• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many discs are in your bag?

10 discs (8 molds) in the bag.
20 discs (10 molds) in the trunk when I travel.
4 drivers 2-Stable (same mold) 1-US 1-OS
2 fairways/fast mids
2 slow mids
2 putters
I could easily drop 2 molds/discs. Eventually I'll drop 1

You are correct - I certainly am in this stage, trying all the molds I can. Hit a tree and go in the woods, I need either something that will overhand and flatten out, overstable to get around one way or flippy to turnover the other way, or last resort try to sidearm. That's four discs (Tee, three 2nd shot options). I play with one guy who throws a Nuke for every shot except putts. I guess he oversimplifies

Do you play a lot of rounds where you throw multiples?

I'm guessing that if you spent a couple weeks throwing your top 3 choices for every shot, you'd see different discs land really close to each other, and you could whittle down that bag by several discs.

21-22.
I would say 16 are staples that never leave the bag and the other 5 or 6 get swapped out fairly often with the "wannabes" in my trunk.

17 discs 9 molds
4x putters (4 Omegas)
4x mids (Mako3, 2x Roc3, Mortar)
3x fairway (TL3)
3x hybrid (roadrunner, Thunderbird, Draco)
3x distance (3 wraiths)

Probably somewhere between 30 & 40.

Because I don't swap in and out. I try to have everything I need for every occasion in the bag.

But not molds. That's counting duplicates, too. About 20 molds total.

Last edited:
Probably somewhere between 30 & 40.

Because I don't swap in and out. I try to have everything I need for every occasion in the bag.

But not molds. That's counting duplicates, too. About 20 molds total.

You carry up to 40 discs per round? Wow, that's like 15lbs just in plastic...how much does your bag weigh?

21 Discs

4 Putters
4 Mids ( 1 US, 1 S, 1 OS, 1 OS+)
5 Fairway (1 US+, 1 US, 1 S, 1 OS, 1 OS+)
6 Drivers (1 US++, 1 US+, 1 US, 1 S, 1 OS, 1 OS+)
2 Blizzard Drivers (1 OS, 1 US+)

No duplicate molds.

19-21 discs for me lately in my cart and 14 molds currently. I could easily reduce to 10-11 molds and ~15 discs without having a noticeable effect on my game / shot selection. I have some similar molds. I generally don't swap out discs from course to course. If I lose one I might replace it with something else, so my bag evolves slowly over time.

I have sixteen models which I will select through maximum.

Some are specialty for one shot on a particular hole. For instance I have a dragon for a hard anhyzer shot over water. One shot , one hole.

Typically I have about 12 in the bag.

I have always been an advocate of mastering the discs you have versus one of everything. Just my strategy.

Once came up with the idea of rating a course for variety by how many discs required during a typical round. Think I had even made a post about it years ago.

You carry up to 40 discs per round? Wow, that's like 15lbs just in plastic...how much does your bag weigh?

I only use a cart. On courses I MUST use my bag, I'll have just one of each mold, so down to 20 discs.

But if you know me, you'll also know that the DD Warden alone accounts for 7-9 of those.

I bag 12 discs. One or two of those slots seems to rotate, and discs will come and go out of the bag as I see fit.

I don't play tournies, and I'm no touring pro or anything like that. If I were I'd probably bag more discs. I don't like carrying a bunch. I'd rather find some molds that perform and make them work for various shots.

All that said, I've thrown many, many different molds. I have a very good idea what all those molds do. If I need certain discs in or out of the bag for various reasons, I know what to do.

I find that if I start carrying too many discs that I start overthinking shots and doubting my disc choices. I'd rather carry a few molds I know very well than a bunch of molds I don't trust as much.

I carry ten (up from 9), 90% of the time. I don't swap them out since I'm pretty happy with them.

For most of the courses I play, I could easily get by with 3-4. I wouldn't even know what to do with 20 discs. ;)

I agree. Most CO courses are pretty basic. You'd need a mid, putter, fairway driver, and distance driver.

Some of the shorter courses I could play entirely with my Roc3 and McPro Aviar.

I flop between 20 and 12 ... it should be 12.

I just picked up a Kestrel shoulder bag which holds about 10. I'm going to try and stay within that for a while.

I used the same bag from 1997 until this year. For my 25th wedding anniversary present, my wife told me to get the best DG bag/cart I could, so I got a Ridge Roller, baby! And I carry an absurd number of Discs with me just to make up for all that time I only carried 18 in the old In-Flight bag.

I believe I have 30 with me at all times in the RR. It's a lot easier for a Disc to make my starting lineup these days!

18 - 20

I have a UPD Rebel backpack which holds that amount easily. The problem with trying to carry fewer is that they start flopping around in the bag...

Maybe my next purchase should be a lightweight backpack that holds 15 max....

Using the UPD Draw right now carrying just 4-5 discs to keep it simple for the winter. Carrying UPD Pinch with 18 is my regular bag.

Latest posts