• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] I cycle Rocs but...

GirdleRoc

Birdie Member
Last summer I started to put more time into disc golf and have been experimenting with different molds. Last summer I found a beat in roc(with no name on it) and fell in love. Then I purchased two more to cycle(for more love). I use my rocs from 200-250 ft. and I love the ability to put the roc onto a line and hold it. I have a dilemma now… I feel like my rocs don't fill two slots in my mid-range line up. One slot is an OS disc throw on a sharp hyzer, usually because I have thrown a bad shot and I am trouble. Then the other slot is an understable midrange that will turn right and finish straight/right. I want to keep my bag simple but since I throw a mid-range almost every hole it would be good to cover all the shots.
Discs I own that I think apply here: Aviars, beat pro-d buzz, really beat dx roc, lightly used dx roc, new dx roc, pro leopard, Glo Champ Firebird.
I throw RHBH with a little FH.
Should my cycled rocs cover all my shots?
Since I like experimenting should I just buy new plastic and hope I am not disappointed?
Or is there another option?
I basically throw Innova so the two discs I was looking at are a Gator and a Foxbat.
:popcorn:

Thanks for the advice!

A gator would probably serve you well for headwind shots or when you need to have some fade at the end. I think you may want to try a KC pro roc they usually take the beating process better than dx. So when they get to the under stable stage they are still usable. Dx discs tend to get to much damage as they age. A stingray might be another to use as an under stable disc. Though classified as a driver they are really just a long midrange.

An X or ESP Comet might be worth a try for your understable slot. Comets feel very similar to Rocs, but fly slightly different lines. Also, if a Star Rancho Roc (the most overstable easily attainable Roc) isn't overstable enough, you could try a a beaded Gator.

I like cycled rocs and for that over stable slot I keep a flat ti wasp in the bag. It feels a lot like a roc, but a good bit more over stable. For the under I just have a super beat roc that works great.

I cycle rocs as well. I keep an X comet in the bag for hyzer flips that turn way right or anhyzers in tailwinds, things like that. It feels similar to a roc in the hand, and basically flies like a really glidey, really beat in roc. For the overstable shots, if a newish roc can't handle it I find I'm better off powering down a firebird for consistency rather than trying to muscle an overstable putter or mid that's still more susceptible to wind than a sharper driver is.

I cycle rocs as well. I keep an X comet in the bag for hyzer flips that turn way right or anhyzers in tailwinds, things like that. It feels similar to a roc in the hand, and basically flies like a really glidey, really beat in roc. For the overstable shots, if a newish roc can't handle it I find I'm better off powering down a firebird for consistency rather than trying to muscle an overstable putter or mid that's still more susceptible to wind than a sharper driver is.

This is everything I was going to say. I don't have a turnover Roc yet, unless it's breezy or downhill, so I use comets to fill that role. I have a Star Roc that is a bit more than moderately overstable, but I would sooner use a C-FD or Firebird in windy conditions and FH shots.

A Pinnacle Ghost from Legacy works good for that overstable slot as well. Mine holds very well into headwinds, and has a solid fade at the end of it's flight with little wind.

A stingray might be another to use as an under stable disc. Though classified as a driver they are really just a long midrange.
Learned to trust the Stingray for a left-to-right disc that will not "go-roller" or "turn-and-burn" on me. Don't know what I would do without it.

KC pro roc that you only throw for that OS shot, I dunno......just throwing it out there. Or just say forget the overstable mid and power down a firebird, that's what I do. I have a zone and a firebird, nothing in between, I can throw my mids with a ton of hyzer or pull out my firebird.

Not sure what you mean by "finish straight/right" as those would be two different flight patterns. A roc that finishes straight is just one that is used enough to turn, but will still fade back and finish straight. I'm sure your current Rocs can do that. For finishing right, a disc that just holds an anhyzer line, or can turn over and hold that line is great: I use a Mako3 for that slot.

I just recently got my Gator so I don't know enough to say if its a good compliment to the rocs. But so far, whenever I use it for recovery shots to get around an obstacle and have a heavy fade, it does its job. I think the longer distance heavy fade shot might not be the best with a Gator, but a brand new max weight Roc (in my opinion).

I have been throwing a fuzion suspect. For me it doesnt want to turn and can always rely on it fading. Just add hyzer to get some more finish if needed.

My mids from OS to US:
Gator (175 - New-ish DX Roc (173) - Champ Roc3 (180) - OS to straight DX Roc (180) - Champ Roc3 (167) - Straight to slightly US Dx Roc (172)
The I put the last DX Roc on an anhyzer, it'll keep that line. I've pushed it to 340'-350' on an anhyzer in left to right tailwind. It will finish a lot to the right, but it's perfect for dog-legs etc. I've got nothing that I can hyzer-flip yet, but it'll be there in time for the summer! :)

i power up a zone or power down a fairway driver for the OS mid slot, and a dx roc that has been beat to snot for the understable slot. a really beat up dx roc can do some pretty amazing things depending on how much power and how much hyzer you give it.

I use a Harp in that slot, added bonus that you can use it in the OS putter spot too.

Your beat in DX Roc should be straight to turning. A fresh KC Pro 180 can handle headwinds fine at your distance and hyzers. Even more stable you could look at a Pinnacle Ghost. Basic same feel as a Roc.

I say stick with Rocs and just find ones that suit you. :D

Learned to trust the Stingray for a left-to-right disc that will not "go-roller" or "turn-and-burn" on me. Don't know what I would do without it.

I throw a lot in my yard. I have found that the Stingray has that ability to go right, but never cuts into a roller. My Underworld does that, I throw I nice anny and that thing rolls 20ft back away from the basket. A lot of discs either fight out of it too much or cut into a roller. The Stingrays land flat and hold a sweet line.

Latest posts