• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Issues throwing understable plastic

kyledstauffer

Eagle Member
I'm hoping one of you technique gurus can help me out with some issues I've been having lately. I can't seem to throw understable discs (rivers and loes) to save my life! The just turn and burn to the right (RHBH). They start out going right and just keep on going - usually into the trees/bushes haha. Should I be hyzer flipping them or do I have release angle issues? For reference I throw a teebird around 315 and I'm maxing my orc around 350. I don't throw anything faster.

If you have the means, can we see a video of you throwing?

It sounds like OAT to me. But you could also be too open on your release, by that i mean, when you reach back, then pull through you are likely facig the target more squarely than you should be. Instead of your elbow and shoulder pointing at the target, its your chest, does that make sense?

Either way OAT is likely the culprit here by the sound of it

Those Teebirds and orcs will work well when thrown slightly anny. Understable discs obviously wont. A lot of people think they are throwing flat when they are actually releasing anny. It's hard to tell yourself from your own eyes.
So if you can't post a video from behind the teepad, have your dg buddies watch for the angle at release.

From what you describe you have angle issues. I would go to the field or to a hole that you can just throw hyzers on and launch as many understable discs you have fooling around with the hyzer angle needed to get it to hyzer flip. One thing I do sometimes is I get my body leaning backwards during my throw and I end up torquing the disc over and it goes way right. Make sure the disc is even with your forearm through out the entire throw...any angle differential may be causing OAT (yuck) and we've all been there. Work on throwing them without full power and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes when I try to put a little extra into it I end up with a wrist roll and it makes the disc turn and burn.

I can get a video up soon. I've been meaning to do so anyway. It's snowing/hailing? right now but I'll try to get out there in a day or two and shoot some footage. Thanks guys. I suspect that I'm releasing on an anhyzer angle unconsciously when it feels like flat to me. I've been strong arming for about a year and didn't know it...now that I realize it changing is tough haha

You can control how understable the disc is (how much the disc will turn) in three ways: the speed at which you throw it, the angle of your release (like a hyzer flip as opposed to a flat release), and how high you throw it (nose angle). Just gotta play with those variables and learn each disc and the lines you're able to throw with them.

You can control how understable the disc is (how much the disc will turn) in three ways: the speed at which you throw it, the angle of your release (like a hyzer flip as opposed to a flat release), and how high you throw it (nose angle). Just gotta play with those variables and learn each disc and the lines you're able to throw with them.

simple and solid info :thmbup:

I agree that a vid will help and I am no BH expert but could it be wrist roll as well. It seems like a Teebird at 315' would tolerate some wrist roll but a understable disc will no at all. I am a FH guys but I know this is true with FH throws. Overstable disc's hide flaws no matter what way you throw them so it may be more than one thing.

I agree that a vid will help and I am no BH expert but could it be wrist roll as well. It seems like a Teebird at 315' would tolerate some wrist roll but a understable disc will no at all. I am a FH guys but I know this is true with FH throws. Overstable disc's hide flaws no matter what way you throw them so it may be more than one thing.

What is this wrist roll you speak of? I'm familar with OAT, and the other terms discussed so far, but wrist roll is new to me

Wrist roll is a specific term in the general spectrum of OAT.

Before your release you are holding the disc on one angle and just before the release you turn your wrist, changing the angle and causing all kinds of unpleasentness

Try to make sure that your disc sits in the middle of your hand. Place the disc below your index finger joint and above the one for the middle finger, them make sure the back of the disc is in the but crack of your hand. This will help keep the disc aligned with your arm and should help.

If you don't want it to turn over, put more hyzer on it. Understable discs are supposed to turn over(if thrown properly) sometime during it's flight. The way you are describing it though it does sound like OAT. If I try to rip any one of my understable discs too hard it will do the same thing. Take a little bit off of the power and focus on the angle the disc is coming out of your hands and I'm sure you will correct this problem soon enough

I had trouble with wrist roll. I tried to strong arm it too much and that caused me to bend slightly backwards. This also caused my wrist/arm to follow or roll over.

Latest posts