• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Texasissouth bag

texasissouth

Double Eagle Member
I figured I'd make a new thread since I've bumped up to MA1/MPO instead of just middling MA2. I've actually gotten I think 7 or 9 second place finishes in MA1 over the last 3 years and one first haha.
I'm now 31, mid to low athleticism, been dealing with Lyme and some other TBIs for the past 3 years, hiked the AT last summer, just finished my first bulk up to 200# while lifting and now I'm working on cutting back down.
Just moved to Richmond, so I've been busy and not had a lot of time to play after WVO, and that's my life update for anyone who cares haha. Luckily I'm within a mile from Gillies Creek so I'm hoping I can sneak in quite a few rounds there in the future

I was up in NoVa doing some things this weekend and played Clarks with some friends.
Color Glow Destroyer
megaflippy Raider
FX-2
Trident
F2
F3
2x Gazelle
2x Comet
M2
2x PA3
1 400 PA3
3 putting PA3
A5
Stego

shot an underwhelming +1, we played 4 long, rest shorts. I had two double bogeys (5 and 8), one bogey (3) and 4 birdies (6, 16, 17, 18) . I took the over the creek line on 17 and had a change for a 80-90' throw in through a very tight window but couldn't make the magic happen. Got pin high on 18 for the first time, which was cool.

Had my friend Thomas swing by and we played Waller Mill (mostly longs) and New Quarter (L2S F9 L2L B9) in anticipation of fall colors this year. The tee pads at Waller Mill from the longs were horrible, old carpet that had gotten as slick as ice in certain spots.
Shot a 78, so plenty of room for improvement there. Then played New Quarter and enjoyed it a lot more - better upkept, a lot of fun shots. Shot a 64 there.
Halo Boss
Colorglow Destroyer
400 D1
Lucid Raider
400 FX-2
Moonshine Trident
400 F1
400 F2
400 F3
KC Pro Gazelle
2x ESP/Z Comet
Pearl Nautilus
Plasma Envy
2x 400/300 PA4 (Left my favorite 750 PA4 at Waller Mill somewhere, I don't even remember throwing it though - hope I get a call back or something)
A5
Stego
3x PA3

Dubs/glow at Gillies, shot -9 and lost a ctp to win our teams $5 back
Threw
FX-2
KC Gazelle
Comet
Nautilus
A5
PA-3
2x PA4
putting with PA3s

Wait, what? I want to hear about the AT hiking experience.

Wait, what? I want to hear about the AT hiking experience.
I thru hiked the AT last summer into fall! My most enjoyable summer/extended experience since getting summer breaks back in college. Met some really amazing people that I miss, enjoyed beautiful scenery, walked a lot. I started in April, got a stress fracture about a month in, and had to take 7 weeks off to heal, got back on trail on fathers day after skipped roughly 1/3rd of the trail. Kept going north and summited Katahdin on Sept. 30, then went south bound to wrap up the section I skipped and finished that part Nov. 27. I even had one of my trail family members join me for two weeks going south after he had done the whole thing.
Overall I rate it 1000/100 and highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys being outside. I'm a firm believer that most anyone can hike the trail - someone blind even did it! It's just the mental aspect that gets to people.

Quick round at Gillies, shot a -5 which felt awful.
FX-2
F3
Glow Gazelle
Alien
2x Comet
2 throwing PA3
2 putting PA3
2 PA4
A5

I keep trying to work new comets in, but the one I've been throwing for 2 years is just magic and there are a lot of growing pains involved haha

Battle of Bedford this weekend was a blast. I had a bad opinion of New London when I first played it like 5 years ago, but coming in with a very conservative game plan and trying to play to better than +10 made me look at the course in a different light and I really enjoyed it. I only did tee shots I was comfortable with, never went aggressive all weekend. Had some weird tricep/rotator cuff issues day 2 where it hurt after pretty much every throw, but a large dose of Ibus on day 3 cleared it up. Next thing I need to clean up is not panicking when I get derailed from my game plan. That was the cause of the 9 on 18 at Ivy hill (I actually even hit a house, and it stayed up on their deck so I had to take a walk of shame up some stairs to pick up my disc) and my 9 hole 5 at NL day 3 (Though the first shot I slipped mid backswing and tried to hold on so it wouldn't be a throw and couldn't and it fluttered OB).
I don't like Ivy Hill, it's not a good course, though I think it might be more fun to watch than some of the other golf courses on tour... maybe.

Halo Star Boss (meathook)
D1
Wraith
D1 (Flippy)
Raider (roller)
2x FX-2
Trident
F1
F2
F3
KC Pro Gazelle
Nautilus
M2
Comet
2x PA4
1 throwing PA3
Envy
A5
3x putting PA3
Stego

I played the flex at Ivy Hill earlier in the week and tend to agree with you. Really, really nice land for a traditional golf course but collectively underwhelming as a dg course. I am nursing a back injury so throwing maybe 250 max which didn't help at all but I went in with the expectation of doing poorly just wanting to see the course. Pretty much no holes stand out in my memory as being particularly well done and some of them were just plain bad for one reason or another. Who on earth thought that throwing across the road on Hole 17 is a good idea? Downhill par 3's are some of the most fun holes in disc golf but how many do you need?

I think the first 3 holes are fine. There are plenty of trees on the course, and the way holes 1-3 use trees actually had be pretty hopeful for the course design overall, but that was not a consistent theme.

