• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

G* Katana

Threw my first G* Katana in a while. My god, I forgot how long these things are. 175g, and a nice dome (which is somewhat unusual for G* Katanas. Most times they're flat).

Anyway, the disc absolutely bombed. I think I hit 480' a couple times, and in the field vs. 7 other discs the G* Katana was routinely the longest.

Fairly flippy for a Katana, with little late fade. I'd put this particular disc at something like 13, 6, -3, 2. Big glide, easy turn, and just enough late fade to bring it back late. Massive S curve distance.

Those looking for a super long, flippy Katana should definitely check out the G*.

I bought a few Katanas this year and I'm pretty sure they are all rebadged DD2's. It's got the Discmania anhyzer top from what I can tell. I got Pros and Champs. All have the bigger bump towards the end of the upper wing.

Just thought people should know. They are definitely different discs from previous Katanas. Same bottom, different top. Still a nice disc and goes deep no doubt. Sort of annoyed though at the same time.

I bought a few Katanas this year and I'm pretty sure they are all rebadged DD2's. It's got the Discmania anhyzer top from what I can tell. I got Pros and Champs. All have the bigger bump towards the end of the upper wing.

Just thought people should know. They are definitely different discs from previous Katanas. Same bottom, different top. Still a nice disc and goes deep no doubt. Sort of annoyed though at the same time.

Interesting. I personally haven't seen any Katanas as you describe, but I also haven't seen any really new ones.

That's too bad. I think the Katana is a way better flier than the DD2.

You might take an older Katana and see how it compares in shape to your new ones.

Interesting. I personally haven't seen any Katanas as you describe, but I also haven't seen any really new ones.

That's too bad. I think the Katana is a way better flier than the DD2.

You might take an older Katana and see how it compares in shape to your new ones.

Oh I did, it's completely different. Anhyzer top for sure which would make it a DD2. I too prefer the shape of the Katana so I am disappointed a bit.

I want to thank you for the G star katana suggestion... I just got one and it's a real animal I didn't find my flippy but I was throwing it down wind it it was very straight with a little turn but it was the 1st time I threw it but i it was a real monster distance wise

I want to thank you for the G star katana suggestion... I just got one and it's a real animal I didn't find my flippy but I was throwing it down wind it it was very straight with a little turn but it was the 1st time I threw it but i it was a real monster distance wise

Yeah, they're fun. Some of the longest throws of my life have been with G* Katanas. On a good day I can get to just short of 500' with them. They'll outdo Shrykes as well.

So I have crazy history with the Katana...
My first ACE was with a champ Katana when I was developing my LHFH. I hit a spike hyzer and it was stable enough to hold but on the downward flight it didn't fade too far and smashed the chains behind 2 Giant cedar trees -

I then tried to replace my retired disc and became very disenfranchised with the Katana. I had other Champs and Stars but nothing will replace that 1st ACE, and they were all over the place FH and BH.

2 weeks ago I ran across a PRO Katana in a used bin. I grabbed it as I am on a quest to find something I can hyzer-flip further than a G* Mamba. I have thrown that Katana in field practice and have had 3 freak shots approaching 450', which is pretty good for someone on the the backside of 50.

The PRO Katana can regularly outdrive everything in my bag except a Star Corvette. It is also the hardest disk for me to control - so it is not in the bag, but in my stack of field throwers. I rolled one over tonight that probably went 400' between the flight down the right side of the field and the turn and burn roll across the field to the left and retrace of about 50' before the hamster got tired and passed out. All for less than 275 total gross distance... The throw before that I chucked it further than I ever have - maybe even longer than all but the longest Corvette toss but easily 450'. I just can't figure out wind/release to feel confident in turning it loose in the wild.

Gstar..I find it easy straight.
Turns right little finish back left..I throw it slifhtly hyzer...good flyer..used to love blizzard..but found most stink and I just got lucky..have one good 150g blizzard that is a good flyer and stable

I said it before and will say again - Blizzard Katana is a cheat code for the under-powered, especially under 150.

I said it before and will say again - Blizzard Katana is a cheat code for the under-powered, especially under 150.

Blizz Katanas will work out to about 350'. Any further than that and they get unmanageably flippy.

If you can find a light-ish G* Katana you'll probably forget all about blizzards.

Blizz Katanas will work out to about 350'. Any further than that and they get unmanageably flippy.

If you can find a light-ish G* Katana you'll probably forget all about blizzards.

