• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is “disc golf” a verb?

Sure.

Sometimes I wish the sport had a single word though, (well, besides frolf). Baseball. Basketball. Football. Hockey. Disc Golf. It's that duo glottal stop in between. Like Jack Crane. Drop the G? Discoff?

Eh.

Sure.

Sometimes I wish the sport had a single word though, (well, besides frolf). Baseball. Basketball. Football. Hockey. Disc Golf. It's that duo glottal stop in between. Like Jack Crane. Drop the G? Discoff?

Eh.

Ugh, now that you pointed it out my brain won't stop saying it like I'm Mario.

Let'sa go play some Disca Golfa!

if you can do it, it is a verb. not sure what the question is here.

Examples of Gerunds

As you read these examples of gerunds, notice the verbs they contain, and notice that every single one of them ends in ing. By the end of this quick lesson, you'll have no problem recognizing gerunds when you see them.

1. Swimming in the ocean has been Sharon's passion since she was five years old.
  2. The ballerina taught us dancing.
  3. Apologizing to me isn't enough this time.
  4. She is afraid of flying.
  5. They are capable of doing hard work.

Nope. Nor is "golf."

And while I'm at it, stay off my lawn.

if you can do it, it is a verb.

It is remarkable that your statement is, itself, literally false. "It" is not a verb even though it can be done.

Examples of why your statement is also false for other reasons: football, basketball, baseball, tennis, etc.

Disclaimer: I'm not a linguist, nor do I play one on TV.

----------------------
No one footballs, baseballs, tennis's, or hockeys.
They're nouns. The verb is play.

That said, language isn't static. It evolves.
People skateboard, picnic, and bike.

Even if words start out solely as nouns, they may eventually become verbs, when society establishes a pattern of using them for that part of speech.

*but ain't no one ever gonna football or baseball:\

Last edited:
No one footballs, baseballs, tennis's, or hockeys.
They're nouns. The verb is play.

That said, language isn't static. It evolves.
People skateboard, picnic, and bike.

Even if words start out solely as nouns, they can eventually become verbs when society established a pattern of using them for that part of speech.

I'm pretty sure I've been footballed before.

If discgolf were a verb, what would it mean?

Play a round of disc golf?
Practice throwing 14 speeds in a field?
Practice circle 2 putting?
Watching a DGPT event live?
Watching a video?

Disc golf is the activity. With no clarity on what the perceived verb or action is, I am going with no. Compound noun only.

But...I would also say I don't care one way or the other. :)

From the Oxford Dictionary

noun
noun: golf

a game played on a large open-air course, in which a small hard ball is struck with a club into a series of small holes in the ground, the object being to use the fewest possible strokes to complete the course.
a code word representing the letter G, used in radio communication.

verb
verb: golf; 3rd person present: golfs; past tense: golfed; past participle: golfed; gerund or present participle: golfing

play golf.

So we can assume that since golf is indeed a verb, disc could be considered adverb to the verb of golf.

TL;DR - Yes

My vote is yes, at least for day to day use. I'd think twice before using "disc golf" as a verb in a formal written piece.

Yes. It is one of those weird english words that can be both a noun and a verb depending upon usage. English is weird.... i before e except after c...isn't that weird?

I played disc golf yesterday.
I disc golfed yesterday.

Are we discussing IS it a verb, or SHOULD it be a verb?

I looked at several online dictionaries, and only one I found even lists disc golf as a word. That one only indicates its usage as a noun, though it does note that rock climb could be a noun or a verb.

So IS it a verb? No
Should it be? Maybe--but lets focus on getting it included as a noun first...

I was Disc Golfing at Bayville DGC. Disc Golfing is an action verb.

"Let's play disc golf" - golf is a noun

"Let's go disc golfing" - golfing is a verb (gerund to be precise, but still a form of a verb)

In both cases, "disc" is a modifier: adjective in the first sentence, adverb in the second

Last edited:

Latest posts