• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improving your game

Bogey Member
I've been playing for the last 4.5 years except for the year I had to take off for health reasons. I try to play everyday I'm off and I'm off 3 or 4 days a week. I just don't seem to be getting any better. Any suggestions on what I could do?

I would read the technique sticky, practice all that stuff until you see improvements. Don't be afraid to make huge changes in your form even if they set you back a lot in the short run. Make sure you're doing things properly. Post a video of yourself throwing here in the technique section and you'll get great advice from knowledgable people who know what to look for. Fastest way to get better is to work on putting. Post your bag in the bag feedback section for critique, you may have a set up that is hindering your progress. Above all keep practicing and having fun

When you play those 3 or 4 times a week, do you always play a round? Or, do you work in some practice? Find and empty basket and practice putting for 15-20 minutes before you play. Find an empty ball field and practice your shots there. And don't just practice your long drives. Work on upshots and approaches, too, until you're confident you can land the disc just where you want it.

The last month or so it's been a mix of playing and field work (putting,up shots,drives,forhand) but before that mostly just playing.

Also, I found that playing with better players helped me progress a lot. Seeing shot selection and how someone one else approaches different shots showed me quite a bit.

What part of your game do you think needs the most work? Get involved with a league where you can watch better players.

I have seen massive improvements in the last 6 months and I completely credit it to playing less rounds and doing more field work. Go throw your putters and mids at 75%. They will show you your form flaws. That is what I did, I've been reading the threads on technique for years but it took practice with slower discs for me to see any real improvement.

play a round with just one driver, mid, putter or even just putters that will help your form and makes u throw slightly different lines maybe u will figure out some new throws on your home course. also playing with someone better than u always helps. I also think if u are just playing super casual rounds u wont get better, but if u focus on all your shots u will get better. I always played casual then I started keeping score which forced me to focus on every shot which made me improve a lot just by working on the mental game which made the game even more fun being better

I have seen massive improvements in the last 6 months and I completely credit it to playing less rounds and doing more field work. Go throw your putters and mids at 75%. They will show you your form flaws. That is what I did, I've been reading the threads on technique for years but it took practice with slower discs for me to see any real improvement.

Yeah I've kind of started thinking like that more practice and less playing rounds might help.

play a round with just one driver, mid, putter or even just putters that will help your form and makes u throw slightly different lines maybe u will figure out some new throws on your home course. also playing with someone better than u always helps. I also think if u are just playing super casual rounds u wont get better, but if u focus on all your shots u will get better. I always played casual then I started keeping score which forced me to focus on every shot which made me improve a lot just by working on the mental game which made the game even more fun being better

Thanks tylerc that makes a lot of sense. I do play a lot of super casual rounds. I've heard
playing with better players helps but right now I've been playing with sine friends that just started playing.

What part of your game do you think needs the most work? Get involved with a league where you can watch better players.

Think biggest problem is consistency. I'll throw some great shots and turn around and throw a shot like I just started playing and all of the sudden I can't make a putt outside of 20 ft.

I got better the quickest when I started playing solo rounds to be honest and I would try to hit every shot perfect so if I threw a drive that didn't hit the correct height or angle or what ever I would throw until I hit it then play off of the first drive I think that helped the most playing solo and focusing on every shot but it was fun and a good time away from everything

also to help with that consistency I would go to the field to practice that. for instance my thing that I am terrible at is hyzers for some reason it is my least accurate line so I have been going to the field an throwing every disc from about 275 and trying to throw varying height hyzers, but u can do that with anything. but make your field work count. aim at something like a soccer goal or a tree off in the distance and fade to the soccer goal what ever. u don't wanna waste field work time

Last edited:
My biggest improvement so far came when I got rid of my x-step (sadly, I did not lose much distance) and focused on nothing but my weight transfer.

Fieldplay - If I tried to throw for max distance, I tended to revert to my original form. I found that marking a spot at ~70 % of my max and throwing to that while just focusing on the legs and hips worked well.

Stay focused on just the weight sift. For me that was not always easy but my fieldplay was not as effective when I tried working on more than one thing.

Homeplay - Practiced my weight transfer in slow motion. I find slow motion work to be about the most helpful way to instill new form.

Read the technique section - There is a lot of good info to be found in here. One thing I do differently for the standstill (and x-step) now is close my stance to the target line (my lead foot, shoulder, and hip are closer to the line I am trying to throw along than my rear foot, shoulder, and hip). I tended to be more parallel before.

I wish those door frame vids had been around when I was doing all this.

Rounds - While in the field and home I focus a little more on body positions. On the course I found that focusing just on the feel of the weight shift is best.

After about 8 months I reincorporated my x-step, but am thinking of getting rid of it and going through this process again.

I hope this helps.

Think biggest problem is consistency. I'll throw some great shots and turn around and throw a shot like I just started playing and all of the sudden I can't make a putt outside of 20 ft.

Bad response. Everyone wants more consistency. Are you wanting to throw lasers, your hyzers are inconsistent, cannot throw a turnover to save your life, your up shots are all over? You miss a putt inside 20, do you normally make these? Could just be a bad day.

The generic answers you have been given will help many form flaws and issues but try to be specific to what you want to work on. If it is drives then what about your drives, and what do you throw, and what are your abilities/distances?

Not trying to sound mean just give us a little more to work on. And know that with any game you have to put in the practice. When you play any sport your practice is like 90% drills and 10% game. Copy this to disc golf and you will get better. Happy throwing.

Darren

A lot of people have pointed you towars the technique sticky, which is great. But I'd suggest taking a look in Craig's corner too! It's a sticky for a reason and there is some valuable reading from a very experienced player

Buy a practice basket. Helped my putting tremendously.

Playing with better players will help a little if you observe them or pick their brains for ideas.. I think fields practice is paramount.

Bad response. Everyone wants more consistency. Are you wanting to throw lasers, your hyzers are inconsistent, cannot throw a turnover to save your life, your up shots are all over?

Darren

After some field practice and a few rounds it's turnover shots that I just can't throw consistently. Some will hold the anny line but the next will fade more than my normal shot or they will just flip to a roller. I don't have a very good forehand shot either.

Latest posts