• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How tall are the pros?

At GMC I was around lots of them. I am around 5' 9" and this was my perception

Nikko: Normal sized human, around my size.
Mcbeth: Smaller than me
Ricky: Tall but not intimidatingly so
Simon: Similar size to ricky
Koling: We were waiting in line at the Alchemist and he showed up. He is a giant and stood out in line as such
Nate Doss: Normal Sized Human
Nate Sexton: Normal Sized Human
The big surprise for me was seeing Paige Pierce and Catrina Allen. Both very small, I don't know how tall but no more than 5' 5". Anyone who thinks crushing the disc is about size, power, and strength, might want to watch them throw it 450+.

At GMC I was around lots of them. I am around 5' 9" and this was my perception

Nikko: Normal sized human, around my size.
Mcbeth: Smaller than me
Ricky: Tall but not intimidatingly so
Simon: Similar size to ricky
Koling: We were waiting in line at the Alchemist and he showed up. He is a giant and stood out in line as such
Nate Doss: Normal Sized Human
Nate Sexton: Normal Sized Human
The big surprise for me was seeing Paige Pierce and Catrina Allen. Both very small, I don't know how tall but no more than 5' 5". Anyone who thinks crushing the disc is about size, power, and strength, might want to watch them throw it 450+.

Good point on the ladies. In theory, with good form any of us should be able to hit, well, let's not put a number on it since they play disc for their job but reasonably far... that puts height in relation to dg limitations in better perspective... even if bigger levers are advantageous

Last edited:
I'm not quite 6'4. The only pros that I look at and go "yep, he's definitely taller" are Jerm and Stokely...oh and Richard Kilander is the Juggernaut. That dude is huge.

I don't know that I buy Ricky at 6'4. He's got long legs, but I think I've got him...he wears his hat pretty high.

Attachments

• who is taller.jpg
    who is taller.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 78
A lot of distance record holders are stringbeans, tall and skinny with long arms. Most are well over six feet.

Not all though. Wiggins is short like mcbeth, like 5'6" or whatever

I think Paige and Catrina are average to shorter in stature too.

Is it really height that should be compared or wingspan? I now there is usually a correlation with taller people having greater reach but a short player doesn't necessarily have stubby arms either. A guy like Michael Phelps who is 6'4" but has a freakish wing span of 7'0". I'm sure some of the longer lankier players have pretty good reach.

Wiggins has filled out and is a solid 6 footer.
Schwebby is probably 6'4" and @240 but a very athletic throw.
Brian McRee is a 5'9" toothpick but he kills it here in NC.

I've met Simon and he's not quite 6'2" I don't think. I'm just short of 6'3" and he's a little shorter than me.

His arms may be longer though.

Yeah hold on -

Wiggins is not 5'6, neither is Barsby...but in that case I mean he's shorter :D:D

Lol. Wiggins is at 6ft if not over it. He is NOT small and his hands and forearms are massive.

This post just made me realize this whole thread is dumb. because people have no idea, and we dont know how someone was measured, Wiggins 5ft 6", wow. just wow. Im 5'10 he is definitely taller.

I may be off a little on Wiggins,and you may be too, also it was 2014 when I talked to him. But he was not tall by any means.

But tons of power. That was the point.

Wiggins is def around or over 6' but his wingspan is enormous. Also, Barsby is no more than 5'5 and 130 lbs. No joke.

Is it really height that should be compared or wingspan?

I think it would be wingspan:chest diameter ratio. You can have a large wingspan but if your chest is also too wide to pull the disc inward in a way that takes advantage of those levers, it's a hindrance.

I have great levers for bench pressing - short arms, wide chest: makes for a smaller ROM to move the bar through. I've put decent numbers up in competition for my weight. Those levers are exactly the opposite of optimal for disc golf though!

It's not just the length of the lever, but having enough 'room' to fully use the range of motion and maximize those levers.

I think it would be wingspan:chest diameter ratio. You can have a large wingspan but if your chest is also too wide to pull the disc inward in a way that takes advantage of those levers, it's a hindrance.

I have great levers for bench pressing - short arms, wide chest: makes for a smaller ROM to move the bar through. I've put decent numbers up in competition for my weight. Those levers are exactly the opposite of optimal for disc golf though!

It's not just the length of the lever, but having enough 'room' to fully use the range of motion and maximize those levers.
Exactly! Skinny hips and shoulders with long arms gives you crazy ability to create space and angles on the disc/power pocket to swing through. Like different size wheels on a car you can turn your hips/shoulder much faster if the diameter is shorter giving you a larger multiplier effect to the arm. All the top throwers that are small guys like McBeth, Brinster, GG, Nikko and Barsby all have relatively skinny shoulders.

Latest posts