Depends on the weight which loosely translates to PLH and dome and thus stability. I had a 157 that showed zero turn to 350 on a flat shot. Just pure straight to hyzer. It was stiff and quite domey. I imagine 450-500 foot throwers would have liked it.

Depends on the weight which loosely translates to PLH and dome and thus stability. I had a 157 that showed zero turn to 350 on a flat shot. Just pure straight to hyzer. It was stiff and quite domey. I imagine 450-500 foot throwers would have liked it.

Yeah, there's no consistency in blizzard discs. I've seen a few blizz Bosses that were WAAAYYY overstable, and wouldn't turn at all no matter how hard I threw them.

Blizz Katanas are even worse. They're usually really flat. They can be anything from ridiculously flippy, to super overstable.

I'm surprised anyone still buys and throws blizz plastic. You literally have no clue what you're getting until you actually throw it.

Haha, 350' is tailwind or downhill for me. I will agree that once they turn over they aren't coming back. I generally throw the Air Sword or Sapphire most of the time, but when you hit the Katana just right, amazing.

Trying a G* is an excellent recommendation though. :clap:

Haha, 350' is tailwind or downhill for me. I will agree that once they turn over they aren't coming back. I generally throw the Air Sword or Sapphire most of the time, but when you hit the Katana just right, amazing.

Trying a G* is an excellent recommendation though. :clap:

If I had to list my top 5 longest drivers, G* Katana would be on it. G* Corvette would be as well.

Sapphire's underrated for sheer distance. It won't go as far as a Katana, but it's close. More consistent flight and less flippy as well.

This g star advice was money....I bought one it is my longest disc. I find it controllable with a nice little finish. What stands out is the tremendous glide..it is really a great flier. I Have been a longterm katana fan but have struggled to find good ones the last couple of years....I have 1 good blizzard..had to buy literally 10 to get a good flier..I have another very domey blizz that should be good but is stubbornly os....but works ok fh...I I basically had quit on katanas and bosses...which I used to love too and have all been pigss recently...but the gstar was great.

The downside of course is when these season..they turn more...go further..then you lose em..last week this Gstar was on fire...then last hole it got going turned forever and went into brush on a hillside..gonzo...but I ordered another..something happened to my star shryke..it had become very understable, when I lost the kat I pulled it out had some good ones then bombed one out right that I never saw again.fun while they last..I use a champ daedalus that is more stable but not quite as long..diff is small maybe 30 ft..but I feel that gstar kat a little seasoned is the bomber...I have also been liking my vip King downwinf..you have to be clean with it though

So I replaced my lost gstar Kat with another one same weight color and stamp...and it flew the same..this is amazing for Katanas as they are all over the place as discussed...gstar turns out of the box glides and is super long wow..and I don't know anybody who uses them...when I play people often comment when they see the flight "is that a katana? I ve never seen one actually turn..and that is apparently because many were bricks...I want to know what happened to bosses because they were my fav..would turn and even flip...very long..now I find only os bricks.. gstar..brick...champ bri c k....pro...flies to numbers but unremarkable d.have one heavy blizzard that's good glide..but still no turn except if flexed

So I replaced my lost gstar Kat with another one same weight color and stamp...and it flew the same..this is amazing for Katanas as they are all over the place as discussed...gstar turns out of the box glides and is super long wow..and I don't know anybody who uses them...when I play people often comment when they see the flight "is that a katana? I ve never seen one actually turn..and that is apparently because many were bricks...I want to know what happened to bosses because they were my fav..would turn and even flip...very long..now I find only os bricks.. gstar..brick...champ bri c k....pro...flies to numbers but unremarkable d.have one heavy blizzard that's good glide..but still no turn except if flexed

Innova changed the Boss to be 13, 5, 0, 3. I hate it. When I throw a Boss I want that high speed turn. Newer Bosses are all that crap blizzardy type plastic, and they don't fly well at all.

If you want a "good" Boss you'll have to find an old one. Feldberg Bosses were (IMO) the best ones ever made. Great plastic, beautiful flight.

G* Katanas are among the longest drivers on the market.

The pro boss I have season into something reasonably nice.. I particularly like it forehand and cause it's reasonably stable but will still flip up go straight and have a reliable fade..

I'm curious why no one cares more about katanas,
I carry 3 to 5 and are go to with different stabilities filling different slots from bomber to rollers. Everyone I play with seems to say that they've never seen katanas actually turn before..
I ve had some stable duds but mostly good luck...now gstar...just great d , glide and turn