It may seem harsh, but when I see somebody reach for their Mamba I cringe a little

random guy

Your card mate steps up to the tee. There is a 10mph headwind and a water hazard in play. What to throw here? Why, his trusty Mamba of course!

I've seen this scenario play out too many times to count.

This is not an indictment of people who may have slower arm speeds, or flippy discs in general (I love my sidewinder). I actually think it takes a lot of skill to throw these discs well.

I'm more talking about those people who use flippy discs as a crux, looking for easy distance while sacrificing accuracy and in many cases neglecting their form.

It's mostly frustrating because a lot of people I see doing this would vastly improve if they chose a more suitable disc, maybe going down in weight or speed. But for some reason they choose to beat their head against the wall instead.

I've been throwing a Star Mamba for 4 years now, 6 months after I started playing. My only ace was with the Mamba into a 20-mph headwind when I was still learning different molds, limited number of discs, and didn't know much better. My home course can have strong wind eight months of the year, so I've learned to play the wind with Mamba as with other disc. My favorite Mamba wind play is into a 45-degree headwind for a turn flip coming back across the fairway or with any helping crosswind for some of my longer throws all in the open. However, just how far offline nobody knows. I'm actually using it less, as I'm now more likely to use more reliable disc such as a Fission Wave or an S-line DD for wind play, and other options. Tomorrow, I'm not even bringing it with me for 15 mph wind, I have a new VIP Northman I'll use in its place. The Mamba is getting used less now, and more out of the bag, but it was a good learning experience when I was a new player.

@lee76007 you are saying a wave is more reliable?!? Yikes haha. I ain't throwing no snake in the grass.

Haha I play with a guy who rocks a full bag of US crap, his favourite is Archy his archangel.. and it hammers him, I play with another dude Kelly that makes that thing work anytime and everytime.

Last edited:
Mamba is a bomber disc as long as it's not beat to snot or lightweight they can handle 450 feet of power easily. It does need a lot of left and right room if there's head or crosswind.

I cringe on the other side of it. There's way too many people throwing 12 speeds nose up who suffer needlessly.

I played a team challenge event recently where poor bro I was playing against was trying his darndest to crank over a halo destroyer or some super wide rim mvp disc and was either skipping into the shit or dumping out way early, I was just cruising right past him with a vandal.

Mamba is a bomber disc as long as it's not beat to snot or lightweight they can handle 450 feet of power easily. It does need a lot of left and right room if there's head or crosswind.

I cringe on the other side of it. There's way too many people throwing 12 speeds nose up who suffer needlessly.

I played a team challenge event recently where poor bro I was playing against was trying his darndest to crank over a halo destroyer or some super wide rim mvp disc and was either skipping into the shit or dumping out way early, I was just cruising right past him with a vandal.
Yep, the overstable off axis torque monkeys are way worse than the mamba flippers.

I cringe every time someone pulls out a Firebird type disc and then tells me how they can "flip" it because they have so much power.

They then proceed to crank the most off-axis torque monkey shot you ever did see, where their disc never actually flips, they just send it 75 feet right of where they wanted it to go.

Or nose Down doing Burners and using an 11/12 speed or higher.

It's always a Mamba, too
Not always, I have seen same deal only with a Katana, making up for how wide rim is by using a Katana where Katana is for good--great players like a Dragon, Valkryie, Archon, for most other players and getting a wimpy arm Destroyer flight like I do only a little bit further by 25 feet or 7.75 yards.

Last edited:
Speaking of Mamba. I just pulled into Virginia Beach Bayview course it's overcast and Misty. I will be throwing a lot of Star Mambas, gstar Tern, Fission Insanity, and VIP Air Northman to get some distance back. that blue you see is from my windshield tint not clear skies.

Attachments

• 20240327_075300.jpg
    20240327_075300.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Your card mate steps up to the tee. There is a 10mph headwind and a water hazard in play. What to throw here? Why, his trusty Mamba of course!

I've seen this scenario play out too many times to count.

This is not an indictment of people who may have slower arm speeds, or flippy discs in general (I love my sidewinder). I actually think it takes a lot of skill to throw these discs well.

