• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

im having issues w black dye shades

Duff-Dyed

Par Member
im using old dye, i always save the dye after i use it... i use it often enough so why waste?

i have a dye job that needs to be a light grey, but the light 30 sec exposure is making it look almost blue. i realize that black dye is basically really really dark blue, am i sol? i need to know asap. thank you.

Yeah with rit their black isn't really black until you get it really dark. I've had shades of brown and shades of purple in my black dyes. From what I have heard the idye poly is more of a true black and light dips get you greys.

pearl grey or really old grey are what you are after for rit. Good luck with that. Stuffs getting really hard to find.

I've noticed this guy in searching for old Rit dye. Look to the back of the shelves. Maybe you all have tried this. But I have had luck in grocery stores and fabric stores finding boxes from 2009 and 2010. Also the old solid color boxes. Whoever stocks the shelves, just puts the new boxes in the rack and pushes the old ones back. No FIFO there. Remember to open the boxes and look at the marking on the bag. From what I've tested and read, if the package has "ND" on it , no bueno.

I'll pay money for Old pearl Grey, HaHa, but so would everyone else here. Let's start a mail campaign to RIT dye asking for them bring back the old blend for disc golfers.

iPoly is pretty good but it doesn't always work as well with my technique, but with information and motivation from Eky8, I'm gonna add some heat to the process . . . .somehow. :clap:

well i did get idye and i tried the light approach w that, was better but still just went jet black. imo they look great jet black.

i did try what you said to try today at joanns. about looking in the back boxes. no dice. all the grey had ND (not hard to remember since those are my initials lol)

i did find out, via research last night. jacquardy does offer a grey in poly, the trick is finding a retailer that actually sells it. the standard roygbv,blk,bwn are the only ones ive been able to find locally and jacquardy doesnt have a direct order link... towards the bottom... http://www.jacquardproducts.com/idye.html

now, since i have your attention... will idye work for spine dyes, via the dish soap and acetone method? i was going to give that a go this week to test out the technique.

Kinda funny, I recently threw out my old pearl gray RIT because all I was getting was a purplish color from it.

You can order iDye Poly from DickBlicks, and I think Dharma Trading Co. as well.

I've used iDye for painting, marbling, spins, and dips - really the only thing I never got a good result with was the "brainwave-type" of dyes, but I also never tried to mix the iDye with clear hair gel/pomade to try & get the same consistency of the Punky hair dye...

thanks, ill check those sources out.

punky hair dye? do you mean manic panic? do people use that to dye w? its not permanent. used to wash out of my hair in like 4 weeks... im sure they have changed their formula in the last 12-13 years... do tell more please.

DuffCarver- the red iDye is tremendous with Alcohol it dyes dark and quickly. The yellow doesn't work with Alcohol. Black hasn't worked well with Alcohol. That's all I've tried so far because I have been using Rit dye so far. Wish I had more time to experiment, but mainly have to use what I know works. I've had a couple orders a week now and have 5 more to do. I can't experiment with peoples' plastic but will find the time up coming and let you know.

DuffCarver- the red iDye is tremendous with Alcohol it dyes dark and quickly. The yellow doesn't work with Alcohol. Black hasn't worked well with Alcohol. That's all I've tried so far because I have been using Rit dye so far. Wish I had more time to experiment, but mainly have to use what I know works. I've had a couple orders a week now and have 5 more to do. I can't experiment with peoples' plastic but will find the time up coming and let you know.

youre using the old formula rit i assume? or does the acetone or alcohol make the "nd" formula work?

thank you so much for the help everyone!

I disagree w/dischyzer - I haven't ran into any issues w/certain iDye colors not working. I've used black, purple, yellow, blue, red, orange, and mixed blue & yellow to get shades of green w/out having to buy iDye green (have also done the same w/yellow & red for orange, before I found orange locally).

bmx punk- have those iPoly's worked with alcohol. I'm sure with water or detergent they are going to work fine. I just haven't played with them much.

Varying shades of iDye Poly Black, on white Goldline plastic.

9265576560_cd4d080d9d.jpg