• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I hate unsanctioned tournament players....

I still don't know why someone would be willing to pay money to play a tourney sanctioned or not when the rules won't be enforced.

Because they don't care. Lots of people who play these tournaments treat them as an outdoor party and the "event" is of no real consequence. You grab the brews, I'll bring the bowl and lets see if we can get Steve to play! Woo-hoo!

I stopped playing ball golf tournaments like this because it was just an all day party that became more annoying as the day wore on.

If you take the game seriously, than skip these tournaments. If you want to have fun with your buddies and throw discs, then have at it. I'm quite sure there will be crossovers from both camps. There's room for everybody.

who is ready to start "non-standardized disc throwing game course review"

cause its clear that i dont play very much disc golf. not only do i not add a stroke when i throw ob, i dont even keep my score

It is strange, as I am kind of on both sides of the issue. I like that DG is laid back and casual in general, but with no rules, you are just throwing discs in the woods, not disc golfing...

The only explanation is that disc golf has a double meaning. There is disc golf the sport and disc golf the game. If no rules are set, then you are playing disc golf the game.

If a tournament is unsanctioned, it should be made clear that the general rules of Dg need to be adhered to. You can even post a link to the pdga website rules for any questions. Not because the pdga has created these rules but because it is "the" standard set of rules that can be applied to everyone. That doesn't mean the competition manual has to be followed. Just the general rules.

If all of that is not stated, you can act however you want during the tournament. If they call you out, ask them to point you to a place that the rules say I can't do what I'm doing. Like twirling my dingus in a circular pattern, making helicopter noises, and standing on top of the basket while you are putting.

Since the OP hates unsanctioned tournament players, and he played in an unsanctioned tournament, does that mean he hates himself?

No, I'm afraid they are the rules of "disc golf". Anyone unfamiliar with disc golf (say new players or curious media) asks where the rules can be found, the PDGA site is just one place to find them. Those exact same rules are on the WFDF (World Flying Disc Federation) site. You visit the WFDF site and you'll simply find the rules of disc golf. WFDF just copies the rules of "disc golf" they see on the PDGA site whenever they are updated. Resistance is futile. ;)

They're the rules for PDGA and WFDF events, yes. That's not to say that folks can't play using other rules at any time and that tournaments can't use other rules at any time. Your claim is akin to saying the NFL rules are the rules of football. They're not. The NCAA has its own set of rules, as do high school associations, the CFL, and so on.

If you are not playing by PDGA rules, what you are playing is Frolf.

They're the rules for PDGA and WFDF events, yes. That's not to say that folks can't play using other rules at any time and that tournaments can't use other rules at any time. Your claim is akin to saying the NFL rules are the rules of football. They're not. The NCAA has its own set of rules, as do high school associations, the CFL, and so on.

Are there other published rules for Disc Golf? It's not like we have separate sanctioning bodies, which is what you have going on with the other sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc) we're trying to compare our situation to.

Are there other published rules for Disc Golf? It's not like we have separate sanctioning bodies, which is what you have going on with the other sports (football, basketball, baseball, etc) we're trying to compare our situation to.

Yes we do, which is exactly why this thread happened. All over the country tournament directors are sanctioning their own tournaments and not associating with the pdga.

But every one of their events specifies their tweaks to the rules in reference to the official rules located on the PDGA site. They don't publish a complete set of modified rules. All of their rule tweaks should be stated in reference to how they are different from the actual rules. For example, any time a situation pops up during the round that wasn't clarified in the player meeting, does the TD make something up on the spot or look up the rule in the rule book?

Pshhh... I told myself I wouldn't get involved in this mind numbing argument...

The largest unsanctioned "sanctioning" body that exists (that I know of) is Southern Nationals, and even they say "a Southern National Disc Golf sanctioned event is governed by the Professional Disc Golf Association Rules of Play"

Every "unsanctioned" tournament has to follow the rules of "disc golf" I know of no other written rules to follow written by any other "unsanctioning" body...

except maybe frolf.com

Pshhh... I told myself I wouldn't get involved in this mind numbing argument...

The largest unsanctioned "sanctioning" body that exists (that I know of) is Southern Nationals, and even they say "a Southern National Disc Golf sanctioned event is governed by the Professional Disc Golf Association Rules of Play"

Every "unsanctioned" tournament has to follow the rules of "disc golf" I know of no other written rules to follow written by any other "unsanctioning" body...

except maybe frolf.com

Yo dude.... you just settled this once and for all of them.:|:(:thmbup:

To say that a private organization as incompetent and inconsequential as the pdga owns the sport of disc golf is insane. Just because they purport to be the official rule makers and others reference them as such does not make them so.

To say that a private organization as incompetent and inconsequential as the pdga owns the sport of disc golf is insane. Just because they purport to be the official rule makers and others reference them as such does not make them so.

So who is?

You're Not Wrong, Walter...

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a **** about the rules?

Unfortunately, not everyone plays for the same reasons, and obviously some people prefer to do as they please in any context, let alone in a kind of silly pseudo-sport. I love disc golf, play as much as possible, and would play full Tournament rules every time out if it were up to me. But I'll play whenever and however just for love of the game. And I'd rather play with someone fun and loose with the rules than someone freaking out over bad throws, rules infractions and bad scores. However, displaying even basic etiquette goes a long way towards resolving any issues with rules.

they do a pretty good job coming up with the rules though that we can mostly agree on as useful. There is little chance to get 100% agreement on anything really... but there seems to be a majority in favor of the rules in general as put forward by the PDGA...

as a TD of an unsanctioned event there is the starting point of the PDGA rules... from there you could just make the changes you'd want...

To expound on Mashnut's question, who else has published an easily accessible set of rules not based off of the PDGA's model?

What we've got, in some unsanctioned tournaments, league play, and lots of casual play, is a sort of Common Law disc golf. Generally the people involved have an idea which PDGA rules are applied, which are ignored, and which alternative rules are accepted.

It's not that each player can do whatever they want. It's that they have a casual understanding of what's allowed, and what's not. Wander in from the world of sanctioned tournaments, and you're likely to be where the O.P. is---disgruntled.

Yes, it's all based on PDGA rules, sometimes very loosely based. To say they're not playing disc golf is silly.

Latest posts