• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How much does a disc golf course cost?

The $20k he mentioned is just for the course hardware. Not for the land.

With 160 acres, assuming it is land acreage, you could build probably 4 or 5 championship caliber gems, or 6-8 standard size courses. Most existing courses occupy an acre per hole if not less.

i couldnt agree with you more. most times you dont have to but the land, you can get the land from a public property as well. and i have never heard of a course taking up that much space

hawk hollow is far and away the biggest course i have seen in terms of acreage and the 27 holes there take up maybe 80 acres.

hawk hollow is far and away the biggest course i have seen in terms of acreage and the 27 holes there take up maybe 80 acres.

Good point. I'm thinking of a course here that I really like. Griffin Park course would be closer to 130-150. Lions, is only about 50 acres and it's mostly a big pond. Colonial is close to 100. my bad.

In my mind, the land under an irrigation pivot is around 130 acres, and that looks to be prime size to me. 18 holes, some long ones, and a 9 hole pitch putt.

Good point. I'm thinking of a course here that I really like. Griffin Park course would be closer to 130-150.
I've played Griffin. That park as a whole might be that kind of acreage (Norman P&R website says 160), but that includes the athletic fields (34 of them!), the interior roads, the walking trails, the parking lots, and all that stuff. I say the disc course is only about a quarter of the land, and there's some dead space inside of it.

Last edited:
I've played Griffin. That park as a whole might be that kind of acreage (Norman P&R website says 160), but that includes the athletic fields (34 of them!), the interior roads, the walking trails, the parking lots, and all that stuff. I say the disc course is only about a quarter of the land, and there's some dead space inside of it.

34 athletic firelds! is that even neccessary?

So it's about 53 acres. Wow, I have a huge misconception of how big/small it is. The other two can't be as big as I think either. I'm comparing them to a 160 pasture I had rented. Guess here's my sign.

Last edited:
How do you recoup your investment without charging players? Even if it's public land, there are the equipment/maintenence costs. Are most courses built with state/city grants etc.?

i have dealt with installed 3 types of courses:
1. public where the parks dept paid for the equipment- this is the majority.
2. public where the disc golfers raised the money for the equipment

both of those tend to be maintained partially by the golfers and partially by the county whether pay to play or not.

3. private- my land was in my family already (we're farmers) and i have scrapped the hardware together over the years at some cost to myself but not exorbitant- i have no intentions of being able to recoup my investment as i can't charge to play without opening a big fat can of worms with both the county and my insurance people. i do accept donations however.

34 athletic firelds! is that even neccessary?

stfu... wow, that's a lot.

Biggest I've seen is 30 acre for 18 hole dg. 5 soccer and 4 baseball, with some misc like sand volleyball in there too.

EDIT: I don't mean stfu in a bad way... I just mean like holy sh** I can't believe that.
Just making sure you didn't take that the wrong way.

i have dealt with installed 3 types of courses:
1. public where the parks dept paid for the equipment- this is the majority.
2. public where the disc golfers raised the money for the equipment

both of those tend to be maintained partially by the golfers and partially by the county whether pay to play or not.

3. private- my land was in my family already (we're farmers) and i have scrapped the hardware together over the years at some cost to myself but not exorbitant- i have no intentions of being able to recoup my investment as i can't charge to play without opening a big fat can of worms with both the county and my insurance people. i do accept donations however.

would you be willing to post some pictures of the course you made on your property?!

Latest posts