• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is disc weight all preference?

DMLara89

I'm new to the game, just bought my first discs about 3 weeks ago, and basically have bought all my discs around 174 grams. I was just wondering if weight is really just preference or if disc weight has anything to do with distance or control. I'm a 21 year old college kid and just want to make sure that I'm not loosing distance by not buying discs in the 170 or 168 range, or if I am ok with what I have been buying. Can anyone give me some clarification?

Thanks

what kinda discs did you buy?

it's a pretty touchy subject, disc weights. But in general -- Heavier discs tend to be more overstable (curve harder) than their lighter counterpart of the same disc. A Firebird that weighs 167 will still be much more overstable than a Leopard that is 175.

IMO heavier discs tend to go a little farther if you got the power for it. Lighter weights are easier to "get all of", but they will turn over into the ground if you throw them too hard. Lightweights don't fly well into a headwind, but can be useful with the wind at your back (toss it high and let the wind carry it).

There are certain exceptions of course...

The short of it on weights is, all other variables (and there are many) being equal:

Less weight = more distance
More weight = more control

Of course its more about the archer than his arrows. What might be the ideal weights for your arm might be too light or heavy for someone else. If your shots are fading too early, you might want a lighter disc.

174 may be okay for putters and mids, but could be too heavy for drivers at this time. It's not so much about distance, it's the ability to throw the disc and get the correct flight pattern out of it. But I'v always felt that having discs that are all the same weight is a good idea in the beginning to help develop a consistency in feel.

What has already been stated is true, and it's hard to say without knowing more about your ability. I started out with everything in the 167-168 range, and gradually increased weight. My distance drivers are still in the 169-171 range, though I'm using 180 mids and 172-175 fairways.

It will take alot more wrist strength and snap to get a heavy disc spinning correctly. I would continue to use the Technique section to learn more about throwing, as well as youtube, which is loaded with instructional videos. Stick with what you have for now, avoid the high speed drivers (anything over 7) and develop your form using putters, mid range, and fairway drivers.

To answer your question, weight is a prefference on distance and control.

Lighter discs, particularly faster ones, are easier to get up to speed required to throw them than heavier ones, but they do get squirly.

Mids I got heavy, Drivers in kind of a medium rate, except I do ocassionally go for a long distance driver in 150 when control is not as important as distance (wide open drives) and putters I go max weight.

I like my putters and mids heavy (close to max weight), my fairway drivers a little lighter (170-172), and my distance drivers a little lighter than that (165-168). The heavier slower discs give me more control and help me with windy shots, the lighter faster discs are easier to get up to speed to get good distance.

174 may be okay for putters and mids, but could be too heavy for drivers at this time.
That would be my guess as well.

Chances are with drivers (depending on the mold) you'll be able to get a bit more distance out of a 170ish gram disc than a 174g disc without losing any control. Again, depending on the mold, there's a good chance that distance difference won't be huge.

There's nothing wrong with the different weights. Lighter weights are better suited for a certain set of goals while heavier weights have slightly different effects on a disc and will be better suited for other goals.

In my mind, choosing your preferred weights comes down to what your priorities are. Until you decide your priorities you shouldn't worry about it.

There is another thread discussing the effect of weight choices.
Here it is.

I'd stay away from 150g... unless it's something that turns hard like a champion Eagle or Firebird. If it helps I throw about 300' and I have poor success with max weight drivers, they're too hard on my arm but 167g to 172g works for me. I use lighter drivers uphill and heavier downhill.

i keep my drivers in weight from 167-175 usually one of each in every mold. as someone stated before the lighter ones are easy to turn over, and imo the heavier disc seem to be more stable. but i do feel more accurate with a heavier driver.

Just being into this for about a year and couple months I have found starting out that staying in the 165 to 170 range was good for me. I have a couple 150's but seem to turn them over to easily.

Really just preference and what works for you. I prefer drivers 165 to 170. Lighter weights turnover and are inconsistent. Heavier weights and I seem to lose some distance. I prefer mids and putters near max weight for control.

I think everyone ought to start lighter and try heavier discs later. Maybe 160 range max to begin.

I guess it is an opinion if you are offering advice or saying why you like that weight in that disc. But it is not a preference when you know that different weights do different things for you. I am a fan of heavy putters, mids, and fairway drivers. But I like both heavy and light drivers because they fly differently for me.Such as the fast discs like 12 and 13, I like to go a little lighter, like 170g.

if your just learning it wouldnt be a bad idea to start with 150 class discs. it will show flaws in your form better than heavier weights.

Can anyone give me some clarification?

Thanks

Disc weight also depends on what your arm can handle. Someone without a lot of speed and snap would fare horribly with a 175g driver. Even a slower one like a Leopard. But a 150g will work better.

I've had to back off on my throwing due to injuries. 150s have been a game saver for me. A round of 18 with 170s kills my shoulder.

I hear alot of max mids and putters. Just want to put it out there that most could stand their mids around 174 and putters around 170.

Sorry, I had to leave before I finished my post. When my daughters were playing (before I injured myself) I was throwing a 170 or so Teebird and Viking. These were too much for them. Eventually my oldest daughter ended up with a 150 Teebird. The 150 worked well for her but she never developed the arm for the 170.

Since you're young and probably healthy normal weight stuff should be just fine. If you find that you can't control a disc, a lighter version may be the ticket.

As for myself, I like my drivers at 150, mids 165 and putters 175. I find that if don't have to really crank on a disc I can go heavier.

It is true that heavier discs can mask bad form. Be mindful of that.

There are great players who used 150 discs their whole lives.

Latest posts