• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Off-Season Bag Revamp. Feedback welcomed.

Nice thread! The most overstable Pd is the 13th run. If you have trouble identifying them, all of the 10 year anniversary freak stamp Pds are from that run.
Thanks!
I'm hearing the newest run of C- line are pretty stable as well, might give those a shot, but it sounds like they might be domey, for the most part? We'll see. I definitely prefer mine on the flatter side. I've also got some more stable PDs in my current collection, including 2 fresh DM2s and 3 LH2s that would probably fill the slot too.

Played my first tournament ever, recently. Played MPO, only because it was at my home course and unsanctioned. I took 4th place and shot -3 in the first round and -4 in the second round. Really happy with how I played overall. Definitely left some puts out on the course (Missed 2 birdie puts from inside 20ft....oof). I smashed an ace on the CTP hole which was absolutely insane (with my justice again lol). Added an Electron soft Proxy to the lineup, because my Electron Soft Envy REFUSES to get flippy. But I really enjoyed the disc, it flies like a slower Origin.

Bag is feeling pretty solid right now. Distance drivers are still the biggest questionmark.. Enjoying the Fission Photons/Defy, but I don't love them for power forehands, Still bag my Rive in that slot (But I lost my seasoned First Run Rive...and I'm pretty heart broken about it) My Hades is silly beat up and almost unusable at this point, might be retiring it soon. I'm testing a Fission Wave in the flippy driver slot, but might go back to the Grace again since I don't have any Drivers that I can reliably hyzer flip...but I rarely throw anything faster than the PD anymore. I did add a LH2 PD since both of my Color Glow PDs were a bit too similar in stability anymore, the LH2 gives me a nice beefy option. Put the Berg back in the bag... there are too many scary approaches and greens in my area, and nothing sits down like a berg.

Current Bag:

Putters--
2x Penrose (OG Firm)
2x Zone (1 Crystal FLX, and 1 Jawbreaker)
2x Envy (1 Electron Soft, 1 Eclipse 2.0
1x Proxy (cosmic electron soft)
1x Berg (k1 soft)

Mids---
2x Origin (1x Neo, 1x Meta)
2x MD3. (1x IS3, 1x Cline)
1x Justice

Fairways:
1x Relay (neutron)
1x Crave (neutron)
2x Felon (1 BioFuzion, 1 FuzionX)

Control--
2x PD (DM1, LH2)
1x CD2 (cline)

Distance---
1x Wave (Fission)
2x Photon/Defy (Fission)
1x Rive

24 discs-- Could probably simplify in certain areas.. But as it is, I feel confident going to any course any having all my shots covered. there's probably some overlap in my putter line-up, the Berg is very much a utility disc. Glow Envy flies very similar to my MD3s...and my MD3s have very similar stability anymore; IS3 is beating up quick, but still has a little more bite at the end of the flight. I'm hoping my older MD3 starts to get flippy, or I'm able to track down a beat up S-Line that's flippy, once that happens, I'll go down to just the one Origin. Just gotta keep throwing.

Shot my best round ever at Caliber this weekend, -4. Was -7 going into 18, and absolutely imploded on the last hole and took a triple -_- ... only bogeys were on the first and last holes; super proud of how I played. 8 Birds on that course is no joke. PDs, Envy and the Crave were the MVPs out there. The more stable PD (LH2) really gave me the extra bite I was looking for and compliments my beat up DM1 beautifully. Went back to the Grace/Rive combo for my max distance drivers. Beat up Grace replaces my Hades perfectly, and my newer Grace is definitely the farthest flying disc I have. Was able to grab an S-Line MD3 from a buddy that has a little bit of flip and just a touch of fade. Really getting to know and feeling confident in my bag right now. A more stable 6/7 speed might be the biggest gap in my bag. A new Crave (or maybe a servo) could fill that slot, but it's not a shot I find myself needing often.

