• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Idlewild is adding holes

I'm a big fan of this!! I really hope that 24 holes soon becomes the standard for most disc golf courses. It will just be another step away from being ball golf's little brother.

I call it Riney B syndrome (or Banklick syndrome or Hambrick Syndrome or Cedarrock syndrome for that matter). Where the course designers design a 18 hole course but keep obsessing about "all that unused land".
I've never tromped around the undeveloped area out at Idlewild so I don't know how many acres are available and where.

I can't speak for all the land that the 6 holes will encompass, but I know that there is a clearing, slightly downhill, barely edging left with a 30-40ft opening at the end thats begging to be a fairway. Its as if it was anointed by the disc gods themselves.

Any updates?

I saw Fred Salaz (the course designer) about a month ago and talked a little bit about it. He mentioned that they were shooting to have those holes open by the Kentucky State Championships near the end of April. Fred said that several of the new holes will be shorter but still very technical while there will be a couple par fours that use the lake and another big drainage basin in the woods beyond number 2. That's about all I know. Looking forward to it though.

This is Fred's latest update:

Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2011 11:13:53 AM
Fred Salaz said:
I have moved the basket on #3 to the long position till the Ky states singles on April 23. I will be trying to grow grass on the island position(#3) for the bluegrass open. I'm pretty sure the new holes won't be ready by the time the ky states roll along. There is too much clearing to do with downed trees and upgrades from all the flooding on the course and the weather pretty much sucks. I will be concentrating on getting the course cleaned up before installing new holes. They have been approved but waiting for funding. If anyone is interested in helping clean up Idlewild stop by the shop and I'll give you something to do that can be done by one or two people. It would be much appreciated.

I stand corrected then. Still looking forward to just playing the course again. May try to get up there for a round or two the weekend after BG Ams.

I'm sure with all the typical mid-west spring rain (flooding) nothing can be done,yet. Can't wait to play it! Road trip mid-summer.