• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild for a novice

How much longer will a round take @ Idlewild? On a typical park-style course, let's say avg. round is 90 mins.

I'm flying into Cinci, and since Idlewild is right down the block, figured I'd pop in for a round. Problem is, I probably wouldn't get there 'til 5pm-ish. Wondering if that'll be enough time to finish a round and not be rushed by the impending darkness.

How much longer will a round take @ Idlewild? On a typical park-style course, let's say avg. round is 90 mins.

I'm flying into Cinci, and since Idlewild is right down the block, figured I'd pop in for a round. Problem is, I probably wouldn't get there 'til 5pm-ish. Wondering if that'll be enough time to finish a round and not be rushed by the impending darkness.

You should be fine. If you're worried about it, you can always skip the letter holes. They don't really "fit" in my opinion anyway.

Last time I played casual down there it was a group of about 3-4 and we didn't get down to Idlewild until about 6-7ish. As a group we play pretty slow and we still were able to finish the original 18. I would allow at least 2 hours but up to 3 just to be safe.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

It is ultimately just a walk in the park. This is a very nice park. The features and uniqueness of this course should be seen. Have a good trip man.

Agree, if you play disc golf and are near Idlewild you should play it. Regardless of your skill level.

If you're planning for a lay over I would plan for a 3 hour round at Idlewild. If you think that's not enough time to catch your flight then I would only play 12 holes. (1-6 and all letter holes). That way you end up back by your car when you finish #6 which would be the 12th hole.

Just another option.

Thanks, Jay Dub.

Fortunately, I'm in the area for 5 days and have about half that total time to dedicate to discing. The other half is wedding/fesitivities and other stuff that's not as fun ;)

My goal is to play Idlewild, Lincoln Ridge, & Mt. Airy in Cinci; Seviren Lang, Charlie V, and one other in Louisville; and then either Veterns Park or Riney B in Lexington, where I must for the festivities. I know it sounds ambitious, but I'm on a mission to make my free time count in an area I doubt I'll be in again in the (foreseeable) future.

Rather than make the trip to Lexington, I would recommend playing some of the better courses in the Dayton area - Handyman, Sycamore, Belmont, Fisher. Better courses and probably a little shorter drive depending on where you are staying.

All these out of towners reminding me that Banklick is so awesome after you play a course over 2000 times you kinda forget what you have right in your backyard.

Agreed!

and to the OP, play Idle...if nothing else, enjoy the beauty of the course. You won't forget you're playing badly, but it'll make the beating more enjoyable.

I played Idelwild less than a year after taking up the game. Could probably only throw about 270' at the time. Played 18...don't think they had the letter holes then...shot a bad score of 86 (14 over) but thoroughly enjoyed it. It's like golf, keep it in play you'll be rewarded...don't and pay the price.

Being far in the eastern time zone, sunset isn't until well after 8p these days for the Cincy area.

Idlewild complete!

I was the original poster on this thread and want to thank every one for there opinions. A little wrap up on my trip.

Was able to fit two round in around the zoo, kings island and jungle jim's

Played Osage Grove on Saturday night. Shot a 65 for a 879 rating. Thanks everyone who sent me this way-what a nice course. Very secluded and beautiful. Tough but fair. Bout halfway through saw a gigantic owl come down and snatch something out of the middle of a big fairway. Me and my daughter got the biggest kick out of seeing this owl "munch" on what ever it was. Started the round really late about 7:30. Played quick and was having a great time. Had to try to power through the last few holes in. Almost dark by the time we got to 18 . Again it was dark being in the woods. Threw a teebird just a little anny. Started left side of fairway and just barely didn't turn enough. Bad shot but 99.9% of the time in daylight we would have found it. Damn it if it wasn't too dark, looked for a couple minutes and gave up. Luckily in two days it was the only disc lost but it grated at me all night.

Went down to Idlewild on Sunday morning. Wow!!! Playing such a tough great course I realized if you play smart and within yourself no course is "too much" 104 for an 835 rating. Played every long pin and every long tee (except one of the letters that goes over the pond with the high, high grass right in front of ya). Just felt right throwing from them and took everyone's advice and threw lots of mids. Didn't lose a disc all day. SWEET!!!! Took two hours with a little waiting. Very friendly people around. Still can't get over those "putting greens."

Nickled and Dimed my way down the really long par 5. Best memory of the course is parring that hole and the next three to "par" my way in.

Thanks again for all the good advice and I'm just brimming with confidence realizing that every course holds it's charms and no course is "too much" for a novice like me. Probably the #1 spot now of the 31 I've played in the last year. Thanks again.