• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to drive putters??

dsm767

I can never seem to be able to drive putters over, tops 150ft on a good day, my main putter is a MVP ION 171 weight which I can nail 30ft putts no problem, I have also tried many putters including a dx rhino, star aviar, aerobie arrow, a r-pro pig and a few other putters but cant seem to drive any of them far enough on a par three to ace a hole or have a shot at a birdie. The same goes for my mid-range discs of which I currently use a 173 mako which I have found to be incredibly straight flying but holds a line where I don't want the disc to fly. I also have a lighter Mako a 160 weight and found it to be a little to floppy, but on the random occasion can see it making longer shots in practices. I have also used a z-hawk which I loved for short lay ups but lost the disc, and a champ spider which I found to have good lay ups as well, but for the most part dropped down heavily before its intended mark making for a long putt on the next shot. I have tried out the buzz in both the esp and elite z and seemed to like them, but favored the esp plastic for its grip and it seemed like it would hold an ahny well. I don't know what i'm doing wrong to NOT have any of these discs going over 150ft consistently when I can RHBH drivers 300ft-350 on average. I use a 4 finger grip on the drivers and a fan grip on my mids and putters anyway I try to throw them and have heard that I may need to change my grip on my putters to get them out to the distance I would like them to go. any thoughts?

How high are you throwing them? Are they turning right and crashing to the ground?

Do you throw ultimate frisbees much? That's kind of how I treat putters that are stable/understable. I can put a magnet 250-300 feet or so. Usually, I'll hyzer it and give it TONS of height- This way, it has time to right itself, and glide on all that air, which is how they get their distance. You can't really do this on a tunnel shot so much, you really need an open ceiling to do so. Don't change your grip at all. Just work with different hyzer angles and release heights.

I've found that I prefer Magnets for this shot, although you should be fine with whatever. I can't seem to get Aviars out as far but I'm not as familiar with them. Rhynos you want to give a little less height but same principle.

Where you from?

generally I think I throw them to high and they turn and crash softly left, when I correct this I throw to hard right, maybe with too much speed because they hold a line straight to the right and go nowhere near where I want them to, I thought I was releasing too late but when I corrected that they don't have enough speed to get out into the field

Also, don't beat yourself up. The fact that your throwing them 150' is great. Room for improvement for sure, but throwing 300-350' with your faster drivers, you might not be able to get your putters out there quite yet, unless you're a huge ulitimate player, in which case it'd probably be the inverse of that haha.

generally I think I throw them to high and they turn and crash softly left, when I correct this I throw to hard right, maybe with too much speed because they hold a line straight to the right and go nowhere near where I want them to, I thought I was releasing too late but when I corrected that they don't have enough speed to get out into the field

It's kind of tricky to explaine, but you don't want to throw them high with your nose up. I honestly couldn't tell you the mechanics of it, but you want to throw them high, while keeping the nose on the disc level/pointing down. I know that is crap advice, perhaps even wrong, but that's the only thing I can think of. Outside of that, it takes WICKED snap to get them to cushion that air.

From Maine, love ultimate but i'm better at catching discs while running then throwing the big birds, I think I need to get out to the beach a bit to get back to basics on soft putting since the disc shapes are so similar, but thats not my issue I've only got better at putting making a leap from sinking 15ft puts to 30ft puts this year so driving longer with these discs with less speed is my issue, I have no problem hyzering a shot 200ft or less for a layup, but i'm looking for those put in shots off the tee with a disc that wont overdrive a short hole but I can still put some on it, really hoping to shave some strokes off this year my best score is a -17 on a par 70 so I really need to get to the point where I can squeeze out shots for everything they are worth

Throwing magnets 300' aye? Sounds like we do need to meet up, I want to see this. I can only get my jk aviar to about the 200' mark, do you think magnets have more distance potential than an ion?

my ion def goes farther then any putter in my bag or have had previously, its better at any shot that I would use a putter for then anything I have tried, but I haven't tried any Wizard discs yet and have heard good things, I'm sticking with my ION as far as putts go but distance is key off the tee and I don't have confidence in any putter or mid I have to go to a pin off the tee

Craton's nose down advice is spot on, based on what you're saying so far. Also, I think he hit the nail on the head in saying you probably need more snap. Work on throwing from a standstill with putters until you can throw them for D, then try to add an X step. I recently totally reworked my throw by doing this and have added close to 50' to my distance drives.

Wizards are amazong driving discs. Almost no left to right movement on straight shots, hold both an/hyzer very well and also a touch overstable for big arms. Love em.

Um magnet 300'. I like to embellish but throwing with a hurricane force tail wind does not count. I don't know I'm skeptical.

i'd like to think i could get met my soft magnet out to 300', but i've only been able to get it out to 250'.

but back to the OP, sounds like mechanics. if you're putting drivers out past 300', you should be able to put any putter past 200'+, imo.

I have tried x steps and stand stills and havent noticed a significant change in distance, as far as snap goes that may be it the more i put on a putter the more it goes far right, any ideas about creating more snap, more drive behind my disc

The key like quite a few people already said is snap and a hyzer release. You want a smooth pull as well. Don't try to muscle it. And its similar to throwing ultimate but a stable putter like a bb aviar is alot more forgiving of bad form and if thrown with hyzer less prone to turn and burn. Throw a ultimate throw like a putter drive and no one will try to catch it. I throw my jk's 275-300, and everything else jumbles up at 320-400. I try to muscle drivers too much, I finesse aviars and rocs just right, its frustrating. So smooth pull, hyzer release, and snap. Practice helps, most people never commit to learning to drive a putter so they doubt.

true practice makes perfect I have nothing to loose by continuing until I get it right

Um magnet 300'. I like to embellish but throwing with a hurricane force tail wind does not count. I don't know I'm skeptical.

300 with a Magnet is realistic for a lot of people. A little tailwind never hurt anyone though.

Your problem is related to grip, but you don't need to change the type of you grip you use exactly. Rather, just adjust how the disc sits in your hand with a focus on your index finger and thumb. Your getting OAT on your putter because the disc is not rotating cleanly around your index finger pad, probably because you are pinching the disc funny with your thumb. If it's happening on your putts, it's probable that it's also happening on your drives but your drivers are covering it up.

i'd like to think i could get met my soft magnet out to 300', but i've only been able to get it out to 250'.

but back to the OP, sounds like mechanics. if you're putting drivers out past 300', you should be able to put any putter past 200'+, imo.

I don't have much of an arm (Max drives 320 on a good day) and I can get my Pro D Magnet out 200-210, dead straight.

Thats true I recently changed my drive grip to a four finger grip, from a three finger with no pinky finger, and noticed a ton more stability and about 50+ more ft on average on every throw by tightly grasping where the thumb and index touch together on the plastic, I can feel the disc like I haven't before it seems more effortless. so your saying I should incorporate this into my putters as well?

Throwing magnets 300' aye? Sounds like we do need to meet up, I want to see this. I can only get my jk aviar to about the 200' mark, do you think magnets have more distance potential than an ion?

Never thrown an Ion, and I honestly can't get Avairs very far. But the JK's feel SO great in my hands...I think it's just because I'm jealous of the plastic. I wish they had Soft Magnets that were as durable as JK Aviars...if only I could melt a JK and pour it into a Magnet mold. I'd be in heaven.