Putters--
2x Penrose (OG Firm)
2x Zone (1 Crystal FLX, and 1 Jawbreaker)
2x Envy (1 Electron Soft, 1 Eclipse 2.0)
1x Proxy (cosmic electron soft)
1x Berg (k1 soft)

Mids---
1x Origin (1x Meta)
2x MD3. (1x IS3, 1x Cline)
1x Justice

Fairways:
1x Relay (neutron)
1x Crave (neutron)
2x Felon (1 BioFuzion, 1 FuzionX)

Control--
2x PD (DM1, LH2)
1x CD2 (cline)

Distance---
2x Grace
1x Rive

Played in the "Let Freedom Ring" tournament at Caliber this last weekend, played MA1 and WON... Holy crap. Took 1st place...Felt incredible, still processing honestly. It was a smaller event, and unsanctioned, so I still don't have a rating... but 2 rounds at Caliber is no joke.
Most valuable discs this weekend were my Dark Maul 1 PD, Midnight Prowl Origin (quickly becoming my favorite disc), the Justice and the Proxy. Honorable mention goes to my IS3 MD3, I don't think I had one bad shot with it. Proxy and Justice were money for my approaches, always put me close to the basket. The Origin I threw all day. I'm so comfortable with that disc right now, I'm absolutely terrified of losing it. Same goes for the Dark Maul 1. My cardmates were throwing big flex shots with 12-14 speed discs, and I wasn't losing any ground to them throwing my PD on a frozen rope down tight fairways, and in a lot of cases, being in better position, cause I was putting it right where I wanted it all day; not saying I'm a beastly thrower, my cardmates on saturday could probably out throw me in an open field, I think it just speaks volumes to what the PD is capable of and the control it gives.
My putt has been feeling weird lately... my staggered stance putt is a mess. So the morning of the tournament I decided I would ONLY straddle putt...and boy did it pay off. I can only think of 2 putts inside C1 that I really should have made, which is huge for me, outside of those, I was dialed.

Possible bag change ups-- Considering trying a premium plastic Proxy and dropping the Envy... recently I think I'm noticing the glow envy is a weird middle man between my Zone and the MD3 and I would rather just throw the Zone or MD3... and I want more stable/understable options beyond my Origin and super flippy electron Proxy. I still love my Electron soft Envy, I just really wish I had a flippy one, cause lately, that's the shot I need. Been LOVING the soft backhand turnovers. Discs I find myself rarely throwing right now: Felon, Crave, and Distance drivers in general. I did put a new C Line DD3 in the bag to test-- threw it on 1 hole, and man... I was a fan. Only threw it because there was a headwind, and I needed to finish left. it did exactly that. More testing to come.

Some bag updates --

The new C line DD3 has been awesome; stable, reliable, but not unusably beefy. It's getting more use than the Rive currently. Really excited to try out the new Cloudbreaker here soon. The Grace is still my hyzer flip, understable driver, but it's getting used less and less this year.

I picked up a couple old, beat up CG FD3s and damn... they're beautiful... they have the high speed flip I wanted to see out of my BioFuzion Felons and I seriously underestimated how nice it is to have (basically) the same exact hand-feel as my PDs. I find myself reaching for these on the course far more often than I ever did with my Felons.... The new MF C-line FD3s fly awesome and feel great. So i put the MF and CG in the bag.

I'm back to throwing the Praxis... I still love the Envy, but the Premium plastic Envy's flew too similar to my MD3s, and honestly, just went TOO far. The Aura Praxis I can trust off the tee for nice straight, stable shots, and it feels VERY similar to my Electron Soft, super flippy Proxy; In my hand they're the same mold.

Also added a TSA Temple to the Bag and it's an awesome "Zone Clone". the Nerve plastic is super tacky and gummy, for those 'hit and stick' shots where my CrystlFLX Zone might skip.

