• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Mike C's 2023 Bag

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Just got back into disc golf hard after a bit of a hiatus. Bought a bunch of new plastic to try out and figured I'd document the changes I make to my bag here.

Current setup:

2x Soft Electron Ions - Putts.
2x Soft Neutron Proxies - One beat, one fresh. Upshots and short tee shots.
1x Cosmic Entropy - OS control disc.

1x Neutron Hex - Straight to slight turnover mid
1x Neutron Reactor - Seasoned straight with a mild fade.
1x Eclipse Reactor - Fresh, straight to fade. One of my favorite discs for controlled FH tee shots.

2x Neutron Craves - One is well seasoned, about 10 years of use. Great for hyzer flip to flat shots and long flattened hyzers and gentle turnovers. Second is a fresh x out that flies like a longer Eclipse Reactor.

1x Insanity - Seasoned Proton. Long range turnovers and S curves. Not used often.
2x Wraths - Seasoned Neutron from the first run that still has a nice straight to fade flight, like a longer Volt. Fresh Proton that fades earlier and fights headwinds better. Go to long range disc.
1x Fireball - SE Dragon stamp, seasoned. Still quite OS. Have a few other fresh Fireballs, planning to add a second one, just gotta compare them and decide which one I like best. Have a very OS high PLH Neutron and a brand new flight numbers Neutron I need to compare.

2x Mayhems - Brand new Plasma that's stable, seasoned Neutron with a little more turn. Haven't been throwing these much as I've been discing down to Wraths for longer holes but this is my go to for maximum distance.
1x Dimension - Long range stable to overstable disc. I've got 3 around max weight, two from the first run that fly the same and a new factory second I need to throw. I usually reach for the Mayhem for distance but these are more reliable in a headwind and work better for flex shots.

That's the current line-up.

I tried a Nomad as a putting putter and throwing putter. Nice disc but I like my choices better.

Tried an Ohm. Feels like a less glidey Proxy, easier to range. It's very nice but the Proxy is more versatile IMO, and I have the entropy for low glide shots.

I have a pair of Glitches, a Zenith and Delirium I still need to try out. Curious to see if the Delirium will go any further than the Mayhem for me, and wondering if the Zenith will impress me enough to make the cut?

I was bagging Excites for a bit but dropped them because I'm more consistent with my Mayhems.

I also grabbed a soft neutron Proxy I'm going to play around with. I'd like to beat it in to understable then compare it to the Glitch and see if either would be a good fit in my bag.

Agree about the eclipse Reactor for FH distance, it's taking shots I used to throw a 7 speed on. Gotta disagree about the Ohm though. Proxy is faster and likely longer for guys like you and Simon but the Ohm's middle name is glide.

I'm another MVP convert after watching your Envy/Proxy videos some years ago. Looks like they made some coin off of you, did you get anything besides the "disc golf with your shirt off" stamp?

Bring back the Quasars! We all know you miss them.

Haha, still got this old white one

95zvs6.jpg

When playing around with the MVP family, I personally like their selection of slower fairways. The Crave is a star, but the Resistor, Servo and (slightly faster) Volt are also favorites.

Then again, I don't get much extra distance from fatter rims at my arm speeds (~57mph on a good rip).

Do you just like the 9 speed molds better? Or is that what works best for separation from those long MVP mids?

When playing around with the MVP family, I personally like their selection of slower fairways. The Crave is a star, but the Resistor, Servo and (slightly faster) Volt are also favorites.

Then again, I don't get much extra distance from fatter rims at my arm speeds (~57mph on a good rip).

Do you just like the 9 speed molds better? Or is that what works best for separation from those long MVP mids?

I bagged the Resistor for a long time, it's a really nice mold. I switched to Fireballs because I can stretch them out a bit further but being so OS they're still easy to power down. I also tend to use Axiom discs vs MVP discs all else being equal since they're easier to film than black overmolds.

Servo was fun to throw but too much overlap with the Crave IMO to bag both.

I used Volts for years but switched to the Wrath for better high speed stability / wind fighting ability, a bit more range, and I liked the soft neutron blend they debuted in. Volts power down a bit better and handle laser beam drives better, but Craves can cover those shots for me.

Haven't thrown the Zenith I picked up yet but if it impresses the hell out of me I wonder if it'll shake up my driver selection.

