• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hyzer power loss

gammaxgoblin

Eagle Member
So I can throw a distance driver 390 on a line about 4 feet off the ground. When I throw hyzer shots it seems like my form is flawed in some way as I can only throw the same disc about 300 maybe 25 to 30 feet high. I know hyzer distance is less than straight or flipped though. My Max throw is about 420 when thrown just right. I feel like I should be able to throw a decently high hyzer about 350 but that just isn't happening. Are there any typical form problems people make that, without video, you could suggest I might consider?? Thanks!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What disc and where are you aiming?
Well that depends on the shot I suppose, I'm mainly throwing teebirds, destroyer, boss, teerex/devil when I want a right to left finish..... If I were looking at the basket and it was the center of a clock with 9 and 3 being level with the ground I would generally aim around 130-200. So 30 to 45 degrees, but again it depends on the shot.

I sometimes throw stable to understable for longer spikes. I throw overstable when i want to control distance and get to the ground faster on a spike. Throw overstable flat if you are looking for distance.

I had the same problem and knew I was doing something different in my form when attempting high hyzers. For me, I was either missing the weight shift, or screwing up the timing all together and going way to the right of my intended line.

My lighbulb moment came from this gif (Thanks HUB).

j5wNkZB.gif

For the first time ever, I reached ~400' with a high hyzer. That's with a skyline cannon that has some great glide at high speeds. With my beefy outlaw, I use more of a flat release hyzer to get that 330-350 range.

I think the door frame drill is another good way of demonstrating how much more power you can get shifting that torso on your line. I visualize the piriformis (where it connects to the trochanter major of the femur) with the outer edge of the deltoid straight above it, leading the weight shift on the intended line. I find it easier to get results, when trying to implement these changes, thinking of how that muscle feels when you're in the right position. If you think of a place on your body, you can physically feel it. Then when you step up to the tee, think of that feeling as you visualize the flight you want to take.

Make sure you are striding toward where you want to release, not striding your normal line and then trying to release to the right for a RHBH hyzer. The distance loss will be significant but not what you're experiencing. If you're throwing hard line drives near 400' I'd think you could throw an overstable disc on a pure hyzer in the 325' range, moderately overstable disc on a sweep hyzer near 350', and slightly understable discs on a high sweep hyzer over 350' by a bit, maybe up to 370'. Guidelines of course.

I would make sure your stride direction is correct and try working your way up from the Teebirds on sweep hyzers, like just 5-10 degree hyzer, and see how far they carry. Then work up from speed and overstability in increments. Depending on the specific Destroyer/Boss/OS fast driver, they could be costing you a ton of distance. If you are throwing a flippy Destroyer 400' but your OS Destroyer goes 330' on a flat throw, then you put that OS Destroyer on a hyzer...then it's not surprising if it is going 300' or so. But I do realize in your first post you said the same disc. I would look at X-step direction and work your way from shallow hyzer angles as well.

Well that depends on the shot I suppose, I'm mainly throwing teebirds, destroyer, boss, teerex/devil when I want a right to left finish..... If I were looking at the basket and it was the center of a clock with 9 and 3 being level with the ground I would generally aim around 130-200. So 30 to 45 degrees, but again it depends on the shot.

Those are relatively overstable discs for long hyzers, overstable disc seek the ground fast on hyzer. You want understable discs on hyzer so they kind of "turn" higher or stay higher, rather than turn over. You also want to make sure you are aiming to the apex with an upward trajectory, while the disc's nose is relatively down to the trajectory. It sounds as if you are trying to throw flat/level and the nose is up so they sky up on you to the apex and lose a lot of momentum due to drag, lifting it's way up.

I had the same problem and knew I was doing something different in my form when attempting high hyzers. For me, I was either missing the weight shift, or screwing up the timing all together and going way to the right of my intended line.

My lighbulb moment came from this gif (Thanks HUB).

j5wNkZB.gif

For the first time ever, I reached ~400' with a high hyzer. That's with a skyline cannon that has some great glide at high speeds. With my beefy outlaw, I use more of a flat release hyzer to get that 330-350 range.

I think the door frame drill is another good way of demonstrating how much more power you can get shifting that torso on your line. I visualize the piriformis (where it connects to the trochanter major of the femur) with the outer edge of the deltoid straight above it, leading the weight shift on the intended line. I find it easier to get results, when trying to implement these changes, thinking of how that muscle feels when you're in the right position. If you think of a place on your body, you can physically feel it. Then when you step up to the tee, think of that feeling as you visualize the flight you want to take.

Is there a gif of this through the throw? Very nice top down view.

Latest posts