• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is the 10 Meter Rule Too Close?

Is the 10 Meter Rule Too Close, Should It Be Expanded?

• Yes

Votes: 60 24.1%
  • No

Votes: 189 75.9%

• Total voters
Seriously, ALL JUMP PUTTS ARE ILLEGAL! Sorry for the yelling but I get so tired of people calling them jump putts when it should be putt jumps.

If you see somebody jump putt, call them on it. That simple. If you don't putt jump, more power to you. If you do, good for you. Make sure you do it legally and there will be no issue.

/anger at misuse of terminology

Chill. I don't think the O.P. was objecting to jump putts or putt jumps because they're hard to call, but because they're goofy looking.

My comment --

It's too late in the game now to not call it "the putting circle", or the 10meter circle defining the difference between a "throw" and a "putt". I mean I know people who never actually "putt". Even at 15 feet they are still making a throw, albeit a stand & deliver throw. SO for the sake of discussion, it's only really a circle that determines how you must release the disc, nothing else.

Now, that being said, 10m is fine with me. As I have debated long ago on this topic, guys like me (or when I was young I should say), 6'5, long arms, big hands and (once upon a time) with great leaping ability could seriously increase my percentage if I were allowed to just take from my marker like I used to take off for a high-flying dunk. Leave the rule on this as is -- enforce it on the course -- and the game will be fine. I mean what's the difference between that and a flying 3-pt shot in basketball as the shot clock's about to expire?

Note that even without the 10-meter circle, you couldn't do a flying putt. You could, however, do a serious leaning/falling putt if you kept your foot behind the marker until you released (or dunked, within about 8').

I always tell people if they're going to jump-putt from just outside the circle, they're just going to overshoot the basket. They usually do. You don't need that much power from 33'. Now 50', that's completely different and I have gotten good results putting from that range with some extra leg power. Should we expand the circle? I don't think so. I would support not allowing people to land in/fall into the circle.

I still think it should be a default of 10m, but course designer/TD can adjust that if designed into the course.

You could have oval shaped "putting green", through either rope/paint (temp at tourney) or through course vegetation/cutting/planks/rocks/wood chips etc. (i think idlewild has a couple holes with this , but not related to this putting stance rule)

Or hourglass shaped greens. or square, or off centered, whatever. Create some difference and uniqueness to the "Green" at each hole. (as time went on, new courses would have this design element built in to it. Or old courses could be redesigned to incorporate this. That way it wouldn't all be paint/rope.)

Basically, if you are within the confines of "the green" as designed on that hole, you cannot go past your marker. If you are not within the confines, you can. (obviously discretion would be needed so as not to make the WHOLE course "the green")

There is a course by me with some really cool mowing into almost "islands" at each tee and basket. I might try it out next time I play and only allowed to go past my marker outside the greens. There are a couple holes with pretty large greens, and a couple with tighter (based on length of hole) So it will really show some differences on some longer putts than 10m where i can't go past my marker. See if it makes any sense out on the course, instead of just in a discussion forum.

Silly looking things should be disallowed?

Ball golf, a sport with a much more refined culture and a rich history has not yet banned this "silly" looking technique.

I still think it should be a default of 10m, but course designer/TD can adjust that if designed into the course.

You could have oval shaped "putting green", through either rope/paint (temp at tourney) or through course vegetation/cutting/planks/rocks/wood chips etc. (i think idlewild has a couple holes with this , but not related to this putting stance rule)

Or hourglass shaped greens. or square, or off centered, whatever. Create some difference and uniqueness to the "Green" at each hole. (as time went on, new courses would have this design element built in to it. Or old courses could be redesigned to incorporate this. That way it wouldn't all be paint/rope.)

Basically, if you are within the confines of "the green" as designed on that hole, you cannot go past your marker. If you are not within the confines, you can. (obviously discretion would be needed so as not to make the WHOLE course "the green")

There is a course by me with some really cool mowing into almost "islands" at each tee and basket. I might try it out next time I play and only allowed to go past my marker outside the greens. There are a couple holes with pretty large greens, and a couple with tighter (based on length of hole) So it will really show some differences on some longer putts than 10m where i can't go past my marker. See if it makes any sense out on the course, instead of just in a discussion forum.