I've been trusting my fairway drivers a bit more lately. I put my stupid Stable relay in the bag alongside my Crave and flippy relay. The new relay flies more like a Servo than a relay and fills that 'straight to slightly stable' slot in my bag, and both relays are awesome roller/ get out of jail, scramble disc. been loving the relay for stand still forehands.

Tied my PR at Caliber last night- shooting -4 with only 1 bogey. My putting has been the strongest part of my game recently, which is something I thought I would never say. Tweaking my backhand form, so getting off the tee has been a bit inconsistent as of late, but the form tweaks I've made have added some solid distance to my drives. Forehand tee shots and upshots need some serious work.

Played in my first sanctioned event this last weekend. Played MA1 for the Farragut open and took 12th place (of 70). averaged a rating of 949 through 3 rounds on different courses, and feel really good about how I played. Definitely left a lot on the table, I played SUPER conservative all 3 days. Most Valuable Discs of the weekend: Photon, Wave, Dark Maul 1 PD (my baby), Fission Crave, and the Zone. I threw my MD3 like GARBAGE on the first day... I teed off with it 3 times on day 1, and it resulted in a bogey every time (user error for sure.. but I had no confidence in it)... It was on timeout for the rest of the weekend, until hole 17 of the final round. I think the MD3 will be replaced shortly. I found a couple of used MVP Matrix in a used bin at the tournament and they feel and fly EXACTLY how I want my MD3 to fly (slight flip to flat, soft fade at the end) and are a bit shallower than the MD3. Also going to test the Reactor in that slot.
The Photon was a last minute addition on day 2.. day 2 was a bomber course, that has some really swirly winds.. so I needed something between the Wave and DD3, and it was exactly that. Love how similar the Photon and Wave feel. I ended up throwing the photon more than my DD3 on the weekend. The Wave was money... It has officially replaced the Grace in my bag. The availability and multitude of plastics has officially won me over, but the key was its low speed stability.

Overall very happy with my play. I achieved every goal I had set for myself (shoot over 900 every round. Finish the tourney under par, finish in the top 20). Feels good to finally have a rating.

Threw the MVP reactor and Matrix today... man. The mD3 is GONE! These discs are awesome. The matrix has some awesome high speed turn with a subtle fade. just what I was looking for on a lot of the woods courses out here. The lighter weight one flips quite a bit. And might overlap with the origin a touch, but the lack of glide on the Matrix makes it a bit more controllable. It definitely has more low speed stability. The reactor (eclipse) flies just like my MD3, nice and stable, but with a better hand feel. Plus, I can flick both of these discs. I hated the MD3 for my forehand. The reactor flew beautifully on forehand. Might have to grab a Fission one and test that

My putting has been been strong lately, but there's always room for improvement. Tweaking my grip to try and get more consistent spin/release, and doing so made me wish the Penrose was a touch shallower. My other gripe with the penrose is that I ONLY use it for putting. Would be nice to throw a disc I putt with to, again, help simplify my bag. I used to putt with the Discmania Link, and I think i'll give that a go for a while. Bonus is I LOVED throwing the Link. Threw and putted with the old Soft Link I had laying around today. It was money off the tee and my putting was still solid (definitely need more practice with it), but it was much more comfortable in my grip than the Penrose. Grabbed a premium plastic Link to test out as a thrower.

Another bag tweak has been swapping the Zone for the Prodigy A5. picked up the A5 to compliment the Zone, originally (supposedly 3/3/-1/1). Turns out, a fresh A5 flies almost exactly like a zone lol and they feel exactly the same in hand... The 500 Spectrum A5 flies just like my seasoned 'Get Freaky' and the 300 I picked up is quickly beating into a straight flier, but was incredible stable out of the gate. Zone is out, A5 is in for now. Unfortunately, I think that means the Praxis is out as well. I think all my Putter shots will be covered by the Link and A5. Might also try the PA3, cause I enjoy the beveled edge/bead, and Prodigy base plastic is money

Links are great putters! I used them in place of Wizards for a while but switched back mainly because I didn't really like the exo plastic

Links are great putters! I used them in place of Wizards for a while but switched back mainly because I didn't really like the exo plastic

That's kinda why I want to test out the PA3. Prodigy base plastic is amazing, and similar to EV-7 plastic. Plus, the new 400/500 plastic is incredible. I'm still in awe of how good the 500 spectrum A5 I got feels (and it looks gorgeous). But I was able to snag a Neo and a LUX Link from the Discmania site.. and I'm REALLY excited about that disc in those plastics..