I'm more talking about those people who use flippy discs as a crux, looking for easy distance while sacrificing accuracy and in many cases neglecting their form.

It's mostly frustrating because a lot of people I see doing this would vastly improve if they chose a more suitable disc, maybe going down in weight or speed. But for some reason they choose to beat their head against the wall instead.
This might be me, lol. I have 3 Mambas in my bag, all 3 fly different. I've been throwing Mambas for 4-5 years, so I know how to handle them pretty well. If I need a bit more stability, I'll throw a Westside King. I'm 67 and can only throw like 280' now.:cry: **Edit: We don't get much wind, and if we do I stay off the course. It becomes dangerous out there if it gets over 20mph.

Last edited:
I guess this commentary is more of a strategy discussion - flippy distance drives into headwinds are very touchy. If a golfer want more consistency then use a more stable mold of the same speed (or lower speed for more control) or step up in speed/weight if distance is still needed.

Definitely players on both sides of the stability spectrum that stubbornly stick to the same mold on every distance tee shot (Destroyer OS flex or Mamba US).

I do groan a little playing with folks as described in OP w/ Kansas winds. Mamba in the right hands can be a tailwind bomber though out in the open Prairie/Plains.

Or perhaps it's just about the smugness of mocking someone's disc choices.

I've come to think that there are so many models, because there are so many arms, and every disc is the right disc for someone.

As for the Mamba, I and what's left of my old arm had one that was one of my go-to drivers. Maybe it was the model, maybe it was the weight, maybe it was whatever variable the gods put into discs as they leave the factory. Straight to slightly flippy and one of the longer discs in my bag. I smiled at the "sacrificing accuracy" in the original post, because mine was very accurate on long wooded fairways, compared to the discs I might choose for more open holes.

The most I'll concede is that there's a point, early in their disc golf career, when some players could use some guidance on disc selection. Not so much new players, who are just learning to love the game, and whose form tends to be more variable than the discs themselves. And not the ones who've played a while and decided what they like. But somewhere between those levels.

I guess this commentary is more of a strategy discussion - flippy distance drives into headwinds are very touchy. If a golfer want more consistency then use a more stable mold of the same speed (or lower speed for more control) or step up in speed/weight if distance is still needed.

Definitely players on both sides of the stability spectrum that stubbornly stick to the same mold on every distance tee shot (Destroyer OS flex or Mamba US).

I do groan a little playing with folks as described in OP w/ Kansas winds. Mamba in the right hands can be a tailwind bomber though out in the open Prairie/Plains.
I know Deal in Pierre (Pier) South Dakota we have some of more constant 20 MPH winds of all of South Dakota. I have one time played in winds where gusts were 45--50 MPH and a sevier wind warning came out, so bad n 2017 I had to putt my newer 2016 Star Shark around 175 grams with flashing so bad some most parts with flashing were 1/2--1 inch of flasching as my 2014 pro Shark same weight was not overstable enough for winds. That is how I finally got my Star Shark usable enough for short midrange/overstable approach shots or long putts in way I use my disc still.

I have always used a DX Dragon for said tailwind max D and Valkyrie roginal DX and lats Champion/glow or Star for a control tailwind around 170--172 grams as well as when my current Dragon wears out, 2 around 145 DX F2 Valkyrie discs.

I got 145 DX Valkyrie discs for $4 on sale 2022 during he F2 summer sale where I was originally looking for Archon in Star going F2 as mold buying 3--4 as was just made oop and all regular run was sold out to idiots banking on reselling Star Archon for $50 each on e-Bay or for bidding wars with minimum start $25. Nobody wants F2 as collectors value is not there even when 90% of the time it is a fine thrower and easy to see, I just write name of mold sometimes plastic on disc so I can find mold easy. I have Archon 166--167 grams for a longer Valkyrie line, only Archon is not great for a tailwind as mold needs more wind even going lighter in same plastic.

As long as people are outside, enjoying themselves playing disc golf then who cares? Maybe give them a pointer if they ask for it, otherwise let them have fun.

Latest posts