• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] ID a disc or ask "What is the story on this disc...?" - Take II

Did you call the owner and ask?

...unless YOUR name is Colby N.

...sorry...couldn't help myself. :(

Identify This Champion Beast Barry Schultz 2003 PDGA World Champion

Hello! I am trying to determine if another of these discs is available to purchase and have been unable to locate another with the exact same stamp, so I do not know for sure what it is, to know if it is replaceable. All the other 2003 Barry Schultz Champion Beasts I have seen for sale are 2x models and the stamp is different (his signature is above the Champion Beast line in others, on this disc it is reversed). What I want to know is WHAT IS IT MADE OF, and is the 2x model exactly the same disc other than the stamp?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JcPnmTL_kM (video shows flexibility)

Attachments

• champ-beast1.jpg
    champ-beast1.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 61
  • champ-beast2.jpg
    champ-beast2.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 63
^ Beat me to it.
yep, try the Facebook Beast Collectors page if you have no luck here.

OOP? Is that the type of plastic it is? Care to elaborate on that acronym? Was this only made in one type of plastic? Are any other discs made of this same plastic? I have a real attachment to it (obviously) :)

I would imagine the value would stagnate or go down after time now, Innova went back to the original Beast mold used in that era, many of the retailers (Marshall Street, Disc Golf Center, etc) are already showing Champ, G Star, and Pro runs with that tooling, so it should be pretty easy to get something that flies similar now, and newer discs should have less chance of cracking like the older era champs and ce plastic can do.

I would imagine the value would stagnate or go down after time now, Innova went back to the original Beast mold used in that era, many of the retailers (Marshall Street, Disc Golf Center, etc) are already showing Champ, G Star, and Pro runs with that tooling, so it should be pretty easy to get something that flies similar now, and newer discs should have less chance of cracking like the older era champs and ce plastic can do.

If I knew what type of plastic it is, and which modern plastic is similar, I'd go with that option. Any ideas?

If I knew what type of plastic it is, and which modern plastic is similar, I'd go with that option. Any ideas?

To answer your question from earlier, OOP stands for out of production. Innova changed the beast mold years ago since the Orc had just came out and they were so similar, making the beast more understable. So what you have is one of the original mold champion beast.

Just recently Innova has started running original mold beasts again (thank you lord!) and if you are looking for something similar to what you have, the new champion plastic is going to be a little stiffer than what you have, and the Gstar beast is going to be softer than what you have. There might be some gummy new champion (its nickname is jolly launcher champ plastic) beasts, but ive only felt a few of them and all were on the stiffer side

The plastic type is called "Champion" plastic or Champ for short. Obviously that is an older run of Champion plastic so the newer Champion (aka Jolly Launcher) may vary from that old run.

Link to the Innova site explaining their various type of plastic.

As for the Beast mold I am no expert on it so I will leave that to others who have chimed in. Good luck on your search. :thmbup:

To answer your question from earlier, OOP stands for out of production. Innova changed the beast mold years ago since the Orc had just came out and they were so similar, making the beast more understable. So what you have is one of the original mold champion beast.

Just recently Innova has started running original mold beasts again (thank you lord!) and if you are looking for something similar to what you have, the new champion plastic is going to be a little stiffer than what you have, and the Gstar beast is going to be softer than what you have. There might be some gummy new champion (its nickname is jolly launcher champ plastic) beasts, but ive only felt a few of them and all were on the stiffer side

THANK YOU! That is exactly what I needed to know!

heard barry mention the old beast was back in production. can anyone confirm?

It is! I've done a lot of research in the past 2 days, and it appears that it was an accident at the Innova plant. Their new mold broke, and the company they had used to make their molds apparently wasn't a option anymore (maybe because the cheap ass thing BROKE, I dunno), so they went back to their prior mold maker, and they accidentally made their new mold in their old pattern they had stored from way back, and so, now all new Beasts are from the "new" "old" mold design. :) (that's how I understood the story, anyway)

However, it seems that the new champion plastic is slightly stiffer than the original champion plastic, so that will make the disc slightly different. (again, to my best understanding from what I've been told in the past 2 days of research, I do not have both side by side to compare YET)

It is! I've done a lot of research in the past 2 days, and it appears that it was an accident at the Innova plant. Their new mold broke, and the company they had used to make their molds apparently wasn't a option anymore (maybe because the cheap ass thing BROKE, I dunno), so they went back to their prior mold maker, and they accidentally made their new mold in their old pattern they had stored from way back, and so, now all new Beasts are from the "new" "old" mold design. :) (that's how I understood the story, anyway)

However, it seems that the new champion plastic is slightly stiffer than the original champion plastic, so that will make the disc slightly different. (again, to my best understanding from what I've been told in the past 2 days of research, I do not have both side by side to compare YET)

Far as i know molds are ticking time bombs ready to bust. Maybe jcassidy or others with molding experience can yay or nay.

Far as i know molds are ticking time bombs ready to bust. Maybe jcassidy or others with molding experience can yay or nay.

Absolutely molds are just machined parts waiting to break. The mold in procces is done under anywhere from 8 to 750 tons of pressure and more. Most molds are what are called non grease molds, so there is very little to reduce friction. Add in high temps and high repetition and molds break.

In the medical molding field, most molds are only guaranteed to 100,000-200,000 cycles. That number can be achieved in less than three months. Anything that breaks before the amount of cycles the mold maker pays to fix, after, the company eats it.

My company had a mold that just one piece of the mold cost $25,000. The mold itself was over a quarter of a million dollars. So, molds are expensive, costly to maintain tools.

I don't have a picture to upload, but I found a putter with a very worn tournament stamp. All that I can make out is an outline of texas. Anyways, I'm 100% its an innova disc and about 99% sure its an aviar. I have a couple other aviars in my bag and the disc looks and throws the same. The only difference is that this aviar is supper grippy and flimsy, so flimsy i can roll the thing up like a burrito. So my question is, what kind of plastic is this? As far as I knew, innova didn't produe any supper flimsy plastics

I don't have a picture to upload, but I found a putter with a very worn tournament stamp. All that I can make out is an outline of texas. Anyways, I'm 100% its an innova disc and about 99% sure its an aviar. I have a couple other aviars in my bag and the disc looks and throws the same. The only difference is that this aviar is supper grippy and flimsy, so flimsy i can roll the thing up like a burrito. So my question is, what kind of plastic is this? As far as I knew, innova didn't produe any supper flimsy plastics

The floppy Aviar was an early experiment by Innova. People would use them so their putts would go into the sides of the baskets since it folded so easy. They were never a big hit in the area I played.

It's DX plastic.

Latest posts