• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova equivalent of ESP Surge

ian.

*Legalize It*
Hey guys i lost one of my go to drivers yesterday.. a 166g ESP Nate Doss Surge and i was wondering what you guys thought a good Innova replacement would be. The one i lost was pretty beat so it didnt really fly like a normal Surge but its really the only discraft in my bag and I wanted to try something close to it from Innova. I have 2 other ESP Surge's so I can always fall back on them if need be but I was thinking maybe the Wraith would be close but was just wanted to get feedback from people have have maybe thrown both. Oh and I throw RHBH and could get the Surge to around 300-315 ft if that helps, thanks again :hfive:

Yep, the Surge/Wraith comparison was pretty accurate for me. Had a Pro Wraith and a FLX Surge but I threw a friend's Star Wraith a couple times to even up the playing field. Surge was a tad more stable for me--quite domey.

Star wraith,

They fly exactly the same, at least out to 360' when I've thrown em, so that should work for ya

cool good deal, yea i do have some other Surges just in case but i just wanted to try the Innova version and see how it feels but yea thanks for the quick input guys

Surges are a touch more flippy than Wraiths out of the box.

I've found this to be the case as well, but not so much so that it would keep me from bouncing between the molds. I used to only throw Wraiths and then I started getting so many from the misprint deals that I began throwing them interchangeably without a noticeable change in flight between the two.

The only other thing to keep in mind is that some runs of Star plastic are stiffer than others, while most runs of ESP I've encountered have been fairly flexi.

there's variations within the molds of the Surge and Wraith. There's flippy Wraiths, more overstable Surges, stiffer and more flexy for both discs. They are both close enough to each other that they are practically the same disc. The difference is negligable to me, although they have slightly different feels to their rims. I find the Surge a little easier to grip, so I throw that.

I do not suggest the Z, D, or FLX Surges. The Zs are too inconsistant. The FLX are even more inconsistent, and as with most FLX drivers, they tend to start out more overstable than other plastics, and then all the sudden they change to being really flippy for that particular mold.

However, for the Wraith, I think the Champ and Star Wraiths are both quality discs that are run very consistently. The Pro Wraith is a little differnt animal because it beats in a little faster, but it's still a great disc, and they tend to glide a little more. The DX Wraith isn't a great disc to have in your bag for long, because of it's wide rim, it'll taco rather quickly and lose all it's stablity after a few hits.

Try out the Champ and Star Wraiths, you might like them. If not, just get more ESP Surges, they are great discs as well.

i'd get 2-3 pro wraiths over the star wraith. they have better grip (IMO) and they break in faster so you can have a few in different stages of wear

lol thanks guys, i picked up a star wraith and pro wraith yesterday at the local store...they are getting rid of everything they have at 40% off so if anyone needs anything lemme know..but yea i havent had a chance to throw them yet since it has been nasty as hell here but both were a lil heavier than i wanted but ill toss em and let you guys know how it goes