• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How long do you look before it's "lost"?

Not going to lie...I literally just bought an underwater flashlight and goggles and I'm going spelunking in our pond at our course cuz I have 2 discs in there and I'm sure there are more!

Rube...go easy on him...not everyone is a forum wizard...and to answer the OP, I always look for my disc, and usually find it, but i dont usually have to worry about slowing my group down because the majority of the time I play alone. I also try to pick out a marker that is close to where my disc landed just in case I feel it's going to be trouble to find....

Someone who cant search the forum probably cant search the woods very well.
i answered this before, as other people said it depends upon the disc, the place it is lost, and if it is in competition.
i search until i feel the people playing with me are getting annoyed by the delay.

I give it two minutes like I gave prerubes mom!

About 30 minutes is the longest I've spent, although if I still can't find it after that, I'll probably come back the next day with fresh eyes and try again if it was a disc I really liked...

I look probably 15 minutes, though it feels like much longer. Sometimes this includes wading in murky water. I played twice a week this winter without a loss, but I'm still figuring out this spring thing. I've lost two on blind shots (one woods, the other weeds) and one in the weeds that I thought I saw land (?), not to mention two in the water.

After a while it seems like I'm just repeating the same search steps. Like the disc was swallowed by the earth, or caught an edge and rolled out of any plausible search radius.

I did call off one search due to darkness, and succesfully completed it the next morning.

I've returned three so far, found two unlabeled, but have yet to have any of mine returned.

During a round, I will spend no more than 5-10 minutes. I don't like to hold up the group.

I will generally go back and search after the round. For a generic thrower, that I have back ups for or can easily re-order on DGC, I will spend another 10-15 minutes looking. For a harder to replace disc or perfectly seasoned disc, I will spend a considerable more amount of time.

I built a lake rake for discs lost in the lake. I will spend a lot of time looking for a disc in the lake. The amount of other discs (with no names) that I find makes it worth it to spend extra time.

played crystal city underground this weekend, i looked for my roc for 30 mins or so in the underground lake, at one point i was in the freezing ass water venturing into the darkness. i thought my feet were going to fall off. i miss you roc