• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

If there was a "30 for 30" style series on Disc Golf...

I would love to see a story on about Nikko. When he broke on to the scene he was the next great young player. A few short years later several more young guns showed up on the scene and surpassed him. today he is still trying to find his way back to a number one ranking.

I would love to see something about Flip City. For almost forty years Flip has been a refuge for golfers. The vibe cultivated by Bill is unlike any course, private or public, that I have ever played. That place is pure magic.

There could be something about Jussi Meresmaa too. How his ideas to grow the sport have been criticised for some of them and what he has really done to the sport.

And maybe something about Selah Ranch, how and why it became a favorite destination for many golfers (as we can see by the ratings on DGCR).

As a counter-example, something about how stupid politicians can have the idea to replace Järva DGP (park of the year in 2017) by a cemetary on a polluted soil.
"Save Järva" was a great documentary, but there might be a need of a really strong film to have the voice of discgolfers heard in this silly project... as the petition was not enough.

<3

Save Jarva is one of the things I'm most proud of on SpinTV. It wasn't intended to be a part of that movement, just a spotlight on an amazing course, but I feel honored if it helped in some way.

I think there could be a legit discussion/program on smoking (cigs, maryjyouwanna, vaping, etc) and how it has related to disc golf. Any ideas for the title?

Someone mentioned Cam Todd..

Cam Todd vs. The PDGA would be an amazing story if you could get the rawness from it. An in depth look about Cam's suspension and how he stepped away from the game for a bit, along with the story of his return to competitive play.

Considering this 30/30 should have entertainment value, I'm thinking Gregg Hosfeld would be an interesting study. He's been at the top level for his age almost 40 years including Open (1987) and GM(2008, 2010) World titles, played more than 1000 courses, designed and continues to design courses and has seemed to survive at certain times on air, a comedy juggling road show and the kindness of strangers. And he could probably help write the script considering his extensive contributions to DG publications.

Someone mentioned Cam Todd..

Cam Todd vs. The PDGA would be an amazing story if you could get the rawness from it. An in depth look about Cam's suspension and how he stepped away from the game for a bit, along with the story of his return to competitive play.
Add in there the new social media aspect of it an how that complicated the issue and that's a compelling story. Mistakes were made. By everyone. Bottom line is the result of all those mistakes cost one of the best players the game has seen the prime years of his career.

Climo is actually a compelling story. One of my favorite documentaries is "pulling John", which is kind of the same story. Phenomenal talent dominates niche sport for a crazy length of time.

There's a good story somewhere between the 11X Climo victory and the 1X McBeth win. development of higher payout events, Feldberg/Jenkins, Anthon/Todd/Locastro, the Europeans, equipment changes...guess I'm thinking more of a Ken Burns thing.

Add in there the new social media aspect of it an how that complicated the issue and that's a compelling story. Mistakes were made. By everyone. Bottom line is the result of all those mistakes cost one of the best players the game has seen the prime years of his career.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but my recollection is that the initial 4 month suspension + 2 years probation was reduced on appeal to 2 months suspension + 1 year probation + suspension from the 2005 BHMO, with the 2 month suspension waived if Cam agreed to "donate" his winnings from his next PDGA Major to the Leukemia Society, which effectively reduced the discipline to one year of probation and a one-time suspension from one specific tournament.

I also believe that it was around that time that several other Discraft sponsored players very loudly and very publically called for their sponsor to "SEND THE ANGRY CLOWN HOME," so while I concur that none of the parties to the disciplinary action emerged from the foofaraw with much credit, I suspect that there were other factors besides the "suspension" that contributed to Cam's decision to take a sabbatical from competitive disc golf.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but my recollection is that the initial 4 month suspension + 2 years probation was reduced on appeal to 2 months suspension + 1 year probation + suspension from the 2005 BHMO, with the 2 month suspension waived if Cam agreed to "donate" his winnings from his next PDGA Major to the Leukemia Society, which effectively reduced the discipline to one year of probation and a one-time suspension from one specific tournament.

I also believe that it was around that time that several other Discraft sponsored players very loudly and very publically called for their sponsor to "SEND THE ANGRY CLOWN HOME," so while I concur that none of the parties to the disciplinary action emerged from the foofaraw with much credit, I suspect that there were other factors besides the "suspension" that contributed to Cam's decision to take a sabbatical from competitive disc golf.
Part of why it was fascinating at the time was the social media aspect. All those rumors or stories you used to hear at the course when somebody went to and event, came back and repeated all the gossip he heard suddenly spilled out on the PDGA message board, and nobody had any idea how to get that under control. It was a new problem. Suddenly people who didn't have any first-hand knowledge had a platform to repeat whatever they wanted to repeat, and we ate that up. In retrospect, it wasn't fair to Cam.

HOWEVER you are right. The Angry Clown thing existed, and it's unlikely that Cam would want to revisit everything that happened. He may have stepped away just to get that under control. Who knows? In a lot of ways it's a story with no good guy.

Probably not 30 for 30 worthy, but I'd like something done with cooperation from Bill Nye explaining the science behind disc charging stations and nicing a shot.

For real though, Ken and Barry's usdgc playoff would get my vote.

Falient - The Short Rise and Epic Fall of the American Disc Golf Tour

Rise and fall of Salient.

It might be a stretch to call it classic, but the 2016 "American Open", and the brief existence of the American Disc Golf Tour, would make an interesting subject. No problem with a lack of footage.

The story of Salient/ADGT.

Guys, I don't get it. The Salient/AGDT does not sound interesting to me at all. AT least XFL and USFL had multiple seasons. This crew had one event, and no sustainability. Although, nate22's title was a classic. So NICE! on that.

But realistically, I see DiscGolfPlanet, Disc Golf Monthly, and Cloud 9 as having more of a story than that.

ON the positive side... What about this one:

"149 and 500+: How Carl Cubbedge became 'Cubby' "