The insistence on every downhill par 3 being an island about 40' deep with a drop zone is monotonous. I don't think I made a single island and if I hadn't blown up on 18 I could have shot close to 1000 rated, which shouldn't happen; ironically hole 18 is actually well designed, I like it. Hole 5 (uphill par 4) has a tree in front of the pin forcing you to go one way or another, which is good; but the tree itself and a circle around it is OB? Just a weird decision overall. Hole 14 no one birdied and the pin position is probably the worse I've ever seen on a course. I honestly am shocked 13 people birdied 17, though I think that's an ok worlds hole, throwing over an active road is crazy. I had to actually wait for a car to pass to throw my shot. Maybe they close that road during worlds but still.

I'd say overall the course is designed just to punish players rated between 950 and 1000 who can throw 500'. Taylor Brooks shot 989 and he claimed he just did 300' chip shots all day.

I don't like Ivy Hill, it's not a good course, though I think it might be more fun to watch than some of the other golf courses on tour... maybe.

I played the flex at Ivy Hill earlier in the week and tend to agree with you. Really, really nice land for a traditional golf course but collectively underwhelming as a dg course.

This is such a shame, even more so with so many other outstanding courses in the area.

We had to wait for cars on 17 as well. One of our guys did get the birdie. They can't possibly expect to close that road- it is the only way in and out of that neighborhood.

I got my only birdie of the day on 4. One of the guys in my group threw into the tree in the middle of 5 not once but twice. I thought 1 and 3 were fine but the really good players are going to eat up number 2 like it is nothing- stock hyzer. 15 was also good. 14 made no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure there is a lot of potential for scoring separation on 18 for the really good players.

Most interesting shot of the day by far was one of my cardmates drive on 8 which landed, cut rolled left about 150 feet and then stood up fully and rolled all the way back into the pond on 7. It probably rolled around 500 feet total.

We had to wait for cars on 17 as well. One of our guys did get the birdie. They can't possibly expect to close that road- it is the only way in and out of that neighborhood.

I got my only birdie of the day on 4. One of the guys in my group threw into the tree in the middle of 5 not once but twice. I thought 1 and 3 were fine but the really good players are going to eat up number 2 like it is nothing- stock hyzer. 15 was also good. 14 made no sense whatsoever. I'm not sure there is a lot of potential for scoring separation on 18 for the really good players.

Most interesting shot of the day by far was one of my cardmates drive on 8 which landed, cut rolled left about 150 feet and then stood up fully and rolled all the way back into the pond on 7. It probably rolled around 500 feet total.

Yeah that's crazy to throw across it. I think 2 will score harder than expected, yes it's a stock hyzer, but the OB is very very tight near the basket, and if you hit the cart path on your shot it's out. Also the tree on the tee got half my card.
I got a bird on 3, immediately was super short on 4.

That's a crazy shot on 8, I imagine he just re-teed? 7 is a weird hole, I didn't even come close to landing it, but the majority of top players are just gonna be forehand hyzer right there pretty easy.

On 8 he played from where it went OB which was roughly 200 feet off the tee on the left. I think the Tour players will shred 7.

On 8 he played from where it went OB which was roughly 200 feet off the tee on the left. I think the Tour players will shred 7.
That makes sense, starting to the left is a huge advantage there.
Have you played New London? I'm curious what you think of it.

That makes sense, starting to the left is a huge advantage there.
Have you played New London? I'm curious what you think of it.
I have played New London once. I think it does a good job of achieving what I believe to have been their goal which is being difficult for really good players. I think it is a test of their mental discipline more than anything else. If you aren't trying to bite off too much it isn't really all that difficult- the fairways are generally huge. When you have a perceived need to "score" on the course though it gets waaaay harder, bringing all that OB into play. (I personally don't throw far enough to get into a lot of trouble at New London.)

I have no real issue with any of the individual holes other than 13(?- might be wrong on the number- the one after the "easy" little hyzer shot- it goes from out of the woods into the woods and then in theory splits into 2 fairways although neither of them is particularly friendly. I think over time the "real" fairway will get beat down through the middle.)

I have played New London once. I think it does a good job of achieving what I believe to have been their goal which is being difficult for really good players. I think it is a test of their mental discipline more than anything else. If you aren't trying to bite off too much it isn't really all that difficult- the fairways are generally huge. When you have a perceived need to "score" on the course though it gets waaaay harder, bringing all that OB into play. (I personally don't throw far enough to get into a lot of trouble at New London.)

I have no real issue with any of the individual holes other than 13(?- might be wrong on the number- the one after the "easy" little hyzer shot- it goes from out of the woods into the woods and then in theory splits into 2 fairways although neither of them is particularly friendly. I think over time the "real" fairway will get beat down through the middle.)
That is what I thought as well. I was rewatching 2021 Bedford and was surprised some of choices players were making on Hole 6. 13 is pretty weird, and generally punishing even if you make the initial gap, which is interesting when I'd say the goal of the hole in general is to reward you for hitting that gap

Couple of rounds at Gillies to see if my shoulder/tricep/whatever still hurt like this weekend. Hurt on the first two backhand shots then went away. Weird, no clue what to expect at Fall Colors this weekend. shot -3/-7 One round finally felt good, was on pace for -8 but took a weird kick OB in the road on 18.
FX-2
F2
Glow Gazelle
Nautilus
2x Comet
Fission Envy
throwing PA3
PA4
A5
2x Putting PA3

Putting streak wasn't AS great, but still pretty good, though 2 rounds I missed 3 c1x and hit 3 c2 with a lot of metal hits from C2. The new Fission Envy is niiiice, less overstable than the prism plasma one I had added to my bag this year. Still on a mission to beat up a new premium Gazelle. It's getting too cold out for the KC Pros, which may be an issue this weekend. Nautilus got 0 throws because I didn't need an OS mid... though maybe Hole 4 is worth a try