Last edited:
I bagged the Resistor for a long time, it's a really nice mold. I switched to Fireballs because I can stretch them out a bit further but being so OS they're still easy to power down. I also tend to use Axiom discs vs MVP discs all else being equal since they're easier to film than black overmolds.

Servo was fun to throw but too much overlap with the Crave IMO to bag both.

I used Volts for years but switched to the Wrath for better high speed stability / wind fighting ability, a bit more range, and I liked the soft neutron blend they debuted in. Volts power down a bit better and handle laser beam drives better, but Craves can cover those shots for me.

Haven't thrown the Zenith I picked up yet but if it impresses the hell out of me I wonder if it'll shake up my driver selection.

whats the ion line up lookin like pic form

whats the ion line up lookin like pic form

Same old soft electron ions ive been using since they came out.

Trying to find some blank or PFN ones....

I don't mind the flight numbers on drivers etc. but for some reason they don't look right to me on putting putters.

Sweet to se another forum vet excited about golf again. Nothing to say about the bag, seems balanced. Do you find the discs flying the way they used to for you?

Sweet to se another forum vet excited about golf again. Nothing to say about the bag, seems balanced. Do you find the discs flying the way they used to for you?

Pretty much, just a bit less distance. The only disc that doesn't fly quite like I remember is the SE Mayhem. It's pretty flippy. It's useful that way though because I have a beefy new plasma Mayhem. So I have slightly OS, straight and understable covered with the same mold.

I'm getting them out to about 475' backhand, which is pretty close to where I left off. Forehand is a different story, I lost a lot of distsnce there. Need to work on that.

Take it easy, I definitely hurt myself trying to jump back to old form and doing a ton of reps in short time.

Heard that. I try to limit myself to less than 50 distance drives a day.

As much as I want to spend two hours crushing high speed discs in the field I know from experience it'll mess up my throwing hand.

Same discs but new bag:

20230404-155740.jpg

Enjoying it so far. Got two rounds in today and it worked well.

Resistors are back in the bag, fireballs are out. Really happy with how my eclipse resistor flew its first day out.

Plasma Mayhem is going in the bag, paired with a more seasoned neutron. flippy skullboy mayhem is out unless I think I'll need it for a specific course.

A soft envy seems to keep sneaking into my bag.

Dropped the neutron reactor in favor of my old beat up eclipse axis. figure that gives me more variety in my mid line-up, and I prefer eclipse reactors anyways.

Felt good throwing a few courses today. First day I really felt back to 100%.

Some changes:

Dimension out. Too fast and overstable for my current power level.

Nitro is in the bag in its place. Fast and overstable while still having glide.

Testing out the Zone OS vs Entropy. Zone OS is definitely more overstable, but may or may not make the bag.

Resistors are never leaving the bag again. I use mine so much more than my fireballs.

I recently bought an Uplink but have not thrown it yet. My beat red eclipse axis was my understable mid of choice, but relying on a discontinued mold is dumb, so I grabbed an uplink to try.

Decided to roll with just the Proxy and Entropy for throwing putters for now. My new eclipse Proxy is pretty beefy when it comes to HSS, so the Envy isn't needed.

Also dropping the Hex for now. 99% sure I'll rebag it at some point, but for now it's too close to my most beat eclipse reactor. So my current mid line-up is a Pyro, two eclipse Reactors, and one Uplink.

Part of me wants to start driving Ions again. Every time I do they work so well off the tee or for an approach. I think I could go Ion / Entropy for my putter molds and do just as good. But the Proxy feels so magical at times, I don't feel 100% about it leaving the bag. Ever.

Playing around with teleports for max D. Looking like I'll end up tossing one in the bag for longer courses - seems to be an easy 25' over my mayhems.

----------------------

I'll be shooting a 1 month later video eventually, discussing the changes I've made since getting back into dg.

Line up has settled. Everything is within 3 grams of max weight.

