• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How many own a retriever?

Do you own a Golden Retriever disc recovery tool?

• Yes

Votes: 54 43.9%
  • No

Votes: 69 56.1%

• Total voters
I have one, and I used to use it a lot in Florida, where the courses tend to have a lot of water. I've rescued two of my own discs with it, and found 4-5 other lost discs, so it's already more than paid for itself. One time I was trying to fetch a floating disc with it and failing, but some people in a boat came over because they were curious about what I was doing and rescued the disc for me, so it sort of worked there, too.

Now I live in Philly and the local course has no water, so I don't carry it at all anymore.

I definately have one. Not only have I been able to retrieve all the discs that I have thrown in the water, but also many discs that others have left in the water. I had the thing for a total of about 3 days, and it more than payed for itself.

I think the best things about the retriever, besides not losing discs in the water, it really makes your confidence, when shooting around water, a lot higher.

Granted there is water that the retriever can't make go away, but knowing that you have the retriever to get your disc out really let's you go for those shots where water comes in to play without being to causcious about where you're disc is headed.

Go for it!!! So what if you go in the water, YOU'VE GOT A RETRIEVER!!!

After getting close to 100 discs out of reach so far and returning a bunch with names and numbers on them or just getting discs for people who can't get them, all I can say is it paid for itself many times. It is so easy to pack in your bag and takes up almost no room.

I have a couple ideas for my retractable rope for the disc diver.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009WG6KM...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0009WG6KM

Or

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/57616?pi=956642&qs=3012739-Google_Base

The 2nd one is more expensive and 10' shorter than the first one, but it doesnt list a weight, but sounds more portable and is designed to clip on to your belt.

What do you guys think?

I decided to go with the more expensive one with the belt clip.

Was replacing the rope on mine and that rope is just annoying, so I ordered the retractable.

Will be nice with the belt clip also. Wont have to worry about holding onto the end or having someone else hold it.

I'll pos pics once I have it set up and then let you know how it works

I just got a retriever for my birthday, but I haven't had a chance to use mine yet. I have had a few of my discs returned by people at tournaments who did have retrievers and they worked great.

disc-combobulated is my retriever. He is much more reliant than a golden retriever.

I had one. It worked fine, and retrieved many dics. Alot of folks around here have one, plus my creek is no more than 15-20 ft across. So... I sais to myself:
"Self... you can get these discs with a 10 foot twig, any day"
So, I traded it for discs.

I just got a retriever for my birthday, but I haven't had a chance to use mine yet. I have had a few of my discs returned by people at tournaments who did have retrievers and they worked great.

Since this post, my retriever has saved me at least 20 discs. A lot of those I could have gotten back if I wanted to go wading, but on a cold day the retriever is a much nicer option. :thmbup:

ive gotten a couple that i could see but i just got my first one blindly the other day, it was a pretty wide rover about 5-7ft deep, i kind of knew were it landed but not sure and after about 5 throws i snatched it!

I don't own one, but I've seen them in action. They're pretty cool for people who don't want to go into the water. I won't get one though (not bashing on the tool or the company or the folks who use one) as I'll go into chest high water in the dead of winter for a disc, and if I don't my chocolate lab will :)

used mine today, got it 1st try

I hear they work well, but I would never even consider getting one. I think part of the game is either swimming for it( I've even gone under in swamps and gotten bit and covered in leaches) or calling the loss of disc a learning experience. I enjoy stripping bare-ass naked on the links and going into the drink for discs.

^^ ordered a retriever about 5 minutes ago after reading his thread and also throwing a driver into the middle of a pond in a tournament today

I got one but have only used it a couple of times. I don't even carry it on the course. It sits in my car. I believe I have used it more retrieving it off of thin ice than in water. My first reaction is usually the stick flick move before I remember I have the retriever. It's does work decent although you have to be spot on.

I have always wanted one to save a few of my discs. I have not pulled the trigger because the water is very murky where I play so most of the time you can not see it. If I played near clear water I would buy one.

CHEERS - Koffee

This would have made a good poll.

I own one and it paid for itself 3 times over in the first two weeks that I had it. I had a chance to use it in single-digit temps with interesting results. optidiscic had a pretty funny go with it too :rolleyes:

This would have made a good poll.

I own one and it paid for itself 3 times over in the first two weeks that I had it. I had a chance to use it in single-digit temps with interesting results. optidiscic had a pretty funny go with it too :rolleyes:

i last used mine when it was 12 out and had to go into the water to free it

Latest posts