• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is THIS what we want?

Do you want more of this in disc golf?

• Yes

Votes: 23 15.8%
  • No

Votes: 79 54.1%
  • Shut the hell up

Votes: 44 30.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm going to start posting in every thread that jump putting is the one, main and only problem with the pro tour or anything disc golf related.

I bet I get banned in a week.
You have to stay. Who else is going to answer 86 Softie questions?

That's like saying you want all BOLF greens to have the pin located on flat ground in the center of the green, but you want putting to be tougher.

Why would you possibly limit the course design to all baskets at exactly the same height? I think the basic elevated green concept we saw at Belton was pretty good.

Some areas it's not achievable but I would try and put the pin in a location where 20-60 foot rollaways are not common. As far as the elevated mounds. I like them if they are large enough to have a flatter area on top. Not a fan of small dumpy ones which usually roll away. That's just silly.

You know that they never put the pin in a location on a steep slope in stick golf right? Where the ball doesn't want to stop? Yes it is in flatter areas. Not flat, flatter. A reasonable area to land and stop.

Absolutely. That hole at Belton is one where you are routinely having to throw a RHBH approach to an elevated pin placement with a severe slope behind the basket. The easy way out is to bail out short and left with that RHBH approach, so the "meatsticks" act as punishment should a player end up in that exact spot. I have no problem with that layout of the hole. Ideally, you would like to see something like bushes or small trees in that space, but I do like the look of a fortified mound for a disc golf green. It looks more intentional than just a repurposed golf hole.

"Should jump putting be mandatory for all putts?" Then take the 95%....No votes and unequivocally state that nobody likes jump putting. :thmbup:

[SARCASM]You might be onto something there. Since it is illegal to jump putt for all true putts (within 10m), you would automatically add one penalty throw to every putt. The player either does an illegal jump putt or gets penalized for not doing a jump putt.

Plus all the extra misses that would result from people using a less accurate putting method.

Woo-hoo! More throws from near the target - real and pretend! No way we won't feel like real men, I mean, a real sport with that much punishment! Finally!

I guess put me in the 5% of yeses?[/SARCASM]

Either you're misquoting, or you and those people don't understand the word "gimmick".

I can misuse that word too: The 2016 Dash for Ca$h had a gimmick that they didn't repeat in any subsequent year: a round using nothing but tiny baskets.

Maybe flimflam and chicanery are better words to describe those gimmicky raised baskets, triple mandos and miles of string? :thmbup:

He is just making stuff up and saying it. Then uses it as fact to make up more stuff in the next two posts. Then uses those as facts to make up stuff in the next post. By the end, his opinion is supported by "facts". Nothing is solved, no problem exists and millions need to be spent to implement something nobody wants. Where have you been?

Read the posts here. They are absolutely nothing but fallacy, suppositions and fairy tales. Results stated with no research or testing. Preferences stated with no data or input. The entire premise of the problem, (putting is too easy) is supported by nearly nobody. That alone make the entire discussion an exercise in fantasy. But, it seems to keep us engaged.....like a car wreck.

Do you want a link to the poll? People do not like raised baskets and other chicanery.

This poll and the one I did. This one is maybe 83% while the other was 86% against gimmicks.

Maybe the 14% are the idiots? Ever consider that?
Here is one of your polls and the results. Having a preference doesn't equate to being against the other option. I also prefer baskets at a standard height unless on a natural hill or slope but it certainly doesn't mean I'm here posting the same thing day after day against raised baskets.

Which do you prefer?
Raised baskets and artificial OB/ropes 17 17.71%
Standard height and natural rough 79 82.29%

Last edited:
Some areas it's not achievable but I would try and put the pin in a location where 20-60 foot rollaways are not common. As far as the elevated mounds. I like them if they are large enough to have a flatter area on top. Not a fan of small dumpy ones which usually roll away. That's just silly.

You know that they never put the pin in a location on a steep slope in stick golf right? Where the ball doesn't want to stop? Yes it is in flatter areas. Not flat, flatter. A reasonable area to land and stop.

I didn't like the mound with the platform on #17 at Belton, but the turtles were not too bad. Creating a manmade elevated dirt mound that the disc can actually sit down seems like a reasonable design for a hole with minimal additional challenges.

Maybe flimflam and chicanery are better words to describe those gimmicky raised baskets, triple mandos and miles of string? :thmbup:

Bedazzling the tee signs, gold plating the baskets, and having each tee pad shaped like a different sillhoette of Space Jam characters... those are gimmicks. Something that is just for show, and doesn't meaningfully affect play. Elevated baskets and obstacles on the green create scoring separation, rewarding players that had more accurate approaches or those who have spent time on putts from unusual stances.

You just don't like the look of them, right? But there are some naturally raised baskets on zen-garden-like rock piles I think you could get behind. Or tunnel shots, beatifully framed by tightly packed trees that, score-wise, play out just like a triple mando. Wanting course designers to make these features aesthetically pleasing is a fair argument (I don't like the look of the bamboo wall, myself). Saying "we can eliminate these gimmicks by having every stop on tour put in 18 tiny baskets on perfectly flat open ground" isn't a fair argument, because it isn't even the issue.

I didn't like the mound with the platform on #17 at Belton, but the turtles were not too bad. Creating a manmade elevated dirt mound that the disc can actually sit down seems like a reasonable design for a hole with minimal additional challenges.

Like I said if it was larger on top with a flatter area, maybe 15 feet by 15. That would seem reasonable to me, but they basically had zero flat top and rollaways were nearly guaranteed if you hit the basket and missed. I know Ricks stayed, but I wouldn't count on being that lucky.

I'm all for reducing luck and increasing skill. Smaller baskets do that by not only rewarding the better upshots but also making players putt skillfully. You want to line drive it warp speed go ahead, but you're going to 3 putt much more! How about some touch, using height and speed control, side angle and nose angle control. I want to see players challenged and different elements used which are not.

Bedazzling the tee signs, gold plating the baskets, and having each tee pad shaped like a different sillhoette of Space Jam characters... those are gimmicks. Something that is just for show, and doesn't meaningfully affect play. Elevated baskets and obstacles on the green create scoring separation, rewarding players that had more accurate approaches or those who have spent time on putts from unusual stances.

You just don't like the look of them, right? But there are some naturally raised baskets on zen-garden-like rock piles I think you could get behind. Or tunnel shots, beatifully framed by tightly packed trees that, score-wise, play out just like a triple mando. Wanting course designers to make these features aesthetically pleasing is a fair argument (I don't like the look of the bamboo wall, myself). Saying "we can eliminate these gimmicks by having every stop on tour put in 18 tiny baskets on perfectly flat open ground" isn't a fair argument, because it isn't even the issue.

I don't like how raised baskets play mostly. More layups and they catch poorly from shorter distances, especially a headwind.

Like I said if it was larger on top with a flatter area, maybe 15 feet by 15. That would seem reasonable to me, but they basically had zero flat top and rollaways were nearly guaranteed if you hit the basket and missed. I know Ricks stayed, but I wouldn't count on being that lucky.

I'm all for reducing luck and increasing skill. Smaller baskets do that by not only rewarding the better upshots but also making players putt skillfully. You want to line drive it warp speed go ahead, but you're going to 3 putt much more! How about some touch, using height and speed control, side angle and nose angle control. I want to see players challenged and different elements used which are not.

"PUTTING IS TOO EASY, BUT IF YOU MISS YOU SHOULDN'T ROLL AWAY BECAUSE THATS NOT FAIR."

Is this your entire argument? Because MAKING SMART SHOTS IS PART OF PLAYING DISC GOLF WELL.