• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I played* Idlewild (the course, not the tournament)

seedlings

* Ace Member *
*Mostly played. It had been raining the last few days and I thought I wasn't going to play, but made it out there late this afternoon. League was going and didn't look like much partipation?

I shouldn't have selected the 24 hole layout, because I got called back to the hotel with 7 holes to play.

I scored par on holes 1-9, which are much easier than those that followed. I birdied 15 and double-bogeyed 16 and 17. Ouch. Then had to trek back to the parking lot.

Great experience to remember pros throwing from similar lies!

*Mostly played. It had been raining the last few days and I thought I wasn't going to play, but made it out there late this afternoon. League was going and didn't look like much partipation?

I shouldn't have selected the 24 hole layout, because I got called back to the hotel with 7 holes to play.

I scored par on holes 1-9, which are much easier than those that followed. I birdied 15 and double-bogeyed 16 and 17. Ouch. Then had to trek back to the parking lot.

That was club Wed night traveling handicap league. Last week of this session was at Idlewild. Sisyphus & I were out there. That league has 20 people and some skipped because of weather.

That was the emptiest I've seen the course in years, I guess because of the thunderstorm forecast. Turned out pretty nice so you got a perfect day for it.

Are you going to get to finish? The end of the course is the hardest part. If so you should replay the entire thing so you are exhausted when you get to the end holes so you get the genuine Idlewild experience. Ha ha

That's all the time I could give due to the storms. I know I missed a few iconic holes Les though! My score would have gone much higher.

I tried to get some of my friends to drive up to Kentucky with me last June, (2021) specifically to play Idlewild. I've seen so many tournaments on YouTube, at that course, that I felt I knew the course (at least the Tournament Layout). No one would go, so I went solo.

Idlewild was even better than I had heard and seen. I played on a weekday, so the course was not overly crowded. I have a noodle arm (300' max) so I played short tees to short baskets. I played the entire course and finished +9, which I was most happy with. Stepping up to tee boxes that I had only previously seen on video, was quite exciting. I already knew how to approach the holes from all the tournament footage I had watched. (I even got a couple of birdies along the way.) Some of the holes that don't make the tournament layout were pretty exciting also. Overall, a fantastic experience, and one less thing on my Bucket List.

Got to bag Mt. Airy, Osage Grove, County Farm (Indiana), and Stonelick also. I had my sites on Boones Woods but got rained out the last day of my trip. Maybe next time.

For all those that have Idlewild on their wishlist, stop procrastinating and go play it. You will not regret it, even if you throw horribly. Just playing a legendary course is worth it, regardless of your score.

Last edited:

Congrats on surviving Idlewild.

Congrats on surviving Idlewild.

I was knee deep in the creek looking for a disc. Twice. I don't recommend second throws. Both Player 1 and player 2 throw into trees and the creek. I didn't slip on any tee pads but the mud is almost as dangerously slick as Drew Gibson claimed in his Instagram rant. Unlike AB and Hailey King, I did survive.

Latest posts