• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to run a successful event

teemkey

* Ace Member *
I'd like to run an event this coming summer; however, I've never done it before. Can I get some first time TD advice?

Try not to be a first time TD. Help out at as many events as you can before doing your own.

Run an Ace Race or Birdie Bash.
Format is less complex than a divisional event.
It gets your feet wet and gives you good experience.

Thanks, but I'd really like to run an event focused on kids & geezers, since when I complain about the lack of events offering divisions for kids & geezers I always get the smart asses saying "Quit whining! If you don't like it, run your own damn tournament."

Make a list of sponsors so its easy to remember
Make a list of what you need to say in players meeting

Make a supply check list of everything you will need.
Tournament board
score card
leader board cards
pencils
sharpies
spray paint (if needed)
note pad
rule book - always good to have anyways
o.b. sheets
envelopes for pro payout
sticky notes for am payout or cards for pick your own
string or tape measure for ctp's
envelopes for ace pot and money or money box.
zip locks
bandages
Plus anything else you might need, i'm sure there is more.

Be ready for the unexpected. In the events I've been a part of we have had crazy weather, unexpected attendance, not disc golfers on the course, and people throwing in areas I never expected them to have thrown(o.b. issues).

When setting up the board try to be smart about it. If you know you are going to have one group play way slower then others, have them start after the biggest back up hole to give the groups behind some space or put a gap between them and the next group if you are able.

Get as many helpers as you can, especially in the morning. I recommend 2-3 people for taking entry fees, making cards, and giving out players packs. 1 person on the leader board, and 1 person per any side activity (ace pot throw off for example). Getting someone to answer simple questions is good also, there will always be people asking where a hole is or how long until tee off. During the round if You can get spotters on trouble holes you will save a lot of time and headaches for the players. Have multiple people check scores and transferring them to the board.

Don't play in the tournament, I know some people can play and keep up with everything else but it is much easier on you and saves everyone time if you don't. This allows You plenty of time to set up payout. While also allowing you to solve any issues on the course asap.

Preregistration, this isn't a huge deal but it will save you a ton of hassle in the morning of. Even if only 15 people preregister it will save you a lot of time. There are a few sites out there, Discgolfunited being one, that will allow players to do online also.

This should go without saying but make sure you are cleared to do this at the park. Most places will require you to have insurance which isn't cheap.

Good luck

Best Advice: seek to use an event format that is low on risk structure.

Could be any format really, fundraiser or trophy (recognition) only, but the key for first time is avoiding the merchandise order risk. Merchandise orders rely on risk - minimum orders, speculation about attendance, capital outlay and recuperation expectations, and so on and so on.

I like putting together events and even step up to be main lead on events when I know at the first outside small business sponsor signing on - that I'm already in the black even before anyone signs up - on club or charity fundraiser events. The whole thing could cancel out in a lightning storm or natural disaster and no one loses their shirt on a big merchandise order. The low cost, low overhead, low player gift (if any) model.

If you are really good at setting up duty assignment, delegation and recruitment - one can even set up a whole event where in theory the event could go off well even if you personally went down with a ruptured appendix or something on a days notice.

As the above 2 posters mentioned, get volunteers and delegate tasks for them to do. The worst tournament experiences I've had are the result of TDs trying to do too much on their own, essentially wasting everyone's time. It especially sucks when it's getting dark and cold and people are offering to help, and getting told "No, I got this under control" :|

Try not to be a first time TD. Help out at as many events as you can before doing your own.

This is the best advice so far IMO^^

Learning by doing is good, but you better start it in a position where you dont have 100% of the responsability

Thanks, but I'd really like to run an event focused on kids & geezers, since when I complain about the lack of events offering divisions for kids & geezers I always get the smart asses saying "Quit whining! If you don't like it, run your own damn tournament."

Keep it simple. Pick a date, pick a course, set your format and pricing, and go.

I think the biggest mistake that people make running their first or first few tournaments is they get bogged down in trying to make it the biggest bestest tournament ever. There's nothing wrong with baby steps as a TD. Don't try to do anything that is beyond your means or your capabilities.

Make no promises other than a day of fun competitive play. Keep entries low but high enough to cover your expenses. If you do players packs and/or prizes, try to find a local vendor to work with you even if it's just handing out gift certificates that your players can redeem on their own time.

Above all, keep in mind that it is your event. Run your event your way. Don't let people push you around, especially if they're pushing you in a direction you don't want to go. If people aren't happy about something, they're free to step up and do it themselves.