I liked the Pa-3 a lot too, probably can't go wrong either way. I actually bag Invaders anymore simply bc I'm a tightwad and you can get them pretty cheap as F2s

In an unexpected twist- the Kastaplast RekoX is now in the battle for my putting putter. Love the way it feels. Isn't TOO stable, and the plastic feels great. Gunna test these for the next few months.
Also- I grabbed an MVP glitch on a whim and maaaaan. It's not just a meme disc. It's awesome! Surprisingly torque resistant, super glidey. I threw it off the tee pad a ton, at its kind of an awesome throwing putter/approach disc. Highly recommend trying it out. It's made my bag

Winter sucks.
Since I'm bored and in the mood to self sabotage, I've pulled apart my entire bag and seeing how I can simplify it

Putters and approach discs stay the same.... but Almost everything else would change.
Big changes would be in the Mids and fairways/control drivers. Mids would be the new Mana from Thoughspace, and the Pathfinder. Mana feels great, and it compliments the pathfinder beautifully, with similar hand feel. Ethos pathfinder flies really straight while the Aura has some nice beef. These 3 discs cover every shot. I'll see how I like em for a while.

Fairways would be Crave (same) Felon and TSA Construct, replacing the FD3/CD2/PD combo... this would hurt.. but the construct does what the PD and CD2 do for me in 1 mold. PD definitely has more torque resistance which I might miss.. but the 175 Ethos Construct still has plenty of stability, while the 166 ethereal gives some nice high speed turn. I also prefer the feel of the construct for forhands over the new, re-tooled, PD mold... even though the Nordic Phenom is an incredible disc. The felon feels almost exactly the same as the construct in hand, and seems like a natural, overstable compliment to the Construct. I've been so invested in the PD this last season.. it's going to hurt to move away. But I think this'll be the line-up I'll test out going into next season. and I'll see if I miss the old lineup.

DD3/Cloudbreaker are staying the same. but I got a vapor enigma from a mystery box, and I might test it in the Wave slot.

Snow is knee deep here in Idaho.. so might be a couple months before I'm able to really test any of this... makes me sad.

Winter sucks.
Since I'm bored and in the mood to self sabotage, I've pulled apart my entire bag and seeing how I can simplify it

Putters and approach discs stay the same.... but Almost everything else would change.
Big changes would be in the Mids and fairways/control drivers. Mids would be the new Mana from Thoughspace, and the Pathfinder. Mana feels great, and it compliments the pathfinder beautifully, with similar hand feel. Ethos pathfinder flies really straight while the Aura has some nice beef. These 3 discs cover every shot. I'll see how I like em for a while.

Mana hopped into my bag last week and has been performing really well for me even though it'll hopefully be overlapping with my beat up Aura Pathfinder in a month or too.

May the snow melt fast in the spring.

Pathfinder is extremely good in that workhorse mid spot. Hope it works for you.

Haven't tried the mana yet myself, have a beat aura pathy, and picked up a base mustang to use for the winter and hope to beat in. But I usually just throw a FH with a fairway instead of US mids.

Pathfinder is extremely good in that workhorse mid spot. Hope it works for you.

Haven't tried the mana yet myself, have a beat aura pathy, and picked up a base mustang to use for the winter and hope to beat in. But I usually just throw a FH with a fairway instead of US mids.

