• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many midranges have you owned/thrown before finding the one?

I haven't been playing too long (about 10 rounds now). My first two times out I borrowed my friends Roc3 and a Buzzz. I liked the Buzzz more so I went out to my buy one for myself. At the same time as I was buying my FLX Buzzz, I also picked up a Z Comet on a whim. I now found myself using my Comet more than my Buzzz. I have also thrown a friends Shark3 a couple of times to try it out.

I would rank them Comet > Buzzz > Shark3 > Roc3 based on my limited time with them. I don't know if the Comet is THE one yet... I still would like to try some others out but no plans on purchasing a different mid until I get more rounds under my belt.

I have different mid-ranges in my bag right now san marino roc, rancho roc 1 buzz, 1 drone, and 1 panther. The rancho is my favourite for shots i want to go straight with a bit of fade at the end. The drone is my favourite for s-shots or hyzers. The panther is my go to for anhyzer flex shots.

I've had MANY that I thought of as "The One" since I started playing. The Shark I got in my starter set was The One at first, just because I could make it do almost whatever I wanted. Then I got an Evo Glo Element off Ebay and that was The One, even though I still threw my Shark quite a bit. Lost the Element AND the Shark eventually (actually my daughter lost the Element for me ....). Replaced the Shark but not the Element, so I was back to those again. Got a Mako that became The One soon after that, and that held until the Birdie Bash last year when I got my Ibex. I had a DX Roc that I thought would be The One, but the Ibex is now The One. Paired with a Hornet and a Stingray and I have a good set of mids.

At least until the end of May, when I get my first Obex ....

I've gone through the DX Panther, Champion Panther (in my avatar), Star Aero, 150 class Z Storm (still keep all 3 of them and a putter in our vehicles for drive-by play), Impact, Wolf, Cobra, Marino Roc, Flattop Roc, Rancho Roc, Stingray, Stratus, Z Buzzz, and X Comet.

Now I keep the Z Buzzz, Stratus, and
love0012.gif
X Comet
love0012.gif
in my bag.

I bought a cobra as one of my first purchases because they said it was a good beginner disc, and it is still one of my favorite mid ranges. I threw a Buzzz for a little bit until I threw my Truth a couple of times and then I figured out the Truth is pretty much the one for me. Except for my cobra of course. Love them both.

I have a ton of midranges, my favorites to throw for sure. A lot of them rotate and not sure I've really found "the one" but currently my Mako3 and Truth get tossed a lot. But have had a panther for a long time that was my go to midrange.

Right now I'm carrying an M1, Buzzz, and Meteor.

The M1 has recently beat my Drone out of the bag as it is more useable on a normal basis but it still does great into headwinds. I've also been wanting to try out the M3 and M5 as Buzzz and Meteor replacements. Although I don't think the Buzzz and Meteor will be going anywhere.

I played with a DX Shark for years, the tried a Roc / Roc3 out. Neither of them really clicked with me. The Mid's in my bag, now are a Gravity Ghost, Z-Buzzz, and Z-Meteor. I'd say 90% of the time, I'll just grab the Buzzz and it's the right disc for the job.

For grins, I'll sometimes pack a Hornet, Mace, and Comet just to switch it up. I really love the versatility of mid-range discs and don't think there's a right and wrong answer, just throw what works for you.

I carry one straight stable and one overstable mid: a Champ Roc 3 176g, and a Z Hornet 168g. the Roc for straight, no wind or turnover shots, and the Hornet for wind and hyzer fade shots. They fly about the same length. I have used stable Rocs forever and switched up the overstable slot over the years with a Super Roc, Discmania CMD2, Z Wasp, and now the Hornet. Only ever carried 2 mids.

I've been through quite a few mids, started with a Z buzz, then a x comet, z comet, crystal comet, Rocs, Mvp mids, and now I've come full circle back to the Buzz. I now carry two mids a buzz and a tangent, and also use a zone as in my overstable midrange slot. I eventually just realized that the carousel of discs that I kept "bagging" just kept adding strokes to my score. The buzz was my first mid and the tangent, in m case at least, is a more user friendly disc than the comet. Cutting down the molds in my bag was the best thing

Shark, Roc, Wolf, Gator, D Buzzz, Z Buzzz, Glo Z Buzzz, Drone, Hornet, Meteor, Tensor, Vector, Axis, Alias, Tangent, Fuse, Core, Mace, Pain, M1, M2, M3, M4, Verdict, Fugitive, Suspect,

decided on the Truth.

Unless I give Legacy a try and like them...

Before settling on my three current mids (Hornet, Buzzz, and Super Stingray) I went through a number of other molds: Roc, Mako, Stingray, M1, and Zombee (hybrid mid).

Rocs have been in the bag since day one. KCs for wind and hyzers, 04 Worlds Super Roc for straight shots and a DX that turns over quite nice. There was a shark in there originally but didn't real use it much. I bought a Buzzz when they first came out and it's been in and out of my bag ever since. Haven't had much need for anything else.

Gator roc3 m2(m3) mcpro roc3. Those are the mids in my bag, but my pig is my workhorse. 250" and under the piggies go weeeee. I use my mids situationally.

Latest posts