I think this would have the exact opposite effect as in ball golf though. The goal in ball golf is to get to the green so that you can than putt in. So if the pin is off center, you may err on the green side to make sure you still have a putt with the next shot.

With your proposal, the "green" becomes a limiting space where putting is harder. So in an off center pin, you'll want to end up on the "rough" side to keep the option to jump/step/fall past your marker.

I think this would have the exact opposite effect as in ball golf though. The goal in ball golf is to get to the green so that you can than putt in. So if the pin is off center, you may err on the green side to make sure you still have a putt with the next shot.

With your proposal, the "green" becomes a limiting space where putting is harder. So in an off center pin, you'll want to end up on the "rough" side to keep the option to jump/step/fall past your marker.

So you put the bigger part of the green in the safer landing zone. You go for the riskier shot, you might get rewarded with an easier putt. You play it safe and end up in the extended side of the green and you're putting without a follow through.

My two cents: this sounds kinda like a solution looking for a problem.

As long as everyone has the same rule book, it's 6 the one, half dozen the other, IMO.

So you put the bigger part of the green in the safer landing zone. You go for the riskier shot, you might get rewarded with an easier putt. You play it safe and end up in the extended side of the green and you're putting without a follow through.

That is true. I guess the point I was getting at is that the "green" in disc golf is very different than ball golf. In ball golf, the green is a safe putting sanctuary whereas in disc golf it's actually a limiting space that makes putting more difficult.

To try to use the disc golf circle as ball golf uses the green is a very flawed mindset.

Is this really detracting from your ability to enjoy the game?

IMO - much ado about nothing.
I'm not saying it's a wonderful rule, but I have no issue with no jump putts and/or falling putts within the circle. Plant your feet on the ground, eye your target and shoot. Please restrict further complications to yourself.

Last edited:
Seriously, ALL JUMP PUTTS ARE ILLEGAL! Sorry for the yelling but I get so tired of people calling them jump putts when it should be putt jumps. y

RIght!
And Tomatoes are FRUIT!

And stable does not mean over-stable

And just because everyone understands what you mean because the words have been said that way for many years before I started playing, doesn't mean that you don't have to change it to my arbitrary definition!

Also, lets switch "parkway" with "driveway" while we're at it.

RIght!
And Tomatoes are FRUIT!

And just because everyone understands what you mean because the words have been said that way for many years before I started playing, doesn't mean that you don't have to change it to my arbitrary definition!

lol.....my thoughts exactly.

That is true. I guess the point I was getting at is that the "green" in disc golf is very different than ball golf. In ball golf, the green is a safe putting sanctuary whereas in disc golf it's actually a limiting space that makes putting more difficult.

To try to use the disc golf circle as ball golf uses the green is a very flawed mindset.

Excellent point. Never thought about it that way.

I think you should be able to jump at the basket from anywhere and only have to release the disc before you touch down. I think this dunking approach to putting would attract more athletes and urban youth to our sport.

This better be sarcasm if you know what's good for you. :|

I agree it could really be called the opposite of a ball golf green. Which to me is fine. Personally i'd rather be close to the basket no matter what. a friend of mine would much rather land where he can jump putt. He does a very good (legal) jump putt and is better from 35' than 30' due to that.

We would both attack the hole differently. for me I would attack to the closest i could get, with no concern for the "Green" He would attack the hole attempting to land at a spot nearer the basket, but where he could "jump putt".

I just know I enjoy playing courses where i really have to think about my upshot and where it is landing, instead of "as long as i'm within 25' i'm cool and will have a good view." Adds to the strategy, which to me is a fun aspect of the game.

Just think of it as exactly the opposite, and it has the same basic effect. You put the fat part of the green where ball golf would put the narrow part and vice versa. It is a very different concept, but I think it's still worth thinking about how golf greens and pin placements on them are used to increase challenge and variety.

RIght!
And Tomatoes are FRUIT!

and "Donkey Kong" with "monkey's uncle"... and so on...

I would rather that they just eliminate it. I don't jump putt and I do think it makes our game look stupid. Many will disagree.

I think overhands look silly, and I can't throw them. Can we ban those too?