• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How to stop throwing too high

frdyno

What are some common reasons to be throwing WAY too high in the air upon release. Ive never head this problem until recently. And even though im completely aware that its happening, I cant fix it. LHBH

1. Throwing nose up, i.e. poor angle of release.
2. Reaching back low (with your elbow pointed up), and finishing high.

I have the same issue myself. What I'm finding that I'm doing wrong is my spine isn't properly aligned during the throwing process. My upper body tends to be leaned back towards my back leg, not straight up & down like it should be at the hit point. Also, I notice that rolling your wrist down a bit and holding onto the disc longer helps keep the nose down, which is another thing I'm working on. Or, maybe it's just how us lefties throw, lol.

Most common reason is nose up grip causing high flights: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml

Also it's commonly having your torso tip during the throw, causing inconsistent swing planes. If you are reaching back by tilting over, and also stepping through during the throw your spine is likely doing all sorts of things during the throw. Look up videos/info on proper bracing for that. This is a much more involved, but very important thing to fix.

I've seen this a lot from newer players, and while I don't know your specific situation.. make sure you are really following through after your release. If you are LHBH, then that right shoulder should be getting flung around after you release, like you should be throwing a punch with your right arm after you release.

I try to keep my elbow slightly above my hand through the pull, follow through with your arm staying below your shoulder, and putting the disc nose up at the reach back, so it is nose down at release; i.e., tilt your hand down at the reach back like your pouring something out of a cup or as someone said in another thread, pouring from a teapot.

I try to keep my elbow slightly above my hand through the pull, follow through with your arm staying below your shoulder, and putting the disc nose up at the reach back, so it is nose down at release; i.e., tilt your hand down at the reach back like your pouring something out of a cup or as someone said in another thread, pouring from a teapot.

thanks for the tip, ill give it a shot today.

I have the same issue myself. What I'm finding that I'm doing wrong is my spine isn't properly aligned during the throwing process. My upper body tends to be leaned back towards my back leg, not straight up & down like it should be at the hit point. Also, I notice that rolling your wrist down a bit and holding onto the disc longer helps keep the nose down, which is another thing I'm working on. Or, maybe it's just how us lefties throw, lol.

when you talk about your spine, do you mean like youre "side bending" during your reach back and you shouldnt be doing that?

Something simple to try that is less technical. Look at your reach back. Sometimes throwing too high is as simple as reaching back too low. Set up a line from your target all the way back to your reach back. Are you on that line? If you're below it, you may be pulling low to high.

Forgive me for stating the obvious here but...

QUIT SMOKING SO MUCH WEED

when you talk about your spine, do you mean like youre "side bending" during your reach back and you shouldnt be doing that?
Right. You want to make sure that your spine is perpendicular to the ground. I tend to lean back when I do my reach back, and seldom do I manage to correct it before the hit, which makes my throwing shoulder aim upward, vs. straight ahead. Keep your spine straight from beginning to end, and it'll help keep your throwing plane level. I'm still learning myself, so if I'm wrong on this, please anyone with more experience feel free to correct me on this.

Something simple to try that is less technical. Look at your reach back. Sometimes throwing too high is as simple as reaching back too low. Set up a line from your target all the way back to your reach back. Are you on that line? If you're below it, you may be pulling low to high.
I agree to watch your reachback, but often find the opposite to be true, players reaching back really high and finishing low with the nose of the disc up, and air-bouncing it back up from a downward trajectory, ultimately it all just depends on the release angle.

You should literally look directly at your hand/disc the entire swing, do not look at the target, the disc is your target during the swing just like the ball is your target in ball golf. You body does the aiming to the target. Watch the angle of the disc swinging through and keep it as flat as possible all the way from start to finish with your arm swing matching that same plane all the way around 360 degrees from your spine/shoulders like you have a table under your shoulders and you swing along the top of the table, if the spine is tilted, the table is tilted and you should match the same tilt table for your swing. If you are tilted forward chest toward knees, your disc and swing plane will be more vertical for hyzer throws, so the arm/disc will swing through low and finish high.

The image below is one of the most common issues of throwing nose up where the disc orientation is not aligned to the top of the forearm. Keeping it aligned helps maintain angle and also applying force in the same direction.
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/dgr/resources/articles/gripittoripit.shtml
discorientation01.jpg
discorientation02.jpg

Right. You want to make sure that your spine is perpendicular to the ground. I tend to lean back when I do my reach back, and seldom do I manage to correct it before the hit, which makes my throwing shoulder aim upward, vs. straight ahead. Keep your spine straight from beginning to end, and it'll help keep your throwing plane level. I'm still learning myself, so if I'm wrong on this, please anyone with more experience feel free to correct me on this.
Ideally you want to throw with slight hyzer say maybe 5 degrees and throw something that understable enough for your armspeed to flip to flat during flight, which puts you into a natural athletic ready position with slight forward spine tilt chest toward knees and balance toward toes/quick.

There really is no such thing as throwing flat/horizontal - release .01 degree this way or that and it totally changes the flight. It's also hard to generate a lot of power with a totally vertical spine and transfer it horizontal, the tendency is almost always to over torque downward/anhyzer from vertical position.

A very common misconception is that if you throw with an upward trajectory that the disc will not go as far. If the disc is nose down to its upward trajectory it creates a more aerodynamic profile and less drag slowing the disc down. The pitch of the nose down will also help keep it flying flatter longer.

If you throw with a downward trajectory the only way the disc will not go directly into the ground 10-20' in front of you is if you release the disc nose up, creating a ton of lift/drag slowing the disc down.

this may be the culprit. im always leaning and bending back to get the disc back more.

this may be the culprit. im always leaning and bending back to get the disc back more.

Yep, common problem. The point of the reachback is to load up by turning into the rear hip and getting your torso loaded. No tipping!! Remember to not just reach back with the disc, also get your rear shoulder blade toward the target too (helps you turn around your spine).

Latest posts