I grabbed a couple Royal Mustangs to try and start cycling. The Royal plastic feels great, super grippy. Snagged a used Ethereal Pathfinder that's pretty beat up as well. Excited to see how it flies. PLH is MUCH lower than my Aura, and even a bit lower than the Ethos. It'll probably slot in as my straight mid with just a touch of turn

In another surprising turn of events- My brother/sister in law got me an MVP putter pod for Christmas.. the putter pod came with 12 Electron soft Nomads. Didn't have the heart to tell them I don't putt with Nomads, BUT figured, screw it, I'll give it a shot. Nomad feels very similar to the Penrose, but flatter and more mellow in flight. After a couple putting sessions.. I actually am really enjoying the Nomad. The glide and straighter flight makes circles edge puts MUCH easier, and I'm able to putt on my natural hyzer angle without having the disc hyzer out early left...
For the winter I'm going to disc back down to the Photon/Wave. While it's cold, I find the smaller rim and fission plastic much easier to handle than the 12 speed rim of the DD3 and enigma.
Another addition/substitution in the bag is the Deflector. My Justice with 2 aces on it is starting to lose the signatures... So I think it's time to retire it. I found a SWEET pearly proton Deflector at a local shop, and it feels/flies just like a beadless justice.

All right. Got my first few rounds in with the new setup and here's my first impressions:

Nomad: great putter. feels good. clean releases. LOTS of glide. Less stable than Penrose or RekoX. I'm noticing fewer misses early left. Concerned about how it'll putt in the wind.

Mana: More stable than I gave it credit for. Definitely more stable than the Origin. But that's not a bad thing. I just have to remember that when choosing a release angle.

Pathfinder/ Royal mustang: Sold. This is my mid moving forward. between the Aura/Glow, ethereal, and the Royal mustang, I get 3 unique flights out of 1 mold. These discs are awesome. I even rung up my first ace of the year with the Royal Mustang (325ft, slight downhill, tunnel shot)

Construct: Loving the Construct. So far I have not missed my PDs. It's a super rangey disc that I can place anywhere from 325 to 380 with confidence. The 166 Ethereal isn't quite as flippy as my beat in CD2, might test an aura construct to get the turn I'm looking for. Ethos are money. Super controllable. Light weight flips to flat and GOES. Max weight is a great over stable compliment that I can trust to hold the release angle. However, I definitely notice less torque resistance on forehands, but my forehand is in a state of disarray at the moment... so.. it might actually be the perfect disc to help me relearn a forehand.

I haven't missed the DD3/Cloudbreaker yet... I found an over stable Photon that I like and I barely even touched my photons when a shot called for big distance. Gunna work with the wave/photons until I'm consistently getting over 450.

Whelp. After a couple months of testing- it's back to the CD2/PD combo for me. The Construct is an awesome disc, but it just couldn't replace what the CD2 and PD did for me and the comfort I've built with the discs. I missed the smaller rim width as well. Much more controllable.

The putter Saga also continues... the nomads were great, but got absolutely BULLIED in the wind. During the windy round I bummed my buddies electron Envy off him, and that worked great. Is it weird to putt with an Envy? Idk. Maybe. But they were coming out clean, and going in. So. I'm rolling with it. Plus, I already have a small stack of em from when i was throwin' 'em. I did miss having an electron envy to approach with.

Another mold I'm really liking is the TSA Omen. Great utility disc. Super reliable on forehand. Big flare skips. More stable than my stable PD. I don't reach for it much. But, it's a great tool to have.

Feeling really good about my bag right now. I think I've got all the shots covered, and I feel comfortable with my shot selection on any course.

I've lost so much distance since I started reworking my form. I'm lucky to sniff 380 right now.. and my forehand... doesn't exist. Probably maxing out around 280? Maybe 300 on a full flex.. but it's wobbly and inconsistent. While I've lost distance, my accuracy is the best it's ever been... so. I'm not TOO mad.. but I've got work to do. I've got 350 dialed, but I'm having a rough time bombing like i used to even just a year an a half ago... Back to the field.

Latest posts