IMO, the best events are the ones where it's clear that the TD (and staff) are passionate about the event and doing the best they can with it. It doesn't have to be the richest or the highest attended events to be great. Those that are the richest and highest attended rarely get that way overnight.

Last edited:
Those PDGA checklists were extremely helpful to me. Though I started out after assisting with other tournaments, so wasn't completely in the dark.

Keep it simple. Pick a date, pick a course, set your format and pricing, and go.

I think the biggest mistake that people make running their first or first few tournaments is they get bogged down in trying to make it the biggest bestest tournament ever. There's nothing wrong with baby steps as a TD. Don't try to do anything that is beyond your means or your capabilities.

Make no promises other than a day of fun competitive play. Keep entries low but high enough to cover your expenses. If you do players packs and/or prizes, try to find a local vendor to work with you even if it's just handing out gift certificates that your players can redeem on their own time.

Above all, keep in mind that it is your event. Run your event your way. Don't let people push you around, especially if they're pushing you in a direction you don't want to go. If people aren't happy about something, they're free to step up and do it themselves.

IMO, the best events are the ones where it's clear that the TD (and staff) are passionate about the event and doing the best they can with it. It doesn't have to be the richest or the highest attended events to be great. Those that are the richest and highest attended rarely get that way overnight.

This.

I'd start out with a relatively low entry, no sponsors, either no players pack or a simple one (a standard disc, no custom stamp), 1-day, and just worry about getting it to run smoothly. In future years, if there are future years, you can grow it with all those extras.

This is the best advice so far IMO^^

Learning by doing is good, but you better start it in a position where you dont have 100% of the responsability

Would you say the same for a league event with fewer than 15 players? Just curious. I'm running my first league event on Monday and though I really want to play, I might skip the first event to see how it runs.

#1 rule, go to your local governing club to set up your idea and get approval.
#2 if you have zero experience, don't. Volunteer first.

Fewer than fifteen players?

Gosh, in that case you can ask each person individually - "Bob, you on board with the plan? Carl, how about you? Eric, any questions? Lindsey, we good?" , etc...

No hesititation to play in that case example.

I would suggest someone who has experience assist you on running it. Also helping other directors in previous tournaments and just watching the process helps. There's so much to it even if its a non sanctioned event.
Here's some things I can think of:
Supplies: reg. cards, scorecards, scoreport, sign up sheets for ace pool, ctp's, etc. Multiple sharpies in different colors to mark what division people are in on reg. cards. Course/Hole info hand outs. Pencils, flags. Envelopes for payouts, ctp flags/cards, air horn.
Provide a couple cases of water and place 2 or 3 cases on the course.
WRITE everything out on what tees everyone is playing, rules, any changes, OB and so on.
When calling out cards for players to go to their holes, call out the ones that take the longest to get to first. Also space groups out if possible. Make sure you don't put larger groups in front of smaller ones or give them a fair amount of a gap in between. If you are playing, start your group where you would likely finish quicker than everyone else.
During lunch, figure out all the payouts and make sure everything adds up accordingly. Having a couple people double checking scores during this extremely helps.
When all rounds are done, it helps to keep the players entertained as in having some kind of contest/s such as someone running a putting contest, throw off for the ace pool, calling out ctp winners and so on. After adding score totals, keep a look out for tied scores that will affect the payout.
Make sure no other events are going on at the park/course on that day/s. Reserve a shelter or possibly get a permit to be safe depending on how your park system is. Make sure the course is in good shape the days prior and mark any controversial OB and so on.
There's likely more that I currently cant think of but I learned something new every tournament that I ran, assisted or competed from other td's so having someone with experience helps.

Thanks for all the advice. I played in a rather casual unsanctioned event today, and recruited the two guys running it as co-TDs. We have a connection with the owners of a local course (they provided some funds for my trip to Am Worlds last summer), and they also have a pro shop on site, so I think the major bases are covered.

Special thanks to eday for the itemized list. I'll definitely reference it as the time draws near.

A lot of great advice already in this thread.

I ran my first c-tier last year, my experience was that you should always have fun doing it!
If you as the TD can have a good time and enjoy what you are doing, the players in the tournament will notice it. Don´t let you get dragged down by people that might complain about some minor things. Get out there, do your best and have a blast doing it!

Choose the ones that might be helping you wisely. A small but dedicated group of people can work wonders compared to a bunch of guys/girls that don´t really want to be there in the first place and much rather would like to not get their hands dirty.