• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I am THEY

I have been working on a new course this year. The course is 50 minutes away from my office and I drive out there and work 1-2 days/week. I pay for my own gas, my chainsaws and weekeaters. I now have other volunteers joining me out there. It's on the property of a new brewery. None of us drink beer. We do it for the love of the game and the feeling of accomplishment. Saturday I took the day off from working at this course and went to a local course and spent 4 hours working there. I never threw a disc. I really enjoy the time I spend doing this stuff.

making up for lost time... :)

I've never been "they", outside of picking up trash, but I try and show massive respect to "them" for keeping the local courses as nice as they are. It seems only yesterday that my home course MMS, Austin, was a filthy mess, until I remember that it's literally been years in near perfect condition, week in, week out. Austin has a wonderful group of "they", especially the Waterloo folks.

We were them today. Spent 8 hrs. preaching / teaching the gospel to the masses at the Ohio State Fair. There are about 20 courses in state parks in Ohio and the ODNR has a large display area on the fairgrounds. This year they bought 3 portable Discatchers and we set up 2 small holes to play. Ran a few hundred people of all ages through it and made many converts. Even had a bit of a putting duel with the Governor! Doing it all again on Friday. Major props to my cohorts Ken Rollins, Lisa Warner and Johnny & Adele Sias, who made the trip up from W.Va. The fair runs 12 days and the DG should be manned for it's entirety. Pay it forward.

We were them today. Spent 8 hrs. preaching / teaching the gospel to the masses at the Ohio State Fair. There are about 20 courses in state parks in Ohio and the ODNR has a large display area on the fairgrounds. This year they bought 3 portable Discatchers and we set up 2 small holes to play. Ran a few hundred people of all ages through it and made many converts. Even had a bit of a putting duel with the Governor! Doing it all again on Friday. Major props to my cohorts Ken Rollins, Lisa Warner and Johnny & Adele Sias, who made the trip up from W.Va. The fair runs 12 days and the DG should be manned for it's entirety. Pay it forward.

This is very awesome, Goof job guys!

Spent my time after work clearing out crap for a new course today... guess I'm one of "them."

Thank you for volunteering your time. I know there are a thousand other things you could be doing. Could you lobby whomever is responsible for the current state of Ohio State Park disc golf courses and ask them to consult a professional course designer to make them more playable? I have not played all 19 courses, but the 5 I have played are just not very good. From the 10 feet wide fairways choked with trees at East Harbor and Punderson to the short dangerous Van Buren, I know that they could all be improved with some professional guidance.

I am sharing this because I thought it was kinda cool the way it worked out

What a weird, random day:

I drive truck for a living, and today I hauled an early load to Port Angeles, Wa.
The boss said that's it for the day, so now I am approx. 2.5 hrs. away from home and its only 10:30 a.m..

Then, I remembered I had seen on FB, that the Port Angeles disc golf club was pouring concrete Teepads today.

So I went and found the course, and next thing you know, I'm rolling a wheelbarrow and pulling a screed board.

I am "They" in Port Angeles now.

Crazy :hfive:

Crazy how things just WORK OUT when you decide to be "They", MattC :clap:

"They" were busy this weekend.......... Installed 9 more holes at Stonykill in Chatham NY!!

picture.php

Last edited:
I am sharing this because I thought it was kinda cool the way it worked out

What a weird, random day:

I drive truck for a living, and today I hauled an early load to Port Angeles, Wa.
The boss said that's it for the day, so now I am approx. 2.5 hrs. away from home and its only 10:30 a.m..

Then, I remembered I had seen on FB, that the Port Angeles disc golf club was pouring concrete Teepads today.

So I went and found the course, and next thing you know, I'm rolling a wheelbarrow and pulling a screed board.

I am "They" in Port Angeles now.

Crazy :hfive:

:thmbup::clap::clap::clap::clap: Great job. Don't know if I would have done the samething if I was in your position.

Spent my time after work clearing out crap for a new course today... guess I'm one of "them."

:hfive:

And not just here...BnM's helped out before! :hfive: :cool:

(Hint: He's good at ferreting out hornet's nests with weedwhackers! ;) :p )

Everyone's good at something... thanks to Noill and you for helping me find my calling. :eek: :\ :p :cool:

*digs new smiley limit *

Hopefully he can take his talents to Mill Creek next month ;)

Last year the hornets and ground wasps were brutal over here. Hopefully all the rain this year will ruin their ground-nesting parades. :mad:

Ditto, in SW MI. Three or four doozy ground wasp nests last year...none so far this year, and none the previous 3-4 years.

Had some mud daubers, as well as the carpenter bees that are usually around (and fairly harmless). :eek:

Latest posts