• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is there money to be made in disc golf

the day innova has a highrise bldg is the day i dust off my janitorial skills, work for 2 weeks sweeping up dx plastic, sleep on the roof, break into the secret disc stash closet and throw discs til i puke off the roof in which i indeed sleep on... or something like that

the best way to consistently make money in DG is to stay in AM forever as a bagger and sell the plastic that you win :thmbup:

i think its funny when this question comes up. most of the top pros do not get transportation and room costs covered by sponsors. whoever mentioned the memorial and pros staying with locals was right. and most "pros" arent paid anything by their sponsors other than plastic and merch.

ESPN might eventually cover some events but i dont think we'll see 6 figure payouts for a long time if ever. i like to compare it to pro BMX'ers. a handful of them make a comfortable living. so all sorts of kids think if they start hucking themselves and get in the X-Games then they can make a bunch of money too. even if you cash at a contest and win $10,000 for first place how much of your winnings go to taxes at the end of the year?

back to disc golf, the pros pretty much all have day jobs or work during the off season. and besides even if you were really good and won $20-30,000 for ten years straight what are you going to do when your disc golf career is done? go get a job at wal-mart?

This is what has destroyed every sport out there. "How much money can I make?" Why is it that people find something fun that they might be good at and suddenly put a price tag on it and turn to greed? I just think that a true disc golfer plays for the fun of the game and not for money.

But, maybe that is just me.

Now if you donated all the money you made, that would be worth it.

I agree what kind of greedy a sshole are you to want to make money doing what you love. Sellout a ssholes. :confused::doh::wall:

If I could get paid to do something I love every day I would be all over it. Not greedy at all.

Originally Posted by Three Putt
Disc golf has had a problem all along in that it developed upside-down. Frisbee sports developed from a marketing idea at Wham-O that the Frisbee could be transitioned from the sales boom and bust that is the toy market to the sporting goods market, which offered more stable long-term sales for the company. To do that, Wham-O created the International Frisbee Association (paid for out of the Wham-O marketing budget) and propped up a bunch of events financially where professional Frisbee players (many of them on the IFA payroll) would compete for Wham-O's money. From the outside, it looked like a legitimate sports phenomenon. In reality it was a house of cards balanced on Wham-O's checkbook.

We come from that. The original PDGA was set up just like the IFA because it was set up by the same guy who created the IFA. Ed Headrick was the marketing guy behind the IFA and the professional Frisbee players he propped up with IFA events were the players he brought in to play in the early PDGA events. Because of that, there was "professional" disc golf before there was amateur disc golf. Upside-down.

So, what happened? Well you had cool things like the $50,000 Huntington Beach tournament in 1979, but the model was not sustainable. Wham-O was bought out, the new company had no interest in throwing money at Frisbee freaks, the IFA was shut down and Frisbee sports had to find a new path without their cash cow.

Ed Headrick realized the gig was up and turned the PDGA over to the players. Those players were the same IFA guys that just had the rug pulled out from underneath them. The course they set the PDGA on, the course disc golf is still following, was to go on like disc golf was a viable professional sport and wait for the next cash cow to come along. The fact that disc golf wasn't then and isn't now a viable professional sport didn't and doesn't seem to matter. That was in '83-'84, somewhere around there. So for the last 27 or 28 years we have been having this same ridiculous conversation that we are "right there," and any second now disc golf is going to hit the big time on somebody else's money.

The problem with that is A) it's not happening and B) players buy into the dream and get disillusioned when it doesn't happen. It's been the ongoing cycle, and it's nothing new. It might seem worse now, but it's nothing new. It's been going on for almost 30 years now.

The USDGC is a smaller version of the same thing the IFA was. It's a money suckhole propped up on Innova's checkbook. They obviously bit down on the dream when they started it and thought that Coke or some other big $$$ company would have picked the event up off their checkbook by now. It didn't happen. Now they are re-thinking the event and their financial commitment to it, and everyone is screaming that they are taking something away from us. What it really shows is that we were not nearly ready for it when they gave it to us, and the dream is still as far away as it was 27 years ago.

The whole idea of disc golf sustaining a touring group of professional players is absurd. The only reason people don't see it as absurd is because it's been going on for so long. When you really look at the money, it's not there. Not anywhere close. We have a long, long way to go before we can support touring pros. It sucks if you are really good and have bit down on the PDGA dream, but the reality is that it's a mirage.

Only the best of the best actually can earn a living playing disc golf. If that's not you then I wouldn't even think about it.

I know a way for ME to make some cash. Just send me $20 and I'll tell you which is the best putter out there. For an extra $10, I'll even throw in the answer to the age old question "what's better, a Buzzz or a Roc?" Sorry, I'm just really bored right now!

wow grodney great post. I learned more in that post about the history of disc golf than I have read anywhere else. When I posed the question in the OP i figured there were very few people who could make money but I figured I would ask since I didn't know.

wow grodney great post. I learned more in that post about the history of disc golf than I have read anywhere else. When I posed the question in the OP i figured there were very few people who could make money but I figured I would ask since I didn't know.

if you notice, grodney posted at the beginning of the post "originally posted by three putt". :)

The info is out there. If you cared enough you'd find it on your own. :rolleyes:

DG is a lot like snowboarding was 10 or 15 years ago. It has its top 5 or 10 pros that can make a modest living but there really is no money in playing the game. All the money is in products right now and there isn't that much there eather.

If DG could make it as an olympic sport it may have a chance but it has to last more than one year in the olympics for it to really make a difference.

IMO money is not important in DG. The important thing is having fun with friends. Who cares if you can make money at it. Sports are for recreation our culture has forgotten that sports are about fun not money. They are supposed to teach sportsmanship to children and break up the monotony of day to day life.

DO YOU REALLY WANT A DISC GOLF LOCK OUT. Money can bring down any great game given enough time.

Just MO like it or not....

If DG could make it as an olympic sport it may have a chance but it has to last more than one year in the olympics for it to really make a difference.
Considering the Olympics only happen every four years, I think we're screwed.

DO YOU REALLY WANT A DISC GOLF LOCK OUT.
Why not? Considering that disc golf pros only work for themselves, it would be only their own throats they would be cutting, and even if it somehow happened, it wouldn't effect me in the slightest.

Considering the Olympics only happen every four years, I think we're screwed.

Why not? Considering that disc golf pros only work for themselves, it would be only their own throats they would be cutting, and even if it somehow happened, it wouldn't effect me in the slightest.

The olympics is what made snowboarding really main stream that was my point there.

If more money is involved in DG there will be more contracts and such. That was my Lock Out reference.

As B.I.G. said "Mo Money Mo Problems"

Latest posts