hole considered the long hole, a couple of 350'+, but most were between 275' - 350' with a few tight straight holes around 200' - 250'.

But watching Kenny back in the early 90's it was something to see. It's amazing to me that it's almost common place today.

I still enjoy playing the older courses more because they fit my game better. Nothing is more discouraging to me than playing a course today where the shortest distance is 350'.

The biggest difference is the amount of courses. I always considered myself lucky when I lived in Orlando. We had so many courses in the area. Then in Bowling Green, Ky there were 4 courses and a short drive to Nashville there were several more.

Now I look on the DGCR map and some areas have 20, 30 and up to 50 courses in a 100 mile radius.

Biggest change I have seen is the discs. Used to be a dozen tops from everyone and all players used the same molds just about. Now, there are so many, you just about have to have a guide book to keep track of them all. I still use my Lightning P-38's though...and can still keep up with the young guys with them, too.;) :p

The biggest change is how many people are on the course now, back in the 90's you were often times the only group or person on the course, now it's just crazy.

The biggest change is how many people are on the course now, back in the 90's you were often times the only group or person on the course, now it's just crazy.

That is definitely the biggest change I see. At 5 PM on a weekday you might see another group on the course, but that would be it. By 2001 that same course had people on nearly every hole at that time.

I started out throwing a Scorpion as a driver, Roc as midrange and an XD to putt. I thought I was pretty good at 15 when I parked a 300 foot hole with a Scorpion after a nice S turn throw.

Another big difference: No internet resource to tell you how to throw, hold a disc or really any place to buy them.

All the discs I had before 2002 were found by my grandfather who walked Todd Park in Austin, MN every morning looking for baseballs, softballs, etc... and kept giving us these weird Frisbees. So, if you lost any discs at Todd Park in the 1990's you probably ended up helping a few dozen people get into disc golf in the Twin Cities. :thmbup:

The biggest change was going from throwing catch Frisbees at trees/poles, to throwing golf specific discs at baskets. And then the phenomenal growth of the sport. I can remember when the PDGA course directory had around 100 courses listed in it! And that internet thing made it easier to find courses and network with other throwers, etc. Also, it seemed strange, at first, calling it disc golf, after the named was changed from Frisbee golf.

One huge change is the use of the jump putt. I started using golf discs in 1993 (and used frisbees long before that), and I don't remember the jump putt being used at all until about '97.

If it did exist (different regions of the country/world, perhaps), it's certainly FAR more widespread now.

Any old-timers remember differently?

Incredible growth. When I started (1995), South Carolina had 2 courses, and 3 tournaments a year. If I wanted to play more tournaments, I had to be willing to drive 200 miles. Now there are about 60 courses or more, and the tournament schedule is crowded and starting to overlap.

As for discs, the selection's vastly greater, and the new discs have extended distance. But the big change is that I began in the error of DX-only, when you had to constantly replace discs as their flight characteristics changed.

Oh, and all the stuff everyone else has mentioned. For years no one knew what I meant when I said "disc golf"; now I'm amazed at the recognition. There were probably longer courses somewhere, but I rarely saw a hole over 500'.

Ratings and the proliferation of divisions.

Internet presence, with discussions and course directories.

This site.

Latest posts