----------------------------------
2x Soft Electron Ions - putts only

Soft Neutron Proxy - beat
Soft Eclipse Proxy - fresh, beefy for a Proxy
Eclipse Proxy - fresh, beefy for a Proxy. Better for rolling than the softs if you're wondering
Cosmic Neutron Entropy - fresh and OS

Neutron Hex - Seasoned, turns more easily than my fresh
Soft Neutron Hex - fresh, stable
Eclipse Reactor - Broken in, slots perfectly between the fresh Hex and Pyro. Favorite mid, easily
Prism Pyro - Fresh. Dependable, overstable, but has some glide. I like it better than OS mids I've tried in the past (Deflector, Tensor, Drone, Gator, etc.)
---------------------------------

Neutron Crave - beat. Same blue core white rimmed one I've thrown since they came out. Favorite control driver I've ever thrown. Can shape any sort of line from hyzers to turnovers, fh or bh.
Neutron Crave - fresh. High PLH x-out. Broken in teebird style flight.....no turn in calm conditions.
Eclipse Resistor - fresh. Very happy to be bagging these again. More glide / control VS Fireballs.

Insanity. Sometimes a proton, sometimes a Neutron. I never throw it so it doesn't matter tbh. Still, it's nice having in the bag for when I need a long turnover in the woods.
Neutron Wrath - beat. Still a reliably overstable finish with nice glide. By far my favorite FH distance disc. Doesn't go as far as my Mayhem but its easier on my arm and offers more control.

Neutron Mayhem - Beat, skullboy stamp. Reliably flippy bh, good glide and a tight, smooth s FH. Good for forehand distance and tailwind backhand bombs.
Neutron Mayhem - seasoned solid red. My favorite distance driver. First disc I hit 500' with when I started back up. Excellent combo of distance and control.
Plasma Mayhem - Beefy for a Mayhem. Rare to see turn out of it even thrown 450' backhand. Perfect compliment to my typical Mayhems.
Neutron Nitro - Pleasantly surprised with the glide it shows for being another step more overstable than the plasma mayhem. Pretty domey, maybe that's why. Rarely thrown but nice for strong winds. Good control in all conditions.

That's my full setup. Feeling very locked in.

I remove discs as needed depending on the course, e.g. my home course only has one hole I'd consider throwing something faster than a Crave, so I drop all drivers except a Crave and Resistor.

Only changes I see possibly coming....

Switching to an Axiom Tempo if I like the feel and flight more than the Entropy, which I suspect I will.

Maybe after some more field work I'll add a Teleport for max D. They definitely go far, but it's so rare I find a hole where I want to trade a little control for a little distance when Mayhems reliably go 450-500' for me.

I did end up playing some Ion only rounds for fun, using the same Ions I used for that "Arborrtum Ions" putter round video from 2009 or whenever. It was a lot of fun and they flew great. But I'm too happy with the Proxy to consider ditching it.

Uplink fills MVP's understable mid slot nicely but with how much I flick, and having traded for a beat up Hex, it isn't going to make the bag. My style just doesn't depend on turnovers within 350' hardly ever with how many lines I can shape forehand in that range.

I've recently gotten back into the game and of course, the funnest part about that is buying a bunch of new discs to try out. I have to say, I'm very very impressed with the Reactor (EK Tour Eclipse) as a forehand mid. Instantly better than my old Verdicts which I always felt were unreliable and much more workable than the Legacy Pursuit which is a great beefy mid but kind of chunky and clunky. The Reactor has been a pleasant surprise and at this point pairs super well with a Hex which is also new for me. Hex has been blowing my mind for it's Warship like distance and sleek driver like feel in the hand but without the side to side movement of a fairway driver. This is good stuff.

I've recently gotten back into the game and of course, the funnest part about that is buying a bunch of new discs to try out. I have to say, I'm very very impressed with the Reactor (EK Tour Eclipse) as a forehand mid. Instantly better than my old Verdicts which I always felt were unreliable and much more workable than the Legacy Pursuit which is a great beefy mid but kind of chunky and clunky. The Reactor has been a pleasant surprise and at this point pairs super well with a Hex which is also new for me. Hex has been blowing my mind for it's Warship like distance and sleek driver like feel in the hand but without the side to side movement of a fairway driver. This is good stuff.
I'm extremely happy with my eclipse reactor and hex combo. Flatter, sleeker and more comfortable versions of the axis / vector combo I used to throw, that fly just as well if not a bit better for me.

I found a Time Lapse today with no number, so it's going into the bag to compare against my Mayhems.

20240215-130815.jpg