• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild for a novice

The problem I see the most from newer players at Idlewild is they try too hard.
Accuracy is more important than distance. :)

In addition to everything else I've come to realize I love the variety of courses as much as I enjoy playing. I'm the same way in ball golf. Don't get me wrong I love playing but I really love going out and trying a vast variety of courses and seeing how there setup, all the different challenges unique to every course and the big differences in courses depending on the land and locations.

If that's the case right after you play Idlewild drive a few minutes up Rt 18 and play Boone Woods. Fun little course.

In addition to everything else I've come to realize I love the variety of courses as much as I enjoy playing. I'm the same way in ball golf. Don't get me wrong I love playing but I really love going out and trying a vast variety of courses and seeing how there setup, all the different challenges unique to every course and the big differences in courses depending on the land and locations.

Play Idlewild. Great course.

Accuracy is more important than distance. :)
True of many good courses.

It took me FOREVER to write my Lincoln Ridge review because I kept going back and forth on 4.5 or 5.

It is VERY good, golf-wise.
I know what you mean, I hemmed and hawed about it for a while, too. I actually think Lincoln Ridge's ratings would actually be higher if Idlewild wasn't there, because it's almost impossible not to draw comparisons because they're so close in proximity, but you could write a volumes about "Great Courses that just aren't quite as good as Idlewild." But Lincoln Ridge might have one of the greatest fun factors out there... I can't argue with anyone who rates it a 5.

...Also, Osage is getting Gold tees?!?! :eek: :cool: :beans:

We played the long 16 in the Course Challenge Tourney this past Saturday. 1117 feet: level, with an OB soybean field on the right and trees on the left. You've got a nice wide fairway to start, about 350' to a slight pinch in the fairway, another 350 hyzer (rhbh) to get around the wall of trees with a view to the remaining 400', which includes two mounds that act as optical illusions, making you guesstimate the basket as being closer than it really is.

I suppose two perfect 550 foot throws would make it do-able in three, but I was OK with my 6's. :eek:

btw: Adam was once asking around if there's a longer hole in the state of Ohio. Anyone heard of one?

ps: Burky, sorry about the thread jack. Back to your regularly scheduled programming! :)

Get a local guide, the 6 letter holes are mixed in and it helps to have someone to show you the ropes. Also you could end up throwing at the wrong basket. Most holes have 2 tees, so you can eliminate some risk with water hazards. Speaking of, look or ask before you throw, I threw a favorite disc in the water on a early hole. My local guide, said he would have warned me about the big water hazard that was beyond the road.....great course!! I'm an 870 player and I shot a 95. It's tough but not impossible

It took me FOREVER to write my Lincoln Ridge review because I kept going back and forth on 4.5 or 5.

It is VERY good, golf-wise.

Also, Osage is getting Gold tees?!?! :eek: :cool: :beans:

I rated it a 4.5 and my buddy got mad at me for not rating it a 5. I would be able to play Lincoln Ridge every day. Same with Flip City. I don't know if I could play Idlewild once a week. That being said, Idlewild is the much better course, but Lincoln Ridge is still awesome.

I've said it before, "Idlewild is a better course but Lincoln Ridge is more fun to play." I was in Cincy last week and played Mt Airy, Osage and Lincoln Ridge. Skipped Idewild this time but have played it yearly 3 times now.

I rated it a 4.5 and my buddy got mad at me for not rating it a 5. I would be able to play Lincoln Ridge every day. Same with Flip City. I don't know if I could play Idlewild once a week. That being said, Idlewild is the much better course, but Lincoln Ridge is still awesome.

I do not get this sort of thinking. A DG course is supposed to be played by you.....that is what it is supposed to be good/better/best for, and who it is good/better/best for.

How can a course be better than another but you want to play it less?

I do not get this sort of thinking. A DG course is supposed to be played by you.....that is what it is supposed to be good/better/best for, and who it is good/better/best for.

How can a course be better than another but you want to play it less?

Idlewild is to me like a Pro Caliber Course, I don't think I would be upset if you had to pay 5 dollars a round here and make a tee time. I have not seen many courses like it. But it's not my style of course, but that doesn't mean I don't see the beauty and extra time in it.

Lincoln Ridge is beautiful in it's own way. It's the kind of disc golf I want to play, where you feel you are in the nature and less man made stuff, higher fun factor.

You have never played a course that was a really great course, but not your style? Idlewild really is all the hype, and is a better course, however Licoln Ridge is a lot more fun for my style of disc golf.

You have never played a course that was a really great course, but not your style? Idlewild really is all the hype, and is a better course, however Licoln Ridge is a lot more fun for my style of disc golf.

yeah - I have played some really amazing courses that are just not for me. Not my style, the challenge was not at all appropriate for me, etc. So yeah.....I have played a bunch of such courses. But....... absolutely perfect for what and whom they were intended. By your thinking I should then rate it a 5.0 - right?

But I never want to play them again so I gave them 0.0 to 1.0 ratings (with a verbal apology and explanation) since I never wanted to return. These courses have nothing about them that draws me back to themselves.

You see, elementary school courses designed to be used in gym class do nothing for me....although I wish my kids' school had a course.

It only makes sense to invert that kind of thinking for courses that are above my head/ability since they are not as fun/rewarding/addicting to play as courses that are more precisely tuned to me.

For a more common/realistic example, I have rated plenty of courses that are too long for me lower than if they had been shorter. I get bored quickly on many holes that are 50-150' out of my range (370-520') because throwing a safe drive followed by a boringly short upshot and a tap-in putt is......boring. I recognize that these courses are perfect for people who throw further than me and do not begrudge them one bit for rating these courses higher than I do.

Last edited:
^ But I never said I wouldn't want to play Idlewild ever again. I would play it again, I just think my pride could only take playing it once a month.

I've heard others from the local Cincy area say recently that Flip City compares to Lincoln Ridge.

I need to get to Flip City.

He'll yes you do, too bad it's a days drive away. I plan on going back next spri g when the cherry trees are in bloom.

I've heard others from the local Cincy area say recently that Flip City compares to Lincoln Ridge.

I need to get to Flip City.

If you do make sure you hit me up. It's 1.5 hours from my house so I would be more then willing to show you around :-D

^ But I never said I wouldn't want to play Idlewild ever again. I would play it again, I just think my pride could only take playing it once a month.

And I didn't say you you should rate it a 0.0 or 1.0. I just pointed out that you are not rating a course lower even though you personally like it less.

In essence you are projecting what you feel other people should like and rating from their perspective. You might have a great perspective to be able to to that well......but I have tried and given up with that endeavor. I am constantly amazed at what my friends like and dislike right about the time I think I have their preferences in courses/holes pegged.

So I try to rate something that is very subjective as objectively as possible - honestly rating (and reveiwing) solely from my perspective. I have taken quite a few :thmbdown:'s for doing that.

You can rate however you like and I am fine with it. I am not trying to be a jerk or anything....I just like to understand why people rate course like they do.

Last edited:
As long as you know that it is brutal and are prepared for the beating, it's plenty fine for novices. I started playing there years ago after getting bored with its mostly open and short neighbor, Boone Woods. If you're staying up near Kings Island, I would consider Osage Grove in Goshen. It's a great course and very close. It's less punishing and an absolute blast.

^^^ I agree! Idlewild is a beast of a course, but Osage is a great course.

Latest posts